Flooring Material?

I've done some research on wood flooring material, and I wonder why isn't marine grade plywood used in the floor of RV's? It's weight, and price is only slightly higher and you wouldn't have as many issues as I see it?? So why not?? Especially when the consumer is spending $50,000 - $80,000 on a 5th wheel.:confused:

jbeletti

I can't answer your question. I know that Heartland uses a single sheet of Weyerhaeuser structurwood for the floor levels.

To my knowledge, I've never heard of a Heartland owner's floor rotting due to not being marine grade plywood. I've heard of slide floors and roofs rotting, but not main deck floors.

I am no expert but what I'm suggesting is "perhaps marine grade plywood main flooring is not needed".

RoadJunkie

It seems to me that all RV plywood applications are intended to be dry and thus no need for marine-grade plywood. Problems occur when leaks go undetected and cause deterioration of the plywood over time. At that point, in may take a little longer for marine grade plywood to become deteriorated, but it would still need to be addressed. One exception, that I can think of, is circa 2009 when Heartland was leaving the slide floor edges exposed and modifications were required to keep the plywood edges dry.

jbeletti

It seems to me that all RV plywood applications are intended to be dry and thus no need for marine-grade plywood. Problems occur when leaks go undetected and cause deterioration of the plywood over time. At that point, in may take a little longer for marine grade plywood to become deteriorated, but it would still need to be addressed. One exception, that I can think of, is circa 2009 when Heartland was leaving the slide floor edges exposed and modifications were required to keep the plywood edges dry.

I agree with you Len.

Note that the slide room floors are something different that the main and upper deck floors. My understanding is that the slide room floors are 1" thick plywood. I believe Parkland Plastics supplies the floors. I understand that what we use now for slide room floors is much better than what was used many years ago. This, in addition to assembly techniques that have gotten better since then.

I have a2013 Landmark 5th wheel, and the creaking in the bedroom floor by the closet (my side of the bed of course) gets worse and worse. Any way to get the joist layout? Or how to get access from underneath?

Dean-Pam

I also have an area that squeaks. Does anyone know how the flooring is attached to the substructure (screwed, glued, etc.)? Would like to attempt to secure the flooring, but don't want to make the matter worse depending upon how it is attached. Thanks,

mlpeloquin

The squeak maybe nothing to worry about. Does your closet wall show evidence of moving when you step on the floor or when you support the weight on the king pin vs not? No movement then you have an annoyance. If you pull up the carpet and exposing the fasteners holding the subflooring to the subframe, you can see if the fasteners came loose and add one or two more.

That being said there are two frames. The main frame that most of the fifth wheel is attached to and a front subframe screwed to the main frame. In order to inspect it, you may have to remove the side trim of the exterior overhang and then the screws that hold the fiberglass on. If you have a shroud around the king pin, then that has to be removed. This will expose the two frames and what is on top. From what I have read and my experance is that the frames maybe coming loose and the flooring is moving as the two frames move to and from each other with weight as it was in my case and a few others. The problem is referred to as frame flex. You may not have the problem. Just a squeak. It should not take you more than a couple of hours to inspect what is going on if your subfloor is screwed down tight. Use a blanket to rest the fiberglass sheeting on and inspect the frame fasteners and flooring. I had the fasteners heads shear off attaching the two frames together causing the outside trim to pull away from the side when the fifth wheel was supported by the king pin. Others have had the bedroom floor and closet moving when weight was on top of the floor. Exposing it to see what it is going on is quick and relatively easy if you have the room and working space. I do not, but have seen it done and it isn't all that hard. Depending on what is found, the cure may or may not be easy as the inspection.

Others please chime in if they know of a easier way to inspect the subfloor attachment to the front subframe and the subframe to the main frame..