Which Surge Protector?

WillyBill

Hello All,

So I see that there are a number of different grades of surge protectors out there. Also I saw on somebody's forum post somewhere that the Camco one will only handle one surge and then has to be replaced-not warranteed for being burned up due to a surge even if it saved my trailer. Does this sound right? Is this true of other brands does anyone know? Do you think that they are necessary/a good idea/ provide needed protection? Has anyone had surge experience stories to tell us all? What is your favorite brand and why?

Thanks for the feedback,
WB :cool:

mlpeloquin

Our Progressive surge protector saved our rig on our last trip. In a park that has seen better days for the wiring, we would draw 4 amps on a 30 amp service and under voltage below 105VAC. It opened the circuit many times. Worst park I have ever been in for power. The park was recently sold and the new owners are in the process of rewiring the park. Didn't help us, but so long as the section of the park we were in, the voltage would very between 107 to 112VAC. The Progressive protects from over/under voltage, surges, and open neutral. Cannot beat it. If I had a autoformer, I would have had power. It would have boosted the voltage up ten volts. The autoformer will reduce the maximum current draw. It trades some current for a voltage boost. That being said, we were protected. Progressive will repair or replace a failed unit as long as you are the original owner for as long as you own it.

WillyBill

Thanks for the3 Feedback.

So you folks think the Progressive offers enough benefits to make it worth 3 x the cost of Camco's unit?

WB

- - - Updated - - -

@MPELOQUIN

OFF TOPIC (Again)
I'm just about to pull the trigger on the Flexair pin box. How do you feel about the benefits? I'm hoping smoothing out the trailer will stop the loaded water tank from falling out the bottom of my trailer like it almost did last year during hunting season. Not due to offroading but going down the bouncy roads in Wyoming, LOL.

WB

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I think you will be very happy with the FlexAir. You will notice a huge improvement in your truck but I don't think it will help keep your tanks in place.
And I think that the Progressive EMT is worth the money.

Peace
Dave

Remember you get what you pay for.
I have Progressive & think it's great and we'll worth the money.
One power failure resulting in damage to your rig will cost more than the unit.
Hockster

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Remember you get what you pay for.
I have Progressive & think it's great and we'll worth the money.
One power failure resulting in damage to your rig will cost more than the unit.
Hockster

WB, this is coming from a Master Electrician.
I would trust his advise.

Peace
Dave

alwaysbusy

Another here that invested in Progressive. Please remember that some are just that, a surge protector. I honestly think it's just as important to have one that continually monitors over/under. May I entertain you, and all others?

Years ago we did not use one with a previous coach. One time we were hooked up to 30amp, I plugged our Cuisinart coffee maker/grinding unit in and it would not come on. Being funny, I took the broken $120 maker my DW had bought a couple years prior to and threw it out the coach door as hard as I could. It hit the ground and broke into many pieces next to everyone sitting around the evening campfire. Everyone laughed as it was a riot. DW and I drove to Wally World about 9:30 PM which was over 40 minutes away and bought a $19 Black and Decker as morning is not morning w/o. 40 minutes back to the campsite that evening , plugged the B & D in only to discover it did not turn on either. After further testing, campground was not supplying a true 30 amps and was not enough to power everything together. All of a sudden I was not so funny any more.

Lessons? Don't assume, and don't try to be funny...especially with the DW's $120 appliance. She tells this story to everyone, and I mean everyone. As for me, I went out and spent a few hundred dollars on a Progressive. It was my way of ensuring I'd never happen again.

Since having it, it has shut us down as it should on a couple of occasions. Great product.

danemayer

Surge protectors that protect only against surges are much less expensive. Electrical Management Systems (EMS) protect against surges along with some much more common problems including low voltage, high voltage, open neutral, reverse polarity, etc.

It's not at all uncommon to run into electrical problems. TravelTiger posted about a problem detected by their EMS on arrival at a campground last night. The park had to repair the pedestal.

You can read about EMS features in the documents at this link. Progressive's EMS comes with a lifetime warranty.

WillyBill

Well now then...

I guess I just found something(s) to spend my tax return on-Flex Air and Progressive. Good answers all.

Thanks,

WB

LBR

Another CY owner here...The first thing I purchased for ours was the Snap Pads because of a group buy plan. We were on vacation, but jumped at the deal.

The second purchase, and first non-spontaneous purchase, was the HW-50 with dual remote displays. It is invaluable for me to see the draw on either Line 1 or 2...And how many amps.

This is just the superficial rewards.....the EMS is hard at work 24/7 protecting the coach.

mlpeloquin

Flex Air will remove the hard shock that is transferred to the front frames. It also eliminates a lot of the chucking. For an even better ride, add air bags to your truck. Your water tank should be near your axles. To smooth that out look at JoyRyder Shock Mounts, or go expensive with independent suspension, or even better air suspension. The JoyRyder will do the job well enough though.

DWChris

Progressive is the way to go in my opinion. They are also great to work with. Mine went out (not because of a surge) and they Fed Ex'd me one immediately. Highly recommend and worth the extra cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

asherwin

I like my Surge Guard 34850. It has all the features of the Progressive, however does not have the lifetime warranty.

WillyBill

I think you will be very happy with the FlexAir. You will notice a huge improvement in your truck but I don't think it will help keep your tanks in place.
And I think that the Progressive EMT is worth the money.

Peace
Dave

Dave,

If there have been any "tanks in place" solutions in the forum I must have missed. Do you know of/ have the link to anyone with a CY have the fresh water tanks trying to fall out?

Thanks,

WB

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Dave,

If there have been any "tanks in place" solutions in the forum I must have missed. Do you know of/ have the link to anyone with a CY have the fresh water tanks trying to fall out?

Thanks,

WB
Several people here on the forum have beefed up the tank support by adding a piece of Unistrut or angle iron under the tank from side to side.
An 8' piece of either one bolted to the flange of the I-beam frame will do the trick.

Peace
Dave

WillyBill

Dave,

Thanks for the reply. Any idea of dimensions on the angle required to provide enough support to hold up?

Thanks,

WB