Added Storage Space to Basement

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Shortly after I purchased our 2015 Landmark Key Largo I discovered a large empty space behind the basement wall. So now two years later I finally had the time to make the basement larger and add at least 12 cubic foot of storage space.

I removed the two original large panels then measured and designed where to place the new walls to increase basement space as much as possible. I began building the new walls with framing of 1X2’s and 2X2’s and joined the framing with pocket screws. I screwed the new framing together and to the floor and ceiling. I reused the existing panels and carpet as much as possible and then used new plywood and carpet. I attached most of the wall panels with screws, three panels where attached with cabinet roller catches for easy maintenance access.

I moved the 110 electric receptacle, the cable connection and the 12 volt power port closer to the basement door. I also added two lights on the remodeled basement wall. It took me about 40 hours to complete this project.

Basement Remodel 01.jpgBasement Remodel 02.jpgBasement Remodel 03.jpgBasement Remodel 04.jpgBasement Remodel 05.jpgBasement Remodel 06.jpgBasement Remodel 07.jpg

szewczyk_john

This is something that I would copy if my unit had the space. I had all my basement walls off this time last year while doing the inverter/charger install and I am sure that there was no extra room behind the walls like you had. Very nice looking job & one I am sure you will get a lot of use of.

jbeletti

Looking good Terry. I look forward to seeing it.

On my Landmark Ashland, I removed both panels in order to install my RO/filtration system and I never got the walls reinstalled! On my layout, like yours, on the DS, there's a huge space on the main deck that I now use to store items in plastic containers.

Thanks for sharing your build pictures! Looks like I need to learn how to use pocket screws :)

dlw930

Terry, good to see pics of the finished project. Look forward to seeing it in person soon.

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justafordguy

Nice job, that turned out great. I did a similar mod on mine last year and also gained a bunch of extra storage space.

SLO

I realllllly like the fishing rod storage. That was very smart.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Looks great! Hope to see it in person -- Santo?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'Lil Guy'

If you'll give a list of materials, I'll have everything ready for you when we meet up soon. How did you start? Just pull the panels and look at the messy wasted space behind the walls and then design on the fly as how to utilize it? Looks great.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
If you'll give a list of materials, I'll have everything ready for you when we meet up soon. How did you start? Just pull the panels and look at the messy wasted space behind the walls and then design on the fly as how to utilize it? Looks great.

I removed the panels and moved and secured the wires to give me the largest space. I had a basic plan and changed it on the fly to work around the water and sewer pipes. Well, I only do one basement about every five years. Sorry, I am tapped out for another five years.