State Residency Question?

gpcvg

Does anyone use a purchased RV lot as the address for your state of residence? I am a Florida resident now so will the RV lot qualify me to keep my Florida residency? How do full timers work that out?

Last edited by a moderator:

VKTalley

Does anyone use a purchased RV lot as the address for your state of residence? I am a Florida resident now so will the RV lot qualify me to keep my Florida residency? How do full timers work that out?

Curious, where did you purchase your lot?

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired

My understanding of Florida is that it is a RV friendly state and you do not need physical address for residency. What I mean by this is that you do not need to rent or own property, there are companies that can and will help you with this do a search on the internet and they pop up.

Hogladyrider

We are fulltimers, Florida residents and YES we own an RV lot in Silver Springs, FL at Wilderness RV Resort and it serves as our primary residence. We have homestead on the property as well.

We purchased the lot when we sold our home, after we had been coming to the same campground for many years. We are in a section that is 55+ and only 140 lots and we are very happy here. We have more friends and fun and activities than we ever did in our homes. The HOA dues are very reasonable as is our electric. It provides us a place to spend the winter months and not have to worry about finding a spot each winter.

We leave Florida for the summer and travel, last summer was workamping in Massachusetts and traveling thru New England. This summer we are headed to South Dakota to workamp and ride our Goldwing out west, something we have been wanting to do since we first visited South Dakota in 1999. Now that we are both retired we are making it happen while we still have our health. Next fall we will be back on our lot here in Florida.....we also have the availability to rent out our lot for a winter season should we opt to stay out west one winter.

Biggest suggestion is live within your budget!

Hope this helps.

Susan & Gary

IMG_20161029_111620865.jpg

gpcvg

Thanks to everyone that has replied so far. We haven't sold the home yet or bought the RV lot yet. We are still doing the research but hoped there might be a way to stay a Florida resident. I think that in 7-10 years will have one base house in Florida once the grand kids get older. Right now we want to stay Florida residents for tax benefits and we just enjoy Florida. But going to the grand kids games and dance recitals is hard to give up. One of them has something almost every weekend. I love all my kids but Grandma and Grandpa is much more fun. The time will allow us to explore all of the state in our fifth wheel before settling down.

aatauses

we are full timers and declare Fl as resident---Our mail service is located in FL and use that as an address. They are America Home Base--located in Pensacola.
al

southernlady5464

We just moved our domicile to FL just this month. Spent most of the last two weeks changing addresses at banks, etc. Our house in NC sold this past week. We went with St. Brendan's Isle We thought about Escapee's but decided to use SBI instead.

MTPockets

We were a FL resident and sold the house and full time travelled four years. We continued being FL residents by just a change of address using the mail forwarding service RVMail.com in Crestview, FL. We changed everything over to that address; bank acts, driver license, insurance, investments, etc., everything. We've had zero issues and the service has been flawless. We can go on line anytime and see all mail being held, then select by piece where to forward, how, or shred, or scan. We've been very pleased.

wdk450

Getting a loan or new credit MAY be dicey without a physical address. I use a UPS store mailbox, and although the DMV accepted that, the loan guys wanted a utility bill to prove physical residency. Your results may vary.

MCTalley

Getting a loan or new credit MAY be dicey without a physical address. I use a UPS store mailbox, and although the DMV accepted that, the loan guys wanted a utility bill to prove physical residency. Your results may vary.

Few banks offer RV loans, in particular, to full-timers without a physical address due to additional requirements and paperwork mandated by HUD, if I remember correctly. When we financed our first rig as a full-timer, the RV dealer sent us through Alliant Credit Union. They are full-timer friendly. They primarily just required a year's insurance put in escrow during the course of the loan. The escrowed amount goes into an interest-bearing savings account with them. When the loan is paid off, you get the money back.

Also, be aware that using a mailbox for an address can also sometimes raise an eyebrow at various financial institutions because of the Patriot Act. I've heard of a few full-timers having their accounts frozen due to a random audit by the financial institution showing that your "residential" address shows up as a "business" address. In pretty much every case, it requires finding the right person at the financial institution and notifying them of your full-time status and why your address isn't technically a residence. They'll typically release your holds and mark your account(s) accordingly, but it can be a hassle.

Something to keep in mind if you plan on hitting the road with just a single bank account. We carry credit cards from multiple banks in addition to our checking/savings at another institution partially for that reason, though we've never had any issues. We do own an RV lot now and use it as our residence, so it should no longer be an issue for us.

wdk450

Social Security needs a physical address also, they will not send to a PO Box.

My SS check is direct deposited to my bank. I get my SS statements at my mailbox, along with my Medicare Statements.

BTW, I e-mail . FAX or phone my UPS store to ship all accumulated mailbox mail to wherever I am about monthly. Credit cards bills can be checked with the phone # on the card, or through the bank's website.

Using the UPS store lets me use a Sacramento address which is within Kaiser North Healthcare's allowed service area.

HMMMM, The NOSPACEBETWEENWORDSHEARTLANDFORUMBUG just hit me, then it (for the 1st time) just went away!!!

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
My SS check is direct deposited to my bank. I get my SS statements at my mailbox, along with my Medicare Statements.

!!!

X2 on monthly SS deposits, our statements are electronic, insurance claims etc too are paperless and online.
We're anytimers that travel for months at a time. Although we stop our mail and our son stops at the post office from time to time 99% of our important mail is paperless and viewed on line.
There are no exceptions but very few. Usually it's something that pops up out of the blue.
So I think based on my discussions with others you should be good in Florida however you decide to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crussian

We just moved our domicile to FL just this month. Spent most of the last two weeks changing addresses at banks, etc. Our house in NC sold this past week. We went with St. Brendan's Isle We thought about Escapee's but decided to use SBI instead.

Hi, trying to figure out SBI. I googled and found SBI alone gives me the State Bank of India and if I include RV Club it tries to correct me with "Did you mean: SAM RV club ."

Acronyms are not my forte.

C&J

MTPockets

We've had no problem getting loans or anything. Just purchased a new car with some financing. Nothing changed. You just need an address and good credit. Our address is the address at RVMail.com with our personal box number. Over three years and zero issues with banks, investments, loans, insurance, etc...

We are Moving , going full time, next weekend in the Silver Springs area.
We use our RV park address as our home address. Park address with the lot number.
Guess we are lucky to stay at an RV resort where they accept mail for each resident.
We visited the RV park and asked a lot of questions to the manager and other residents a few weeks ago .
We specifically asked if the address can be used for driver license, banks etc.

So no need for any mailing service.