2900MK - dumb question on draining the fresh water tank.

ptillett

Okay guys, I read through the book and didn't see a lick on draining your fresh water tank. p.s. I am a newbie! First RV and love it! Wished I had discovered this world sooner (when gas was cheap!).

There are 3 hoses hanging out the belly of the rig. One close to the hot water and I seem to remember that was the hot water tank drain (and it's red). The other two are back of and on the same side as the steps. One blue, one red. I thought that might be the fresh water drain. It is listed in the manual schematic (of piping) as the two low point drains. I would assume one for hot water lines, one for cold water lines.

I didn't like the idea of running my pump to empty the fresh water tank. And, my sensors in the fresh water tank show it as full. I know (or feel) that is incorrect and I have only used it one time! and, not for long. I would just like to know it's empty and I am not dragging 100's of extra pounds down the road.

Thanks for any input (besides negative). LOL :)

As I was told when I did my walk thru, the red and blue on the same side are the low point drains, the one hose by itself on the other side is the fresh water tank drain. Open it and find out, it shouldn't hurt.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Nothing wrong with being new. Having the intellegence to ask a question before doing something wrong ain't dumb...... Now doing it wrong after being told how to do it right is dumb LOL.

I'm not familiar with the workings of the sundance so I don't know where the potable water tank drain is. On my Wilderness I just pull the T handle on the fresh water tank valve and let it rip.

Transporting RVs for a living I find that weight makes little difference in fuel economy but aerodynamics does. I actually get better fuel economy (around 2 mpg) pulling 10k - 12k fifth wheels than 6k - 8k travel trailers with the exception of some like the North Trail with the aero nose. This is due to less air gap between the truck and trailer.

I used to think the same way and pull my own travel trailer with the fresh tank empty but don't anymore after having lost my water pump on the truck and broke down in the middle of nowhere with no water to fill the radiator, drink, clean up to eat or to clean up after fixing the truck which took 6 hrs in a hot July sun. I find it better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Stay safe and welcome.

fishn2dmax

I have a 2900 MK. The hose that hangs down on the water heater ( Left side) is the fresh water tank drain. The Water heater drain is plug/ anode on the side of the water heater that is removed. The other two hoses that hang down under the step area are for the kitchen winterizing and are on the pressure side of the pump. Unfortunately my 2900 MK fresh water tank drain doesn't drain the tank all the way? I estimate it leaves 7-10 gallons remaining. I took it in to have this corrected under warranty and they told me "Heartland say this is normal" and would not pay for the the dealer time to fix it. Personally, I feel there is a problem when you can't drain all the water out of a fresh water tank. As a result, I have had to treat my tank for the residual water that went bad. I've owned many coaches, and was able to totally drain the fresh water tanks. I like my Sundance, but not being able to totally drain the fresh water tank is a real sore spot with me!!!

Pulltab

I have a bighorn that has a couple of valves in the bay for probably winterizing . I would have to look but I know if I close one of the valves it will pump the water out of the tank using the onboard pump. :), along with opening the drain valve you can speed up the process

ptillett

I found the fresh water drain. I must say, I must have been narrow minded, thinking that hose close to the hot water tank was the hot water tank drain. Right there was a little stickie - Fresh Water Drain.... :)

Sometimes, we should just keep our mouths shut. LOL Thanks again.

Thedonald

I had the same problem with the Sundance 3200ES. I asked the customer service and the reply was as follows:
"There is a line stubbed out under the unit that has a valve on it. The other option is to go to the outside of the unit to the water heater vent and open it. Turn the WH off and take the plug out of the bottom of it. You can turn the pump on and run all of he water out at the drain and it will empty the WH as well. Hope this helps a little more"
Note: I did not find the stubbed out valve so I did the WH bit. It worked but not to well and I wasn't real comfortable that all of the water was out.