Few inverter install questions

bobca1

Hi I'm considering installing inverter in my Cyclone so I can power some electronic devices without needing to run generator. Don't need to run microwave, just want to power tvs and satellite receivers, cell phone chargers. I would like this to be integrated into 120v main supply. I have 2 12v deep cycle batteries now (not sure of rating, but are average size 12v lead acid batts) and solar to charge them. Some Questions :
1. Will 2 avg size batteries get me through nite?
2. The magnum inverters talked about on here are pretty pricey, what about a cheap Amazon alternative like this, can it be wired from the plug into main supply?
MicroSolar 12V 1000W (Peak 2000W) Pure Sine Wave Inverter - with Battery Cable & Remote Wire Controller https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F4TP3AE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_dKaMybYP1Z9SQ
3. I assume I need additional transfer switch, is there a multi source switch that can switch between mains, generator, and inverter?
4. Approach to disconnect 120 to 12v converter when running on inverter?

Probably all asked and answered in older posts, but thought folks would like to share latest install stories and advice :) It there are other threads you know of to help I'll be happy to check them out.

jbeletti

Hi bobca,

Sorry, I don't have any answers for you. Wondering if this thread will get more attention if it were in the Solar section?? Let's see what happens here and if little play, we can move it for you.

szewczyk_john

Read everything on this site. Read all the articles and you will get one **** of an education and you will come away with a different point of view. I would not use 12 volt batteries. They are not made to be used in this way. You will see that more expensive units are wholly worth the price.

carl.swoyer

If you stay with the Magnum you won't have any regrets. It has a built-in transfer switch. The charger in the Magnum is as well worth the money. I use the magnum MS 2812 , Onan 5500 LP with two 30 amp breakers, a 220 watt solar panel with the morning star duo charge controller and 4 group 31 deka agm batteries. When I'm dry camping I only run the genset in the am for 30 minutes to slap a bulk charge on my batteries the solar panel for the rest. The morning star duo will change AGM and wet cell batteries simultaneously at the correct charge rate for each type of battery

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

DougS

Doug S
Hi Bobca1, this is my second RV with a 2000 watt pure wave inverter installed to power the whole rig. With that said there are several things that can not be run like: the converter, AC, electric part of fireplace, refrig and water heater. I can use one appliance at a time like the TV and satellite, micro, coffee pot. I would not use high energy items like a hair dryer. My last RV I had switches to shut off some high energy appliances but this RV I just shut off pre marked circuit breakers. I power the RV through a 30 amp automatic transfer switch where the inverter is the default (primary) and generator is the switched line. This 30 amp TS feeds into the 50 amp transfer switch. The inverter is turned on with a remote switch by the circuit breaker box.
In the past, I have had the TV on for 6 hours as a test. The length of time depends on battery size and age. I also installed a 12 volt meter so I can shut down the inverter when battery voltage drops below 12 volts.
When it came time to switch RV's I transferred most of the major inverter components that I installed.

bobca1

Hi bobca,

Sorry, I don't have any answers for you. Wondering if this thread will get more attention if it were in the Solar section?? Let's see what happens here and if little play, we can move it for you.
Thanks for offer, it's fine here the answers from others are helpful, so busy yesterday didn't have time to check and reply.

bobca1

Read everything on this site. Read all the articles and you will get one **** of an education and you will come away with a different point of view. I would not use 12 volt batteries. They are not made to be used in this way. You will see that more expensive units are wholly worth the price.
Thanks I'll check it out. Was hoping to just use existing batteries. But I am discovering this is not an inexpensive upgrade... To do it right.

bobca1

If you stay with the Magnum you won't have any regrets. It has a built-in transfer switch. The charger in the Magnum is as well worth the money. I use the magnum MS 2812 , Onan 5500 LP with two 30 amp breakers, a 220 watt solar panel with the morning star duo charge controller and 4 group 31 deka agm batteries. When I'm dry camping I only run the genset in the am for 30 minutes to slap a bulk charge on my batteries the solar panel for the rest. The morning star duo will change AGM and wet cell batteries simultaneously at the correct charge rate for each type of battery

Wow I see now why Magnum is inverter of choice, after reading specs for it, and learning it has transfer switch and charger built in. I am going to wait then until I can afford this option. Until then will just buy a cheap portable inverter and run extension cord to the TV :)

bobca1

Hi Bobca1, this is my second RV with a 2000 watt pure wave inverter installed to power the whole rig. With that said there are several things that can not be run like: the converter, AC, electric part of fireplace, refrig and water heater. I can use one appliance at a time like the TV and satellite, micro, coffee pot. I would not use high energy items like a hair dryer. My last RV I had switches to shut off some high energy appliances but this RV I just shut off pre marked circuit breakers. I power the RV through a 30 amp automatic transfer switch where the inverter is the default (primary) and generator is the switched line. This 30 amp TS feeds into the 50 amp transfer switch. The inverter is turned on with a remote switch by the circuit breaker box.
In the past, I have had the TV on for 6 hours as a test. The length of time depends on battery size and age. I also installed a 12 volt meter so I can shut down the inverter when battery voltage drops below 12 volts.
When it came time to switch RV's I transferred most of the major inverter components that I installed.
Thanks. If I could get 4-6 hours TV time off inverter with my existing 2 batteries I would be happy. I have satellite receiver too that probably pulls about as much as the led TV.

carl.swoyer

If you use group 31 deka batteries they can be run down alot further than other types of batteries and the return to full charge alot faster.

carl.swoyer

I got my Ms 2818 out of the dumpster at a large RV repair facility. For 175.00 dollars I fixed it. Works like a champ. I only have two circuits. Be careful that your on board charger it not in line with the Magnum. With the Magnum remote you have a ton of control . You should read on the remote and all the programing. When I dry camp I set the Magnum to 30 amp shore power. This allows me to run the genset and simultaneously charge the house batteries with the 105 amp on board charger and my 4 group 31 deka agm batteries being charged from the Magnum. If I leave the Magnum set to 50 amp shore power I will over speed the Onan 5500 LP genset. Found this out the hard way.

porthole

Retired
Wow I see now why Magnum is inverter of choice, after reading specs for it, and learning it has transfer switch and charger built in. I am going to wait then until I can afford this option. Until then will just buy a cheap portable inverter and run extension cord to the TV :)

Magnum is not the only inverter with an auto transfer switch.

Magnum is probably the best you can get though in features and reliability. I have yet to meet anyone who said they are sorry they spent the money on a Magnum system.

Note that if you are wiling to spend the coins on a Magnum, and for doing what you are planning, look at the higher end models. The top models will also supplement your shore power AC and gen supplied power.

For example, if you are on gen power or only 30 amp shore power, and start a load that exceeds the available power, the correct model Magnums will pull from the battery bank and supply additional current to your 'grid'.

Whichever inverter you buy, for doing what you are planning get one with an auto transfer switch. All of our TV's, SAT equipment, ice-maker etc are powered through the inverter.
This way there are no surge or spikes, no memory loss between disconnects and hookups etc and they are always powered when I want them to be.

You could always build your system with a lower end inverter, go better quality with everything else and then change up the converter when ready. Like in the old days with music lovers. Spend top end with turntable and cartridge, build from there.

- - - Updated - - -

I got my Ms 2818 out of the dumpster at a large RV repair facility. For 175.00 dollars I fixed it.

Wow, double score, first on the free inverter then on the repair.
xantrex Heart products have a minimum of about $400 for repairs.

When I dry camp I set the Magnum to 30 amp shore power. This allows me to run the genset and simultaneously charge the house batteries with the 105 amp on board charger and my 4 group 31 deka agm batteries being charged from the Magnum. If I leave the Magnum set to 50 amp shore power I will over speed the Onan 5500 LP genset. Found this out the hard way.

I have a general idea what you are talking about, but am still confused a bit.

Where do you have a 105 amp charger?
How can you overspeed the generator?

carl.swoyer

If the Magnum is set to 50 amp shore power it will then change at full output. That being said the factory installed charger will also charge . Together they will over task the Onan genset. The Magnum can dump a bulk charge on my DEKA AGMs. So by setting shore to 30 amp I limit the Magnums output and can effectively charge both banks of batteries.

carl.swoyer

The generator speeds up with increased demand and at a certain rpm shuts itself off. Had this happen twice. After thinking it through I set the Magnum to 30 amp shore power and haven't had a problem since.

porthole

Retired
The genset runs at a constant 3600 RPM, no load to full load.
It shouldn't be running at any other speed.
If overloaded, the breaker should kick out.

Unless you you have one of Onan's newest inverter-diesel genset