Plumbling: Possible water heater drain mod

erond

On the 26RKS the water heater is on the street-side of the front storage compartment. It seems like it would be trivial to add a water heater drain by an additional valve/hose at the water heater bypass.

Is there a reason why the only documented/official method I can find to drain the water heater is by removing the anode, or should this work?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work. Before we went full time, we used our trailer often enough that we never drained the water heater. Our annual check of the Anode Rod occurred when we winterized. That also gave us the opportunity to clean out the crappy stuff in the heater. The only down side may be another fitting/valve to be concerned with leaking. I also don't know how much water might remain in the tank with a drain on a supply line.

nscaler2

It won't work in mine

Our 3055RL has a Suburban brand water heater in it. That anode rod would not work in it.

DennisZ

Nscaler2

I also have a 3055 with a suburban heater, and I got a rod like Forrest had a link to, and have been using it for 2 years, it's the easy way to drain the heater. If you can't find the model for the suburban, you can use the model for the Attwod by buying a brass 1/2" to 3/4" adapter, that's all mine had in the kit that was different.
If you want the whole kit, here's a link to one on E-Bay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RV-A...012QQitemZ220260329291QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
Dennis