LED lights and TV interference.

Garypowell

OK, so I am not the brightest bulb in the pack. Planned a trip over to Tampa to see customers this week, arrived Sunday at 2PM. Figured we'd be there in plenty of time to set up, have dinner out and then settle in to watch the GAME.

Wrong!

No matter what I did I searched and searched and could not find Fox. Several helpful neighbors told me it was 13-1 and they had a strong signal. The lowest channel I found was 16.

Finally tried one last time and it worked......GREAT! But why?

turns out that last time I had turned off the bedroom lights. After I found it....and turns the lights on the screen froze.

I sometimes get a little interference from the LED lights but just turn them off.....never has it blocked a channel. So have never done the Capaciter fix.

Not sure what shifted to cause the increased LED interface...but it is time to actually fix this problem.

So:

1. What is the rating again for the capacitor I need to install?

2. Do I have to install one on each light (have 4) or can I just put it across the switch?

thanks,

mlpeloquin

OK, so I am not the brightest bulb in the pack. Planned a trip over to Tampa to see customers this week, arrived Sunday at 2PM. Figured we'd be there in plenty of time to set up, have dinner out and then settle in to watch the GAME.

Wrong!

No matter what I did I searched and searched and could not find Fox. Several helpful neighbors told me it was 13-1 and they had a strong signal. The lowest channel I found was 16.

Finally tried one last time and it worked......GREAT! But why?

turns out that last time I had turned off the bedroom lights. After I found it....and turns the lights on the screen froze.

I sometimes get a little interference from the LED lights but just turn them off.....never has it blocked a channel. So have never done the Capaciter fix.

Not sure what shifted to cause the increased LED interface...but it is time to actually fix this problem.

So:

1. What is the rating again for the capacitor I need to install?

2. Do I have to install one on each light (have 4) or can I just put it across the switch?

thanks,

We had the same problem. I changed out a coax cable and I do not remember which one. It had a bad crimp and thus a bad shield ground. Turn the lights on and it lost the signal and turned them off and it got the signal. That being said, a filter capacitor has to be across the +12VDC and ground. If you were to put it across the switch with it off, it would be in series with the power and with the switch on it would be shorted out. You will have to get a response from someone who opted to install the capacitor(s).

danemayer

The problem is that LED lights often cause Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) affecting radio and TV signals. A poor coax connection can worsen the problem.

We had a presentation on this at the 2016 Las Vegas Rally. 2nd generation LEDs for RVs use high-speed switching components to maintain steady light output even when the DC voltage varies, as it does in RVs. The switching components cause EMI.

Gregg Wilson, the presenter, sells LEDs that he says will solve the problem through EMI suppression. Here's a link to his website.