Rant about GM

Mattman

Just need to vent...
Why is it that my crappy Yukon xl 1500 can tow maybe a little bit more than mini van. When. Even a Ford Expedition has a 15000 GCWR versus my 13000.
Not that it's a huge difference, but makes me go really? (To be fair I had no intents of owing a camper when I got it) They advertise these things as trucks with towing capabilities. But really, they don't. Darn thing even has a hard time pulling my aluminum boat up a hill. Not to mention the stupid thing burns oil thanks to a there AFM design that had some flaws in it. There response was, it's still with in the parameters of what they say. I'm sorry. It's shouldn't burn a QT and half every 3k.

I have here by resolved to never by another GM product so as long as I live. I know all brands have there goods and bads. But seems like every all my GM products have had issues. Major ones.
Now excuse me, I gotta go fix my excursion for camping seasson......

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I like my Chevy 2500HD so far.

First GM truck I've ever owned (have had five Dodge and three Ford trucks over the years) and
so far in 2 1/2 years and just over 54,000 miles it hasn't let me down yet!

RifleCO2014-IMG_2931.jpg ProwlerMonarchPass-P1010480.jpg

It is a trailer hauling beast!

windviewer

I have here by resolved to never by another GM product so as long as I live. I know all brands have there goods and bads. But seems like every all my GM products have had issues. Major ones.
I resolved that back in 1987 (last GM owned or considered). Although not best for towing large trailers, have used Toyota since 1990 for everything and current tundra is fine for our trailer (20RBS). (There was a Jeep Cherokee between 1987 and 1990; they are also on my resolved to never list)

Lynn1130

What does the "crappy" Yukon have for an engine and transmission and how is it geared? That might be your difference.

Mattman

What does the "crappy" Yukon have for an engine and transmission and how is it geared? That might be your difference.

Set aside the trans and engine. The oil consumption burns me more than that. Oil consumption was a thing of the 80s. Not the 2009s. But I knew the 3.55 was geared for MPG, not for max towing. But the claimed 20mpg on the highway is a false as well. Unless your driving 65 by your self down hill. Like I said. I bought it thinking more MPG at the time and ability to tow my boat. Not a camper. I think it is sub par towing my boat (2000lbs maybe). But on the to tow check. Take that truck and add weight of people and few tools. It says you can tow 4500 lbs. Thats half of there claim. And we all know automotive companies will brag about there tow ratings. But real life is always another story. But I am just complaining cause I don't want to sell it and my excursion for another potential problem truck. I at least know what my problems are. I could be getting a bigger ones. Or at least so my luck would go.

Lynn1130

I have never had a vehicle that burned more than a quarter quart in 5000 miles and most, including the current truck burn nothing between oil changes. A lot of things can cause excessive oil consumption not the least of which is running hot for extended periods. A 3.55 rear end will put a lot of stress on the engine with a load on. I will leave it at that.

Pretty much if I found that I had the wrong vehicle for the job, I changed vehicles.

Mattman

I have never had a vehicle that burned more than a quarter quart in 5000 miles and most, including the current truck burn nothing between oil changes. A lot of things can cause excessive oil consumption not the least of which is running hot for extended periods. A 3.55 rear end will put a lot of stress on the engine with a load on. I will leave it at that.

Pretty much if I found that I had the wrong vehicle for the job, I changed vehicles.

The oil consumption is not from over heating. Google AFM oil consumption and you will find a large group of people with similar problems. 5.3 motors in the 2007- 2010 era. Silverado/sierra included which run a lower gear ratio. Mine like many others burns oil even with no load. Wife and kids only. It dosent tow a camper anymore. My brother in law has an Impala SS with the 5.3. Burns oil.

Jim-Lynn

Just need to vent...
Why is it that my crappy Yukon xl 1500 can tow maybe a little bit more than mini van. When. Even a Ford Expedition has a 15000 GCWR versus my 13000.
Not that it's a huge difference, but makes me go really? (To be fair I had no intents of owing a camper when I got it) They advertise these things as trucks with towing capabilities. But really, they don't. Darn thing even has a hard time pulling my aluminum boat up a hill. Not to mention the stupid thing burns oil thanks to a there AFM design that had some flaws in it. There response was, it's still with in the parameters of what they say. I'm sorry. It's shouldn't burn a QT and half every 3k.

Now excuse me, I gotta go fix my excursion for camping seasson......

Mattman; I "had" some GM's and moved on. They do make a nice vehicle, but if they spent more attention to the things you are talking about rather than slamming their competition they would be a lot better off.

Jim

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I think that in this day and age they ALL make great vehicles . . .

And they ALL have a few duds get out the door . . .

Just like the RV manufacturers.

MP_CS

I think that in this day and age they ALL make great vehicles . . .

And they ALL have a few duds get out the door . . .

Just like the RV manufacturers.

So far I've owned a truck from every manufacturer out there, dodge, gm, nissan,ford,toyota. I've had "issues with every one of them, some serious some not. As john pointed out as far as today's vehicle goes there all pretty much on par with one another. Theres no such thing as a trouble free vehicle, never will be.

Lynn1130

Theres no such thing as a trouble free vehicle, never will be

I have had a few over the years that came close including the wife's current car but like any piece of machinery they are man made and thus imperfect.

MP_CS

I have had a few over the years that came close including the wife's current car but like any piece of machinery they are man made and thus imperfect.

I bet you're talking about a toyota or nissan👍. They were by far my most trouble free trucks, sure wish one of them would make a HD truck to compete with the big three. That titan XD, not sure whatthey are trying to do with that one.

212Pilot

I have an 04 Yukon XL 137000 miles with a towing package and I regularly pull a car hauler with my jeep on it and never had a problem. Last fall I hauled a 1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer on 300 mile trip through the mountains. That beast pulled 70 MPH up a 7% Grade with no problems. I also used to pull a 26' travel trailer with a 1500 Suburban and it did just fine but it also had the gear in the rear to do that.

robk

I have an '03 Suburban with 230K on it. It's rated to tow 7200 pounds. Until we recently purchased a 3500 dually and a 5th wheel we used the Suburban to tow a 30' trailer all over the mid-Atlantic. The gross weight on the trailer was probably 5500-6k pounds. We always seem to take way too much crap. Never had a problem towing. Only time it really struggled was through the mountains of WV. Other than having to replace the transfer case and the front hubs, it's been very reliable. My wife love is, and it can't be beat on a long trip. The 3500 is a 2013 Silverado crew cab, long bed, diesel, dually. Needless to say, it has no problem towing.