Bike Rack Wobble

BigGuy82

Don't know if this is the correct forum or not but this has to do with a recent bike rack installation I did.

There are many complaints about bike rack wobble, shaking and rattle on this forum. There's also a lot of stuff about bike rack failure while on the road. It's pretty clear that shaking and wobble are increasing the stress on the racks, which in turn leads to failure. When I installed my rack, I feel that the amout of allowed movement in the design would clearly lead to stress issues so i did a little research.

I found this device under "anti-rattle" on Amazon. It's inexpensive ($18), it works with 2" and 1 1/4" receivers, works with solid shanks, it's easy to install and seems to be effective, at least while not moving. I haven't tried it on the road yet but it seems like it is strong and will do the job. I'll update this thread when we hit the road in a couple of weeks.
anti rattle.jpg

I installed it upside down so the bottom of the receiver is bearing the shank weight. Seems to effectively stop both up/down and side/side movement. Made by StowAway.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I use one of those as well as Xing a ratchet strap from one side of the frame through the bike rack to the other side of the frame. Zero movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigGuy82

I use one of those as well as Xing a ratchet strap from one side of the frame through the bike rack to the other side of the frame. Zero movement.

I like that idea. I like it so much, that's exactly what I'm going to do.

jrzygrl64

We've had not one, but 2 bike rack failures. Both were rated to be on the back of an RV. Bill finally decided the amount of bounce in the hitch was a contributing factor in the failures. We had the factory installed hitch removed and some 1 1/4 inch box tubing welded on to strengthen the hitch and remounted it. We also purchased a device similar to the one above. I recently followed Bill in the car for a few miles and no more bounce!

If interested I did a write-up in my blog about it, with pics:

https://bkamericanodyssey.com/2017/01/14/more-fun-in-florida/

BigGuy82

We've had not one, but 2 bike rack failures. Both were rated to be on the back of an RV. Bill finally decided the amount of bounce in the hitch was a contributing factor in the failures. We had the factory installed hitch removed and some 1 1/4 inch box tubing welded on to strengthen the hitch and remounted it. We also purchased a device similar to the one above. I recently followed Bill in the car for a few miles and no more bounce!

If interested I did a write-up in my blog about it, with pics:

https://bkamericanodyssey.com/2017/01/14/more-fun-in-florida/

Wow - quite the project - looks like it will do the job!

Ever thought of getting lighter bikes?:rolleyes:

jrzygrl64

Our bikes are fairly light actually, 32 lbs each - the rack weighs 54 lbs, for a total of 118 lbs - well within what is supposed to be the max weight capacity of the hitch, 150 lbs. Our previous bikes (yes we had a set completely destroyed when the second rack failed) weighed about the same, but the rack was lighter, at 33 lbs, so even more within the max weight.

So - based on the above info - no we have not considered lighter bikes. 😁

BigGuy82

Our bikes are fairly light actually, 32 lbs each - the rack weighs 54 lbs, for a total of 118 lbs - well within what is supposed to be the max weight capacity of the hitch, 150 lbs. Our previous bikes (yes we had a set completely destroyed when the second rack failed) weighed about the same, but the rack was lighter, at 33 lbs, so even more within the max weight.

So - based on the above info - no we have not considered lighter bikes. 😁

I don't think the weight is the issue. It's the vibration/bouncing caused by an unstable hitch - all hitches fit sloppy unless corrected with some sort of stabilization. As you know better than I, the more weight, the more deleterious the effects of vibration/bouncing. Both of ours plus the rack tag in at 86 lbs. The hitch stabilizer I wrote about makes it pretty stable and crossing the hitch with a ratcheting tie down hooked to the frame on both sides as suggested by another writer gives me a very stable set up. We're going to be doing several thousand miles over the next two months, so that will give me the opportunity to try it out. I'll be checking it at every stop when I do my walk around. If it's not bouncing back there, I can't imagine it'll be a problem, but if it doesn't work, I've got your design as a fallback - I like it.

B

Boatman

After experiencing a complete rack failure, I build my own bike rack. Using a double receiver hitch has completely stopped all wobble/bounce. Have pulled thousands of miles and have had zero problems. Experience has shown, do it right the first time and overkill it, will payoff in the long run. Hope this will help.

Attachments

• SDC10767.jpg
    SDC10767.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 52
  • SDC10770.jpg
    SDC10770.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 50

jrzygrl64

BigGuy82: I think you may be misunderstanding me - the bounce was actually happening in the hitch itself BEHIND the receiver - the actual curved bar the receiver is attached to. If you look at the pic in my blog post - the only original hitch was the curved piece and THAT is where the worst of the bounce happens. It also happens at the hitch receiver - which the product you are getting will help with - but that will not stop what I am talking about.

- - - Updated - - -

Boatman: nice rack! I'm curious if you've done anything to reinforce the actual hitch itself? As I stated above - that is where most of the bounce comes from.

travelin2

https://vimeo.com/202762296
71c1bab0620ee37a6763c8cc726d9b83.jpg
3e675ace4996f562d46417f9ea34052d.jpg

Zero movement !!!!
Phone camera isn't too steady but the bike rack is solid!!!

BigGuy82

After starting this thread with what I thought was a good idea, I'm starting to wonder.

Maybe I'll just throw the bikes on the bed and forget about it !!! Or, maybe I'll just forget about the bikes and walk!!! That's the ticket!!! :cool: :rolleyes: :p :confused:

RoadJunkie

I guess I never realized how serious the efforts would be to stop bikes/racks/hitches from rattling during transport! I mean...WOW...people are serious about their bike hauling. The bolstering, the welding, the strapping, the uncertainty, the intricate designs and modifications...it hurts my brain! We were in Sisters, OR., last year and there was this really cute older couple that had just bought new bikes and hauling them on top of their carryall tow vehicle. I felt a bit sorry for them as they were unloading the bikes so I offered to help. Holy cow, those bikes must have weighed 50 lbs. each and I sincerely doubt they rode them more than a few hundred yards. I wasn't around for the reloading, but someone was surely going to earn a hernia.

When I ordered my rig I decided against the factory-installed (Lippert) bike rack; I just heard of too many failures. Honestly, I was second guessing my decision and actually went online to see what was involved in buying and installing one. Now I'm back to my original instinctual decision, for now at least.

Alan_B

Do you happen to have a photo showing the routing of the strap? I am concerned that the strap would rub against the rear cap and wear off the paint and fiberglass.

Thanks

travelin2

Do you happen to have a photo showing the routing of the strap? I am concerned that the strap would rub against the rear cap and wear off the paint and fiberglass.

Thanks

524798c0e829ecc33149b0ff72c2b29f.jpg

No movement, no damage. Second RV with this setup.
If it's a concern to you, add some packing material behind the strap.

BigGuy82

Thanks

Travelin2 posted a picture a few posts down the chain, and yes, it does rub against the rear end cap. I've got the same concern as you.

Really, I'm about to say forget the bikes - not worth the engineering headaches. In fact, if I hadn't sprung for the bike rack and Heartland receiver, that's exactly what I'd do. Simply not worth the hastle.

- - - Updated - - -

524798c0e829ecc33149b0ff72c2b29f.jpg

No movement, no damage. Second RV with this setup.
If it's a concern to you, add some packing material behind the strap.

Thanks for the info - I'll probably stick a microfiber cloth betwen the strap and frame.

Alan_B

I guess I never realized how serious the efforts would be to stop bikes/racks/hitches from rattling during transport! I mean...WOW...people are serious about their bike hauling. The bolstering, the welding, the strapping, the uncertainty, the intricate designs and modifications...it hurts my brain! ...

Unfortunately I can speak from experience. I have dropped bikes on the road twice. This was years ago behind a travel trailer, but the physics still apply.

The first time my bike rack snapped above the hitch, dropping four bikes and the rack onto a Wyoming highway at 65 MPH. After that I purchased a much stronger bike rack. The rack didn't break, but the hitch itself broke. Luckily I was only a mile from home in that case.

So I have been reading these bike rack threads with great interest.

travelin2

This topic has been debated in this forum numerous times. The solutions are not for everyone. Each is a personal decision. FWIW--I've been doing this for 4 years now, thousands of miles per trip, interstates and back roads. Same setup. No issues. I do have a cable lock run through the OEM ladder to secure the bikes and my step ladder for security and safety.
The key is "zero movement".
Also need a sturdy quality hitch and bike rack.

BigGuy82

This topic has been debated in this forum numerous times. The solutions are not for everyone. Each is a personal decision. FWIW--I've been doing this for 4 years now, thousands of miles per trip, interstates and back roads. Same setup. No issues. I do have a cable lock run through the OEM ladder to secure the bikes and my step ladder for security and safety.
The key is "zero movement".
Also need a sturdy quality hitch and bike rack.

The cable through the ladder was my "other" solution - not to prevent theft but to catch the bikes if they did come off. Rather damage an end cap & ladder than have the bikes go sailing through a windshield.