Exhaust soot on trailer

Gary Steeves

I seem to get a good bit of diesel exhaust soot on the front of the 5er and also some down the side. I do get some dark exhaust coming out the pipe when getting on it going up some grades - but not any that I notice when not under heavy acceleration.

Anyone else having this problem (solutions ?) - and have you tried installing exhaust tips ?

Thanks for any help !

Uncle Rog

Gary, we have exactly the same truck and have never had any exhaust soot problems, although you probably pull a lot more than we do. I see you use the "juice" is it possible that is partly responsible?

SmokeyBare

I found an Exhaust down-turn at Napa.

I just couldn't bring my self to spend $50 to $70 for one of those chrome ones... This one is a simple galvanized exhaust tip that I used a stainless steel draw band clamp to hold it in place. I believe it cost about $ 20.00.

It sure eliminated the soot stains on the curb side of our BigHorn.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
I soot up the fenders and mudflaps on my dually pretty good. Like you I don't see it unless getting on it..... or I forget to switch back to tow/econo instead of performance or extreme/Crazy Larry:eek:

Black smoke is raw unburnt fuel.

Waxing the trailer or at least that area will help it clean off a lot easier.

timk

Gary,
I have found it to be hopeless. I have tried turndowns, wax, even washing the rig every now and then, and it still gets black. Been thinking about painting it black.
TimK

Gary Steeves

Thanks for the replys. I think Uncle Rog has nailed it, since I didn't have the problem before installing the Edge Juice. Maybe that's the price I have to pay for enjoying the incredible extra power in tow mode with the Juice w/ Attitude. I'll call Edge Products to see if some settings should be adjusted as well as checking out the down-turn tip that SmokeyBare is using.

Thanks, Gary

Uncle Rog

Gary, did you install the unit with any other mods, exhaust flow etc? I have heard mostly good reports about the system. Are you getting better mileage, and is the power noticeably improved and did you install it yourself?

Gary Steeves

Roger, I installed myself -easy to do. I just returned from my first trip using it and was very impressed. Went from 11.1 mpg (on my last Florida trip) to 13.2. I was most impressed with going up the various hills (mountains) from North Carolina to Michigan via Tenn., Ky., Ohio. On grades (with some exceptions), it pulled them without downshifting - while on cruise at 60 mph.

If you buy one, search around for best price. The locals here wanted an even grand to buy and their install. I ended up at just under $700 with my own install, which was about an hour total time. Make sure you use the correct tap/threads for the EGT probe in the exhaust manifold.

I have not added any other mods, although I may consider the exhaust system mods available.

If I can help, just let me know.

Gary

Last edited:

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
I just had a 4 inch turbo back installed for $500. (Aluminized pipe) but the dealer bought them on close out, I think $600-$700 is about the going price at regular price.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Turbo back is the exhaust running from the turbocharger all the way back, often eliminating the catalytic converter if your truck has one. Cat back goes from the catalytic converter on back.

Most factory diesel exhaust systems are 3.5" which is why many people opt to go 4" all the way from the turbo. Some factory systems like my Dodge are already 4" and can be upgraded simply by changing the muffler and eliminating the CAT or go all out and go 5"

Benefits of a good aftermarket exhaust is lower exhaust gas temps and a few HP.

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
The turbo back is a 4 inch exhaust (The turbo end is 3.5 inch then expands to 4 inch) that eliminates the smoke collector (catalytic converter), resonator, and restrictive muffler. Throttle response and turbo spin up is very noticeable. The Donalson filter in the Ford flows pretty well, I am going to open the intake snorkel up (not sure how just yet) to let a little more air in before I spend the money on a complete kit.

Just an FYI on on the Edge chips. A Mechanic friend of mine had the Edge chip on his Duramax. The truck started getting a error code about a transmission problem while pulling his fifth wheel, He found that it was due to a know problem with the Edge program, he took it back to the supplier and he swapped it with a Super chip. I don't have all the details on models and such, but just a heads up.

Last edited:

Uncle Rog

Sign of the times...........

The performance shop around the corner from the lumber yard is going out of business and he has in stock a full intake / exhaust set that will fit my truck.
It was ordered, with a deposit, but never fully paid for or installed.
The intake is an AFE unit and the cat back unit is a Magnaflow. He is making me a deal, installed, I can't refuse.
I am not pulling the trigger on a "tuner" yet, too many mixed reviews.
A friend of mine bought a Banks system, complete, and his performance increased so much with the intake / exhaust that he has not even installed the electronics yet.
Any way the new stuff goes in today.

BJ'sDad

I've got a 4 inch turbo back Magnaflow exhaust system on my Ram, only using a Hypertech programmer on the engine and get very little soot on the front of the trailer. I do however get a lot on the rear lower corner of the bed and corner of the bumper and on the exhaust tip.

Uncle Rog

Wow!

I did a really good thing installing the intake / exhaust system. The guy at the shop was mistaken about what he had. The units were both AFE.
I tell you what, the extra power is QUITE noticable and there does not seem to be any more exhaust than I had prior. The noise level is higher, but not miserably so.
I am still holding back on the tuner, if this works like it appears to I will not need it.
The mileage seems to have improved by a couple of MPG's, I will fill 'er up and give a good test......