TST TPMS with newer trucks

szewczyk_john

For the last 5 years we have been using the TST unit to monitor the truck and trailer tires. Now with a new truck that has the TPMS built in, is there any reason to use the TST system? The only positive I can think of is that the TST system also monitors temperature as well as pressure.

Second question is how does TST work with a dually truck?

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
I have the TST 507 with my Ford F-350 DRW and my 40 foot Landmark with a sensor in all 6 truck tires and all 4 trailer tires, plus one in each of my spares, it works flawlessly with the TST Signal booster. I think the combo of temperature and pressure is a must to monitor. IMHO anyway.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I haven't put the six sensors on the truck yet. I did hardwire the TST monitor system so it comes on every time I start up the truck. I have the four sensors on the trailer. As soon as I get to the dealer to have them adjust the factory TPMS settings (I do not want a light coming on or chimes going off )and I can lower my rear tire pressure, I will put my TST sensors back on the truck. I want to have all 10 tire sensors on the same screen.

danemayer

I had TST sensors on the Landmark and on the 2011 GMC. But the 2014 RAM came with sensors tied to the driver info screen. When tires are rotated, they automatically adjust. So now I use the TST for the trailer and the built in sensors for the truck.

avvidclif

I don't know about the Rams setup but the Ford trailer setup is an internal sensor (have to break down the trailer tire to install), shows only pressure, and supposedly will not work with steel belted radials. When I saw that I decided I didn't need a half-^%$#^& system and added another negative to a new truck.

Alan_B

...Now with a new truck that has the TPMS built in, is there any reason to use the TST system? ...

My new truck has the capability of monitoring RV tire pressures, but I still plan on installing a TST 507 system. Ease of installation is one factor. The biggest factor, however, is the Ford system doesn't allow you to enter upper and lower limits, therefore no alert with a problem. You get monitoring, but not alarms.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
For the last 5 years we have been using the TST unit to monitor the truck and trailer tires. Now with a new truck that has the TPMS built in, is there any reason to use the TST system? The only positive I can think of is that the TST system also monitors temperature as well as pressure.

Second question is how does TST work with a dually truck?

[Are you saying your 2017 Ram TPMS system will monitor your RV with the correct stem monitors? I have a 2016 Ram 3500 SW and my dealer said the Ram system will not monitor the RV and I thought he said it was limited to a number of wheels...can't remember if it was a total of 6....It would be an added plus to have the Ram monitor along with the TST System. As for the alarms on the TST, I can't hear it go off if the radio is singing to my deaf ear!!!! I do like having the Temp reading however!!! Just another thought, with the TST system you need the metal valve stems and with the Ram system you can only get the rubber stems with the monitors. So having both could down the road cause problems. ??Not Sure????]