TPMS 2016 Ram Dually - No Warning of Low Tire Pressure

farside291

I had a outside rear tire go flat while towing this past Sunday. The TPMS never gave me a warning of a low tire. Is this normal? After I removed and replaced the tire with the spare and drove another 25 miles it gave me a warning to service the tire pressure system, kind of late though. I checked the tire pressures and of course the spare showed 0 psi. Thoughts??

Thanks,
Bill

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have had to replace our sensors twice on our 2014 Ram. The dealership replaced them at no charge (under warranty). At one time they were on recall which was how our first set got replaced.

farside291

They were all showing pressure before the one went flat. Even now with the tire sitting in the bed of the truck its showing 0 psi. I am wondering why it only gave me a warning after I changed the tire with spare and drove 25 miles.

Bohemian

The 2500, and 3500 truck do not come with TPMS. They have TPIS.

No MONITOR or warning.
Only an information display ov pressures.

crussian

The 2500, and 3500 truck do not come with TPMS. They have TPIS.

No MONITOR or warning.
Only an information display ov pressures.

Agree Bohemian. My 2015 doesn't warn me at all. I have had one tire/wheel consistently provide wrong air poundage. I haven't taken to dealer yet but I still have some miles before the 36K limit.

C

GWRam

Agree Bohemian. My 2015 doesn't warn me at all. I have had one tire/wheel consistently provide wrong air poundage. I haven't taken to dealer yet but I still have some miles before the 36K limit.

C

That is interesting. My 3500 gave me a low tire symbol on the dash and a chime and the email symbol prompting a look at the tire pressure display, when the tire shop deflated my front tires 15lbs. They got the front tire and rear tire pressures reversed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

crussian

That is interesting. My 3500 gave me a low tire symbol on the dash and a chime and the email symbol prompting a look at the tire pressure display, when the tire shop deflated my front tires 15lbs. They got the front tire and rear tire pressures reversed.

Could it be that my tire hasnt gotten low enough? I havent seen it before 45lbs (supposed to be 65) so maybe there is a low threshold before it sounds off.

C

GWRam

I don't know how to add a website link while using my phone, if you look on YouTube under Ram 3500 tire pressure, there is a Mopar video showing how it should work.
You should get a warning.

GWRam

I don't know how to add a website link while using my phone, if you look on YouTube under Ram 3500 tire pressure, there is a Mopar video showing how it should work.
You should get a warning.

I don't know what pressure change should trigger the warning. My warning was set off by a drop in pressure from 80 down to 65.

Just did some checking on the RAM forums. Supposedly a decrease of 20% below the pressures on the door sticker will set off the warning.

farside291

The truck did give me a warning, it just waited until 25 miles after I had changed the tire. The dealership Service guy said the system has a 5 lb difference before the warning happens. So he is saying the truck does have warning system. I did not get an email though.

Bohemian

Just checked the new specs. They still Only offer the TPIS.

I expect the two systems are identical with only a small software difference where the monitor is disabled in the 2500 and 3500. A software bug could incorrectly allow a monitor event through. The real point is thst with the TPIS you should never expect a monitor event. You need to check the dispkay yourself.

farside291

Then I got a bug. Now is that a good thing or not. I'm thinking getting a warning of any kind is better late than never.

szewczyk_john

I just looked in the 2017 user guide(owners manual) and it does state that the system is a monitoring system complete with warnings for under inflation. The manual states that the light will illuminate when one of your tires is significantly under inflated. The next paragraph is bold faced type and all capitalized. It says that if the light flashes you should inflate the indicated tire to the pressure according to the label in the door jam.

It makes it sound like a dual system with a warning light that then also flashes? Not sure about that. It also states that the predetermined pressure is set per the original equipment and doesn't give any indication that the system can be changed or flashed?

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
It also states that the predetermined pressure is set per the original equipment and doesn't give any indication that the system can be changed or flashed?

This is what I found on the Cummins Forum about the TPMS settings......

How to set TPMS to ANY pressure

Ok guys.... I've done this on several trucks now and have confirmed it will work on any 2014+ and on any model (I have not tried it on C&C yet). You will have to have this done at a dealer. Print this and take it in and they should be able to change your settings and turn off the light. It takes about 10 minutes.

Step 1: Go into the BCM (body control module). Go to "miscellaneous functions". Go to "update pressure thresholds". Set pressure to desired settings. Do not try to do different pressures front and back! Even if you run 10 psi difference front to back you won't get a light. If you plan to run 10 psi difference I suggest your "setting" be in the middle of the high and low just to give you a little cushion.

Step 2: Go into the RFH (radio frequency hub). Go to "miscellaneous functions". Perform "RFH replace" and follow prompts. You will need the PIN number for the truck. That can be obtained through Dealer Connect with the vin number to the truck. When following the prompts - when asked for desired pressure setting - set new pressure levels. You do not need to replace anything - just perform the function to set new levels.

I have not had to drive the truck - once the RFH replace function is done the light goes out and the truck is reading new pressures.

Done!!

szewczyk_john

Someone also brought up metal valve stems being needed for the TST system. My front tires and the outer rear have metal valve stems. The inner rear have a rubber stem. I was planning on buying a set of extenders that have a clip that will hold the extension in the hole of the out rim. These extenders are sold as rubber, stainless. If I add a stainless extender with the clip holding it in place the TST sensor should be held in place by the clip. I have never used the TST system with rubber stems so I am not sure if this is an issue. Does anyone have any experience that they can share?

Also Wheelmasters has a stainless extender kit that has a second valve in it. They call it airless extensions. This set means that if there is any issue with the extension, your tire will not loss air pressure. It only has air in the extension if you are airing up the tire or checking the pressure. Is anyone else using any of these extension kits? please share your thoughts. I am looking at the ones that clip in the hand hole.

Even ones on eBay have a clip that should hold the sensor in place. TST sells a rubber stem support piece which is made by Wheelmasters but it is made only for 16 inch wheels. Finally does anyone know if I can get the inner rear tires changed to metal stems before I add the extenders?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
John, I had my rubber valve stems changed out to metal on the inner wheels.
I had them install a 1" stem and I use a flow through sensor on the inner wheels only.
It works out great for checking or adding air as it is easily accessible.
I use a short piece of rubber fuel line to slip on the valve stem cover for removal and install of the cap.

One more thing worth mentioning is that there are two styles of dual head air chucks.
One with an angled head and one with a straight head.
You will need the straight head.
s-l225.jpg
s-l225.jpg

On a previous truck I was warned to not use the rubber stems. I thought I could wait.
Well I waited till the stem failed and left me sitting on the side of the road with a flat tire.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I had all of my stems changed to steel so that they would not flex all over when using a tire gage. For the inner duallies, I align the spokes on the outer wheel so the stem is accessible. Actually, it aligns both stems to the same position.

From earlier posts, this might not be possible on all wheel cover styles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SNOKING

The 2500 RAMs have a TPMS that alarms. The 3500 RAMs have a screen in the EVIC that displays tire pressure and has NO alarm function. This a learning system that learns wheel position after routing tires. Takes a few miles to locate the tires. The spare is not monitored and most likely lead to the message about servicing the system.

RAM recently has taken a hard line on not changing thrushholds from factory pressures for 2500's and no longer has light and heavy load options that are user selectable. Chris

danemayer

The 2500 RAMs have a TPMS that alarms. The 3500 RAMs have a screen in the EVIC that displays tire pressure and has NO alarm function.

Chris,

How sure are you? The manual for 2014 RAM 1500/2500/3500 speaks to the TPMS which lights up a low pressure indicator light and also notes that 3500s may have a TPIS system that displays pressure readings on the EVIC. The section on TPMS doesn't exlude the 3500 and the 3500 section the TPIS doesn't say that the TPMS light is disabled.

Is it possible that the standard function is the "dumb" light that indicates low pressure, and that the enhance function is to provide pressure readings?

SNOKING

Chris,

How sure are you? The manual for 2014 RAM 1500/2500/3500 speaks to the TPMS which lights up a low pressure indicator light and also notes that 3500s may have a TPIS system that displays pressure readings on the EVIC. The section on TPMS doesn't exlude the 3500 and the 3500 section the TPIS doesn't say that the TPMS light is disabled.

Is it possible that the standard function is the "dumb" light that indicates low pressure, and that the enhance function is to provide pressure readings?

Very. Common knowledge to all on the TDR site. I can deflate my rear tire to 45 pounds and no warning occurs. Do that with a 2500 and a light comes on in dash and a message is displayed. Chris