How much can a CY 3110 carry

I'm new to this forum. I was looking at a new 2016 CY 3110 today and am confused about what it will carry. I have a 1500 lbs 4 wheeler that I want to put in the back. Looking through this forum I see stories of cracked frames. Is this too much weight to put in the back? After adding in 110 gallons of water, fuel for 2 gas tanks and propane how much more weight will this trailer carry approximately? I would be pulling it with a 1 ton Duramax. The cargo capacity is rated at ~1865.

danemayer

Hi OverTheHill,

You don't seem to be confused. You're looking at a toy hauler with a stated carrying capacity that's barely over the weight of your 4 wheeler. You'll have a lot of other stuff that you put in your trailer, so you really need more capacity.

You may want to look at the specs for Cyclones on the HeartlandRVs.com website to find one that matches your weight requirements and has the floor plan and features you want.

danemayer

I have a salesman that says "No problem--You have lots of excess capacity!"

If you listen to the salesman, you'll exceed the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of the trailer. The first points of failure I'd be concerned with would be the axles and tires.

Lynn1130

Dan, Maybe I missed something here but the 3110 has a gross of 15500 and dry of 12820. The 2680 difference is more than "barely" over his 1500 four wheeler. Granted there is more that will go into the CY and with water, fuel and supplies he will probably be over.

danemayer

Dan, Maybe I missed something here but the 3110 has a gross of 15500 and dry of 12820. The 2680 difference is more than "barely" over his 1500 four wheeler. Granted there is more that will go into the CY and with water, fuel and supplies he will probably be over.

That's a good question Lynn.

Yesterday I looked at a set of specs for a 2017 3100 that showed carrying capacity of around 1,800 or so.
Today I looked at one set of specs for a 2016 CY 3100 that showed GVWR at 16,250 and Dry at 14,325. Difference of 1,925.

The NADA site shows carrying capacity of 1,865 for a 2016.

So there seem to be differences in specs depending on where you look. But I haven't see any with the weights you found. And of course the 3110 specs don't seem to be available on the Heartland site any longer.

Sniper

That's a good question Lynn.

Yesterday I looked at a set of specs for a 2017 3100 that showed carrying capacity of around 1,800 or so.
Today I looked at one set of specs for a 2016 CY 3100 that showed GVWR at 16,250 and Dry at 14,325. Difference of 1,925.

The NADA site shows carrying capacity of 1,865 for a 2016.

So there seem to be differences in specs depending on where you look. But I haven't see any with the weights you found. And of course the 3110 specs don't seem to be available on the Heartland site any longer.
It is confusing. On our 3010 there's a sticker that says "2500 lbs max in cargo area" that seems straight forward enough. On the door sticker it says the dry weight is 11,162 lbs and "do not exceed 2760 lbs cargo" so that seems to me if I have 2500 (we have about 1700 lbs in there) in the cargo area then I only 270 lbs for everything else, ok. The sticker on the side says GVWR 14,000 lbs. So 14000 - 11162 = 2838 that's 78 lbs difference from what the door sticker says or about the weight of the Commanders shoes on board. Confusing. :)

danemayer

My advice to the OP is to ignore specs found on the internet. Look at the GVWR on the label front/off-door-side to find the maximum loaded weight the trailer is rated for. Then look inside the entry door frame for a yellow sticker showing the actual empty weight as the trailer left the factory floor. The difference is the carrying capacity for that trailer.

Lynn1130

Yes my garage also says 2500 lbs with the same gross etc that you show. It is confusing. My Honda Pioneer weighs about 1150 wet so I am OK by the garage sticker but with water and camping gear/food it is pushing it. I travel without water when it is available at a RV park but boon-docking/hunting I am full up.

The figures I found on the 2016 3110 were from one that I found for sale on an RV sales site and another site with a different one for sale had the same info but then who knows?

porthole

Retired
2 axle cyclones have had several different GVW's with no change in rig.

Some are 14,000 (2 - 7,000 pound axles)
Some are 15,500 (2 - 7,000 pound axles plus 1,500 from the pinbox)

Some 3 axles were the same way. I have seen 18,000, 19,500 and 20,500, all the same model.