B&W Hitch

holstin

I am scheduled to get my F450 in a few days. The local Ford dealer has a contract with a local dealer in town that will install a 5th wheel hitch in there trucks before they deliver it to me. My only concern is that they only offer the B&W Companion Hitch. It has the rails below the bed instead of above the bed so when you dont need it you can have your entire bed for use. It is rated at 18K and since we are purchasing a Landmark Augusta it is in specs.

Does anyone have any kind of experiece whether good or bad with this hitch. I was originally looking at a Reese 20K but that would require me to go somewhere else to get and have it installed. I would really hate to get the B&W if its not a proven product and will go through the hassle of getting the Reese if need be.

Thanks

sidney dreyfus

We have been using the B&W hitch for close to a year without any problems. The company has been very nice and responsive. We have experienced chucking on occasion when on concrete roadways with expansion joints but from what I read on the forum this is quite common no matter what hitch you use.

Sid Dreyfus

flamingknitter

I have one of those!! B&W 3000 Companion Hitch.

When I bought my TV, the dealership suggested this hitch, stating that it was the best out there. It has the capability of switching to a gooseneck if that option is ever desired. The word of mouth research I have done was all favorable. It breaks down into two pieces which makes it a realistic possibility for me to remove and be able to use the whole bed. Also, it is very compact in the bed. No rails getting in the way.

My only complaint is that I need a step ladder to swing the bar and secure it. I am 5'10" and I think that makes me a foot too short!! between the bed height and the short bar. Both brothers in law that I RV with really like it.

Marybeth

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hay Marybeth
I am 6'-2" and need a 12" step to swing the jaw bar.
I have used a B&W since 2006. I like the hitch for the above mentioned reason. I have had one problem with the hitch. When I went to remove the hitch I would loosen the nuts on the two U-Bolts and found one of them Gauled. (threads had streached and the nut would not turn off.) They replaced the U-Bolts both times an told me they never had that problem. One thing to know is the U-Bolts can not be found anywhere except through B&W. They are specially made for B&W. I carry a spare set of bolts now and have some grade 8 bolts and 1/4" bar as emergency equipment.

Still I like the B&W.. The companion is rated at 18k http://www.turnoverball.com/rv.asp
and the Gooseneck is rated at 30k http://www.turnoverball.com/turnover.asp

flamingknitter

Good to know about the bolts. It isn't likely that I will take out the hitch but it sounds like parts may be proprietary which could be an issue at some point. I learn something new here every day.

Marybeth

5erWonk

I have had the B&W for 18mos and think it is great. Very well contructed and easy to maintain. I'm only 5'10" and have no problem reaching the swing bar in the bed of my Dodge PU.

Interesting to note I also had one of the U-bolts gaul on me. B&W overnighted a replacement with no problems.

I feel much more comfortable with the construction of the B&W than with my previous Reese.

Good luck

WRIGHT ll

retired Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
We've had the B&W hitch for four years and really like it. It isn't too heavy for me to manhandle the two components it breaks down into. We did have the same problem with the u-bolts threads gauling and we stopped in at the plant and they gave me a set of the bolts.
Probably the thing I like most about the hitch is that I can look at the jaws after hitching and can see that they are latched and closed!!!
I have to get up into the TV bed and close the latch bar and put the safety pin in. I simply use a two step ladder to climb up there.
All in all it is a great hitch and a good company to do business.

fmurray3

A year ago I bought a Curt 20K for my F-350 and a friend of mine bought the B&W 18K neither of us have had any problem with the hitches. My only complaint is that I have rust on the Curt and he doesn't have any on the B&W and we both keep them covered when not in use.

Dirt1st

I too have the B&W turnover ball and 5th wheel companion hitch, and have used it for over a year to tow my 3210 Cyclone. I agree with all of the above comments. It is convenient, easy to remove, giving you a completely flat floor in the truck bed. I haven't had any problems with the threads on the u bolts yet, and after seeing that there have been a few problems, will pay a lot more attention when I remove and install the hitch.

holstin

Thanks

I guess this is how I am going to go then. Especially since Ford will have it installed before I even receive the truck.

Thanks everyone for your input.

chester

B&W companion hitch

I have been using the B&W hitch for 3 years now and love it. It is a super quality product and best of all USA made. My question is why are some of you removing the u-bolts when you remove the hitch from the truck? Once the u-bolts are torqued in place the should not be removed.

5erWonk

I have been using the B&W hitch for 3 years now and love it. It is a super quality product and best of all USA made. My question is why are some of you removing the u-bolts when you remove the hitch from the truck? Once the u-bolts are torqued in place the should not be removed.

Chester,

The U-bolts are torqued after the draw down bolt is torqued, therefore unless you loosen the u-bolt nuts there is still tension on the pin on the post and you can't detach.

Check Step #8 on the Companion install and removal istructions.

WRIGHT ll

retired Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I too have the B&W turnover ball and 5th wheel companion hitch, and have used it for over a year to tow my 3210 Cyclone. I agree with all of the above comments. It is convenient, easy to remove, giving you a completely flat floor in the truck bed. I haven't had any problems with the threads on the u bolts yet, and after seeing that there have been a few problems, will pay a lot more attention when I remove and install the hitch.

Hey Dirt1st, I thought I should tell you that you really won't be able to see any damage to the bolts prior to having a problem. You will find that when you attempt to tighten or loosen the nuts they will sieze up and are pretty much impossible to turn. The next thing is to find replacement hardware and to cut the bolts off. So far I only had the problem with the u-bolts and not the hold down bolt. I don't know what one would do if the hold down bolt galled in the post.

5erWonk

Hey Dirt1st, I thought I should tell you that you really won't be able to see any damage to the bolts prior to having a problem. You will find that when you attempt to tighten or loosen the nuts they will sieze up and are pretty much impossible to turn. The next thing is to find replacement hardware and to cut the bolts off. So far I only had the problem with the u-bolts and not the hold down bolt. I don't know what one would do if the hold down bolt galled in the post.

I've only heard of the problem on the U-bolts not the draw down on the post.

Country

This thread is a little dated, but I would like to add my opinion about B&W. I have had their "Turn over Ball" hitch in my last 3 trucks (6 years worth of use) and the Companion 5er in my newest truck for a year now. I can't say enough about what a great product they make and their commitment to the customer. I've never had any problems out of the Turn over Ball, but did have the U-bolt trouble with the Companion. I called them and they said they've been seeing the problem and are working out a solution. Said they would send me out some new U-bolts right away. The very next day I received a package with a kit containing new U-bolts, post and hardware. I didn't ask to have it "next day" (or the extra parts), but they did anyway(commitment to the customer).

People are always looking and commenting on the quality construction. I just smile and say "yeah, I really like this hitch"....

Hope you did get the B&W. It's a great hitch!