My Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor Fault light

brianlajoie

On my 2012 F350 SRW, I've gone to 110 PSI tires and I keep getting a warning message: Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor Fault. This isn't a low pressure message on a tire.

I'm running Toyo M143Z fronts and Toyo M608Z rears when I tow.

It happens more often when the temperature gets above about 70 degrees (but it varies). I've been to a couple of dealers and they have reset the TPMS in the tires, but this does not fix it. I've also change the pressure in the front tires from 80 to 100 PSI thinking the difference in pressure between the front and rear tires is causing the problem. Does anyone know if Ford makes a sensor that will monitor higher pressure readings? I'm thinking this may be the issue. Does anyone have a contact at Ford (not a dealer or a tire shop) that I can contact? I also have the reverse problem when I put my OEM tires back on when I'm not towing.

avvidclif

Go by a scale when loaded and get your weights. The fronts are set for 60 PSI and that's all they need for the front end. The rears are set for 80. I don't know if there is a over pressure setting or not. How much weight are you putting on it to need that kind of tires and pressure?????

Bones

On my 2012 F350 SRW, I've gone to 110 PSI tires and I keep getting a warning message: Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor Fault. This isn't a low pressure message on a tire.

I'm running Toyo M143Z fronts and Toyo M608Z rears when I tow.

It happens more often when the temperature gets above about 70 degrees (but it varies). I've been to a couple of dealers and they have reset the TPMS in the tires, but this does not fix it. I've also change the pressure in the front tires from 80 to 100 PSI thinking the difference in pressure between the front and rear tires is causing the problem. Does anyone know if Ford makes a sensor that will monitor higher pressure readings? I'm thinking this may be the issue. Does anyone have a contact at Ford (not a dealer or a tire shop) that I can contact? I also have the reverse problem when I put my OEM tires back on when I'm not towing.

I'm not sure if they make a higher pressure sensor. I definitely think you are exceeding the sensor limits though. Why do you swap the tires out? You could just run the truck tires all the time.

jnbhobe

Are you using stock Ford Wheels if you are are they rated for 110 PSI

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

brianlajoie

I'm not sure if they make a higher pressure sensor. I definitely think you are exceeding the sensor limits though. Why do you swap the tires out? You could just run the truck tires all the time.

I could agree that I may be exceeding the sensor limits, but I cannot find anyone who knows anything about this. I'm wondering if Ford makes a sensor with a higher limit.

I run the load range G tire for safety reasons. On the crew cab, I am over weight on the rear drivers side tire, but no where else when I tow. This is due to where the fuel take is located.

- - - Updated - - -

Go by a scale when loaded and get your weights. The fronts are set for 60 PSI and that's all they need for the front end. The rears are set for 80. I don't know if there is a over pressure setting or not. How much weight are you putting on it to need that kind of tires and pressure?????

I'm running Rickson custom wheels and commercial tires. I run the load range G tires for safety reasons. On the crew cab, I am over weight on the rear drivers side tire, but no where else when I tow. This is due to where the fuel take is located.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you using stock Ford Wheels if you are are they rated for 110 PSI

I'm running Rickson custom wheels and commercial tires. I run the load range G tires for safety reasons. On the crew cab, I am over weight on the rear drivers side tire, but no where else when I tow. This is due to where the fuel take is located.

jnbhobe

I would imagine you have went through the training procedure each tire has to be trained I forget the exact sequence like turn the key on and then turn on the flashers 3 or 4 times then start with the left front tire and let air out till the horn beeps I know that it's in the owner's manual

brianlajoie

I would imagine you have went through the training procedure each tire has to be trained I forget the exact sequence like turn the key on and then turn on the flashers 3 or 4 times then start with the left front tire and let air out till the horn beeps I know that it's in the owner's manual

I've done it and so have a few dealers. I don't think it is the absolute pressure because the message is not immediate. I believe it is the relative difference in the pressure between the tires - but at this point it is a guess.

Bones

I could agree that I may be exceeding the sensor limits, but I cannot find anyone who knows anything about this. I'm wondering if Ford makes a sensor with a higher limit.

I run the load range G tire for safety reasons. On the crew cab, I am over weight on the rear drivers side tire, but no where else when I tow. This is due to where the fuel take is located.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Those wheels are nice but I would have liked aluminum. At least with them you don't have to use an adapter

brianlajoie

Those wheels are nice but I would have liked aluminum. At least with them you don't have to use an adapter

I have direct bolt on wheels - no adapters used. Who would you use for 19.5" aluminum wheels for Ford? I looked and asked, but didn't find any.

brianlajoie

Ok - I did a deep dive and found more information: The Ford TPMS system is comprised of 1) tire pressure monitoring sensor (4 or 5 of them) 2) TPMS warning light 3) tire pressure monitor ECU / receiver 4) TPMS antenna.

From what I gather: since I have new tires, wheels and TPMS sensors, I believe I need to load the new sensor ID's (from the TPMS sensors) into the vehicle's computer (ECU).

So I believe the question is, does anybody know how to load the new sensor ID's? I guess I'm assuming that the new sensor ID's will be recognized by the computer with the new higher pressure to monitor. I've kept the old tires/wheels as they are better for 4 wheel drive winter driving conditions. So I will be doing this twice a year and would prefer to do it myself if possible.

rjr6150

Can't attest to this method as I've only read about it on the FTE Forum (Ford Truck Enthusias). It's called Forescan and allow one to change different system variations.

Might try try googling it.

brianlajoie

Can't attest to this method as I've only read about it on the FTE Forum (Ford Truck Enthusias). It's called Forescan and allow one to change different system variations.

Might try try googling it.

It is just a scanner for determining error codes. Good idea, but won't fix my issue.

So here is the fix after talking to the Bartec technical rep: The new sensor IDs will need to be loaded on the ECU. In order for the ECU to make sense of the new 110 PSI sensors, the values of the placard in the ECU will need to be changed so that the comparison between the ECU and the sensors match. Update the placard, load the new sensor IDs, relearn the sensor / tire positions and good to go. Hopefully...

Of coarse Bartec makes a tool for this. It is the Bartec Tech500. The down side is that the tool is expensive. Since I plan to switch between 80 PSI and 110 PSI tires / wheels twice a year, does it make sense to own this tool or find someone who understands this process and can perform it?

rjr6150

Brian
According to the info below you are able to use Forscan. Again I know nothing about the system.

EpicCowlick
user_online.gif

Postmaster
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif

FORScan Spreadsheet

Below is a link to a spreadsheet to record features that can be modified in the Super Duty via the FORScan software. Each row provides information on what can be changed and how to change it. The spreadsheet is read-only and will be updated with new features as they are discovered. This thread can be used to discuss and test new mods.

DISCLAIMER: This information is provided for enthusiasts who are willing to experiment and test on their personal vehicles. There is no guarantee that any of these items will work in any particular truck and may have negative or unintended consequences. If you choose to make any modifications to your truck you do so at your own risk.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Three steps for downloading, installing and activating the FORScan software:

1. Register on the Forum: FORScan forum ? User Control Panel ? Register
2. Download and install FORScan for Windows. Must be run on a Microsoft Windows PC or tablet that has Bluetooth connectivity. This can be run on an Apple computer if run in Bootcamp mode. Copy the Hardware ID (found in FORScan software under the steering wheel with a question mark icon). Download FORScan
3. Generate the Extended License (free) using the previously copied Hardware ID. FORScan forum ? Login

At this point you are registered on the forum and your copy of the FORScan software is activated.

Connecting FORScan to the truck:

The FORScan software connects to the truck's computer modules via a Bluetooth OBDII connector. There are many connectors available and some work properly and others don't. The following is proven to work in all cases. Search "OBDLink MX Bluetooth" on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The final step is to plug in the adapter into the truck's OBDII port and select the OBDII adapter in the FORScan software under Settings (the gear icon) and the Connection tab. Once selected, press the Vehicle Interface and Information icon (the auto with the exclamation point) button and FORScan will begin scanning all available modules. Wait until complete and you're ready to go.

brianlajoie

Thanks for the info. I dived into the forum and found that there is a way to change the sensors between 80 and 50 PSI. I can't figure out how to get to 110 PSI though. Seems that is should work... There was a thread on the forum that said Forscan could not load the new sensor ID's. I looked through the documentation and couldn't find any documentation on adding new sensor codes as a part of the TPM module either. I'll post in their forum to see if any one has an idea. Seems to me the documentation is geared to have the everything hooked up rather than look before you plug in. Maybe I just missed it...