Dually v.s. Single rear wheel for towing stability.

JSchneib

I tow my travel trailer with a single rear wheel Ram. The axles on my trailer are wider than the axles on my truck and we get blown around a bit in the wind. I am considering (for a couple of other reasons as well) switching to a different truck. Would like to hear your everyones thoughts on increased stability from a dually?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
We switched to a dually last summer and have only noticed a difference when it is really windy.

Sent from my PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I tow my travel trailer with a single rear wheel Ram. The axles on my trailer are wider than the axles on my truck and we get blown around a bit in the wind. I am considering (for a couple of other reasons as well) switching to a different truck. Would like to hear your everyones thoughts on increased stability from a dually?

"If it were me"
If I were just towing a bumper pull TT I would stick with a 2500 SRW. The DRW truck is very bulky for tooling around town and everyday driving. I've had 3 new DRW trucks over the last 10 years and have always mist my short bed 2500 SRW truck.

"if it were me"
I would move to a Fithwheel ..... It is a night and day difference in towing !!!! You don't really feel the wind as much and when the Big Rigs pass you you don't get sucked over towards them while the passing. And not to mention the ease of hooking and unhooking. It goes from a 20 minute project to hook up a TT to about a 4 minute hook and go.

Now if you one that really wants a DRW truck then (This coming from a life lone GMC fan) GET THE 2017 FORD F-350 PLATINUM. hands down this is an unbelievable truck !!!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

What trailer are you pulling?

JSchneib

I pull a 30 ft travel trailer. And I am a Dodge/ Ram guy...
No plans to convert to a 5th wheel anytime soon but maybe a bigger 5th wheel trailer sometime down the road (one of the other reasons for channing the truck)

scottyb

Having towed the same 5th wheel with SRW for significant miles, then later with a DRW, there is no comparison in stability. However, I think the only reason to own a DRW is because you really need it. It cost 50% more for tires, has issues with car washes and other drive-throughs, and is generally a PITA as a daily driver. I drove mine as a work truck and put lots of miles on it every day. If it is only a dedicated tow vehicle, or you think you may upgrade to a very heavy 5th wheel, then maybe.

Lynn1130

Scotty,
Pretty much what I said when I got the lecture from one of the "tow police" at the time that I bought a 5th wheel. I have the truck that I can afford, that fits in my garage since I don't want it bleaching outside in the Arizona sun, and I can get it into a standard size parking space at the mall and will tow what I plan on owning.

Give consideration to what your plans are when you purchase. If you think you will need a dually now or some point in the very near future then go with it but there are drawbacks not the least of which is expense.

Oregon_Camper

9Re: Dually v.s. Single rear wheel for towing stability.

If you think you'll move to a 5th wheel down the road, then do yourself a favor and avoid having to buy another truck, once you buy the 5th wheel.

I had a 2008 Ford F-350 (SRW) that I thought could handle the Bighorn. All the specs were in line, so I went with it for about 9 months. On freeway it was fine, until large semi trucks would pass and the trailer forces a "bit" of sway to the truck....nothing dangerous, but I could feel it.

Then around sharp corners I could feel the trailer pushing the rear of the truck....that was NOT comfortable.

We moved to a DRW (flew to Texas from Oregon to get it...GREAT deal!!) and all the pushing and sway has been removed. Honestly, this was the best decision for my safely and the people around me on the road I think I've made.

To me the difference is night and day....

Lynn1130

I have heard from several that the DRW is more stable than the SRW and that might be true with large 5th wheels but in 5 years of pulling my 3010 (35 foot) with two different SRW trucks I have never felt the "sway" when semis go by, or the trailer "pushing" the truck in turns. I am not minimizing anyone's thoughts or feelings with this I just have not seen or felt this and have never felt "unstable" with a SRW and the trailers.

Tool958

I have heard from several that the DRW is more stable than the SRW and that might be true with large 5th wheels but in 5 years of pulling my 3010 (35 foot) with two different SRW trucks I have never felt the "sway" when semis go by, or the trailer "pushing" the truck in turns. I am not minimizing anyone's thoughts or feelings with this I just have not seen or felt this and have never felt "unstable" with a SRW and the trailers.

I have to agree totally with you. We've pulled our 3010 all over the US through major grades and passes as well as smaller secondary roads. Have the turbo brake on the truck that helps a bunch. The only thing I really want to do is convert to disc brakes on the Cyclone. I personally think they should be standard on the 5th wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jim.Allison

There are tribes centered around this issue. The day of the dually is rapidly disappearing because of frame and tire advancements. But folks are also buying bigger and bigger rigs, and toy haulers. My SRW has a payload rating of 4300 lbs, which is more than enough to tow the BC3650RL. The towing capacity is 17,000 lbs. I do not know what else one would want in a tow vehicle.

A dually is not going to keep your rig from turning over, once that fiver starts over, it matters little what you are towing with, If you see my SRW rig pull off the road because of wind, you should consider doing the same with your DRW.

There is no braking advantage between a DRW and SRW because 75% of breaking takes place on the front axle, and a SRW has more rubber in front than a DRW truck, the additional rubber on the rear of the dually is insignificant when actually measured, as is the wider wheel spacing. Measure it, it's not that much.

DRW trucks have notoriously bad traction in dirt, rain, and ice. 4X4 is a desirable option for many who are DRW drivers. DRW truck can get stuck and never sink into the mud, they just can't move.

Then you must pay for the energy to turn all that mass involved with 6 wheels and tires turning, that translates directly to fuel consumption. So you will want to limit the use of the DRW to towing your rig.

Then there are licensing issues (in Texas anyway). Pretty much in this state DRW + 15500 GVW rig = Class A license.

However most duallys offer the lower axle ratios (RAM does not in the SRW), which is a plus for the larger heavier rigs. IF you are needing a dually because of payload and towing capability, then you probably need to consider the axle ratio as well.

I recommend doing the math and buying no more than what you need or anticipate needing. Of course if you were anticipating a 2 year tour of the USA in a fairly good sized fiver (as opposed to 3 to 5K per season), then the DRW consideration may weigh into the selection process.

danemayer

There are tribes centered around this issue. The day of the dually is rapidly disappearing because of frame and tire advancements. But folks are also buying bigger and bigger rigs, and toy haulers. My SRW has a payload rating of 4300 lbs, which is more than enough to tow the BC3650RL. The towing capacity is 17,000 lbs. I do not know what else one would want in a tow vehicle.

LOL!

I guess I'm in the tribe that wants 20,000 or more towing capacity to pull a Cyclone, or 18,000 to pull a Landmark 365.

Jim.Allison

LOL!

I guess I'm in the tribe that wants 20,000 or more towing capacity to pull a Cyclone, or 18,000 to pull a Landmark 365.

There is nothing in the RAM line SRW that would accommodate those requirements. I guess it is best said, "if you need a dually you probably know you need one."

My point is that many DRW drivers do not need the DRW, but old data and myths guide their decisions. As I mentioned, the tow vehicles get better, and stronger, and the rigs get bigger. And in recent years the advancements in tow vehicles have outpaced the rate that the market could absorb the information. If one does not want a DRW tow vehicle, they should grab a brochure from a dealership and determine a configuration that will adequately service their needs. There is a huge chasm between what your neighbor's 5 year old 3500/350 SRW will do and what a new one will do. I do not keep up with what Chevrolet and Ford are doing, but I'm sure they are similarly situated.

Oregon_Camper

I can tell you first hand the move to DRW over SRW was very noticeable, both on the freeways and the mountains here in Oregon. Even my wife said something as a passenger. Was it the difference in moving from SRW to DRW or moving from a 2008 F-350 to 2016 F-350? Who knows the real answer, I just know I'm sold on DRW for our towing needs.

So, we can just agree each of our trucks do exactly what we want them to. :cool:

Mrsfish

I also will give a shout out to the dually. I fought my husband when we bought our 2013 f350. He wanted a dually, I hated the idea. We bought a srw and I LOVED this truck...but I could tell that Rick struggled a couple of times with our weight and the srw.- and btw, he's a VERY experienced large vehicle driver as an aerial lineman. Has had a cdl for over 30 years. About 6 months ago I offered to upgrade our truck. Told him basically take this offer or forever 'shut up'. He really wanted an exhaust brake - thank you Garry - and I could tell that during really windy drives he had to fight hard on the truck and this should never be about fighting. Anyway...we have now had our drw truck for over 3 months and a couple of good pulls. While I don't like the truck - too big for daily driving- Rick LOVES it. Keep in mind there is nothing cosmetic that we exchanged for- just drw. I can feel the stability, I never notice the wind now. So...get what you want, just get more than enough- not JUST enough.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I don't understand this "too big for daily driving." Mine is my preferred daily driver and other than parking spots that are marked for compact cars only, it's no problem taking it anywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jbeletti

I don't understand this "too big for daily driving." Mine is my preferred daily driver and other than parking spots that are marked for compact cars only, it's no problem taking it anywhere.

I too believe driving a dually around town is something I got used to very quickly. Parking it is more challenging but we take it everywhere when on the road and manage very well.

That said, I don't disagree that a smaller vehicle is easier to maneuver and that my wife would prefer something smaller. But for the size rig I pull (18k GVWR), it's a dually for me.