Tire Pressure Change (hot vs cold)

Kathi-27

trying to set up tst tpms. can anyone tell me about how much air press gain they have seen from cold to hot when traveling on tv and 5th wheel trailer. they say to leave temp setting alone. any advice will be helpfull. thanks

hoefler

Re: air pressure

On my dually I set all tires to 80 psi cold. I have seen 95 psi when outside temps where in the 90*s running down the interstate. I don't know what the trailer gets to, don't have them on a monitor.

LBR

I run 110 psi cold on all 12 tires, 6 on TV and 6 on CY. With an IR gun, I shoot all tires, hubs, and brakes every 2 hours at rest stops.

The tires will gain a few more psi on the sunny side vs the shaded side running at 60 mph for a couple hours, but I've never seen more than a 20 psi gain........so 130 psi has been my max (so far). The 6 CY tires run around 120° +-, the TV front tires around 110° , and the rear 4 get upwards of 130°.

avvidclif

TV and RV they typically go up ~15-20 lbs in 100+ summer heat. Starting at 80 on TV and 105 on RV.

mlpeloquin

Hot 105F going through the desert sun side 20psi gain. So add at least 25psi to your TPMS.

pegmikef

Hot 105F going through the desert sun side 20psi gain. So add at least 25psi to your TPMS.

The instructions with my tst507 recommended adding 30 percent of the maximum pressure for the tire. In my case I added 33 pounds as the max psi on mine is 110 psi.