Bighorn - Over Air TV Reception

desertden

I purchased this Big Horn 3055RL in May of 2007 new, but have never tried to use the Antenna for TV reception until now. I cranked up the Antenna and turned on the amplifier in the bedroom which has no TV. There is no signal received on any channel on the Olevia HDTV in the Living Room. No information regarding use of the Antenna is provided in the Owner's Manual. What is the secret to make this work? Cable reception works fine, but there is no cable available where we are currently parked. We will be here for an extended period of time.

pegmikef

I purchased this Big Horn 3055RL in May of 2007 new, but have never tried to use the Antenna for TV reception until now. I cranked up the Antenna and turned on the amplifier in the bedroom which has no TV. There is no signal received on any channel on the Olevia HDTV in the Living Room. No information regarding use of the Antenna is provided in the Owner's Manual. What is the secret to make this work? Cable reception works fine, but there is no cable available where we are currently parked. We will be here for an extended period of time.

Did you change the TV's input from cable to OTA antenna?

Last edited by a moderator:

RoadJunkie

You will need to turn on the OTA preamp. There is a button on the outlet panel, typically located on the bedroom antenna connection, that operates the preamp. When you toggle the button a small led light will illuminate indicating the preamp is on. Toggle "ON" for OTA, toggle off for "Cable".

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: ATF: Bighorn - Over Air TV Reception

Most likely your batwing antenna is not receiving the UHF digital signal.
I suggest picking up and installing a King Jack Antenna. Around $40.

Peace
Dave

mlpeloquin

You need to make sure the coax is positioned for the antenna and cable. Once this is done you press the little black button switch so that the red LED is on. That turns on the over the air amplifier. Then you must go into the TV's settings and set it to "OVER THE AIR" or "ANTENNA" depending on what manufactures set you have. Finally you have to have it scan for channels. If others in the park where you are at are using their antenna, turn yours the same direction, otherwise you may have to scan up to four times to get the most channels. Once there tune to the weakest channel and fine tune the direction of the antenna. There are other antennas that can be purchased to replace your batwing antenna.

This one will find the strongest signal as you rotate it.
King OA8200 Jack HDTV Over-The-Air Antenna with Mount and Built-in Signal Meter
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KING-OA8200...ash=item1c7cad570c:g:KMIAAOSw4A5YnmM1&vxp=mtr

This one will automatically fine the signals.
Winegard RZ-8500 White Rayzar Automatic Amplified TV Antenna
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Winegard-RZ...ash=item1ec00a0a54:g:-eIAAOSwjDZYgmH9&vxp=mtr

LBR

Just for reference, a handy mobile app to find the local stations direction and distance is 'DTV Antennas' once you get some stations working.

danemayer

Even if the red LED is illuminated, there's a possibility you have a blown fuse in the main fuse box. With the signal booster LED illuminated, check the fuse box to see if you have an LED lit up there.

BusManRG

Just for reference, a handy mobile app to find the local stations direction and distance is 'DTV Antennas' once you get some stations working.

Thanks so much for the app suggestion!!! Just downloaded and it's great...and free! Also I'll agree with those recommending the King Jack. We were fortunate that Heartland started installing them about the same week our unit was produced! Since we hadn't planned on it, I'd already researched the cost. Well worth the $40 or so to make the switch. If I were buying it myself though, I would probably get the upgraded version with the signal finder built in.

Sandy

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
The KingJack replacement head is probably the best $50 we've spent on our trailers!

Takes about 5 minutes to install and will pull in more stations than the batwing does by far!

ProwlerMaxxAirFrontDoneStorm-P1010871.jpg

rhodies1

I removed my original antenna and installed the King Jack,you will need the base plate that is available for the King ,when Heartland cuts the hole and rubber roof for the original,I think they use a butter knife,very sloppy area and the base plate is needed to cover the hole.
New system works great.

ksucats

Not sure if the OP got the TV working but something else to consider is that most stations went Digital since 2009. As such many of the older TVs require a digital box to get the newer Digital channels. On my SOB that we traded the batwing antenna was not digital ready so we had to upgrade it and the TV to get the OTA channels. We also had problems with a couple of campgrounds that had gone to digital cable at that same time. Many were still analog so it took some effort to figure out that the TV was not compatible.

mlpeloquin

Not sure if the OP got the TV working but something else to consider is that most stations went Digital since 2009. As such many of the older TVs require a digital box to get the newer Digital channels. On my SOB that we traded the batwing antenna was not digital ready so we had to upgrade it and the TV to get the OTA channels. We also had problems with a couple of campgrounds that had gone to digital cable at that same time. Many were still analog so it took some effort to figure out that the TV was not compatible.

Not sure what TV's you have, but both of mine in my Big Horn will receive the parks digital or analog cable channels. I even got a crappy old analog station out in the desert a month ago along with the digital stations with the batwing antenna.

I have same problem with my 2013 3070rl, mine works fine in bedroom & outside but not in living room. I had Dish & it worked fine but not on antenna. As for yours, check that your signal booster is on (red light burning). My booster is in closet in.bedroom. Cable guy may have changed cable connection on booster. You should have antennae wiring info in your owner packet. Hope this helps you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pegmikef

One of the folks here at the Sweetheart Rally has had coax problems of some time now. This morning he and some of the other folks investigated it and found two problems.

1) Most of the connectors behind the outlets and amplifier in the bedroom were loose. They tightened them all of and it is working ok.

2) One of the cables to the splitter behind the outside outlet in the basement was not even connected. They just by passed the splitter and connected the cables using a barrel connector has there were no plans to use the outside outlet.

ksucats

RE my post earlier - the TV that came in my coach was a CRT model (the old big heavy tube things - what a pain in the back carrying it out when we upgraded to LCD). The coach antenna had a square RF block on it - the digital is more of a tear-drop shape. In any case, once the antenna was upgraded we could get OTA channels but we had to use a digital to analog converter box. Once we upgraded it, along with the TV, were donated to a relief agency that wanted it.

Did not mean to hijack the thread, my apologies to the OP.