Is this a normal roof?

schew

Hi all,
Looking for input from everyone to see if I need to be concerned with these wrinkles on my fairly new Torque 31.
These wrinkles run east to west and looks to be every 4', perhaps right where each of sheets of plywood meet under the membrane.
Weather here has been very, very wet, Temps in the 50-to-low 60's.
I do not recall seeing these wrinkles when I bought the trailer back in September but there's the possibility they existed then too, could the cooler weather cause the membrane to contract a bit?
IS THIS A CONCERN?

Attachments

• 20170223_112248.jpg
    20170223_112248.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 204
  • 20170223_112203.jpg
    20170223_112203.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 189

mlburst1

We've had similar wrinkles in our roof since the rig was new - I don't think it's anything to be concerned with.

Mike

schew

We've had similar wrinkles in our roof since the rig was new - I don't think it's anything to be concerned with.

Mike
Thanks for your input, could you describe your roof's wrinkles in further detail?
Just wanted to hear if it was "similar" like you said or identical.
Makes me wonder if they allow a small gap between plywood sheets for expansion?

rhodies1

I do not think this looks correct,it looks like the fibreboard on the roof rafter has come lose,try pushing down on the board to see if you get movement. I would ask Heartland for their opinion.

mlburst1

Thanks for your input, could you describe your roof's wrinkles in further detail?
Just wanted to hear if it was "similar" like you said or identical.
Makes me wonder if they allow a small gap between plywood sheets for expansion?

I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post them.

donr827

I have had a few small bubbles on the rvs I have purchased but never a ridge like that. Looks like a bad installation to me.
Don

Az_Ernie

I do not think this looks correct,it looks like the fibreboard on the roof rafter has come lose,try pushing down on the board to see if you get movement. I would ask Heartland for their opinion.
As Mike said, "probably" nothing to be concerned about, however I agree with rhodies1, a call to Heartland would be on my to do list.

Ernie

Bones

I would recommend a few things before you make the call. take pictures of the wrinkles when just the landing gear is down. Place some delicate blue painters tape in the vicinity of the wrinkles along the sides put a small mark on the blue tape. Use outside calipers or divider calipers.
Outside calipers
outside caliper.jpg
Divider calipers
straight caliper.jpg

Measure the distance from the marks on the tape. Do this along the wrinkle and if you have other wrinkles check them.

Next hook up your Tow vehicle go up top and measure and take pictures. Your looking for movement.

This should help you in determining if something is moving and causing the roofing material to bunch up.

A second possibility is when the roof was pulled onto the rig they accidentally didn't pull it tight and it bunched where you see it. If you keep an eye on it and let the factory know you should be able to tell if it can grow to be a larger issue.

schew

I have spoken to Heartland and sent them pictures. They stated this shouldn't pose a problem, but will document this in my file. If it grows in size, I should contact them. Upon closer examination, there seems to be a 1/4" to 5/16" gap between plywood sheets, so there is nothing for the roofing material to adhere to, thus causing the membrane to wrinkle...

mlburst1

At each joint in our roof the rubber is wrinkled up 1/8 - 1/4 inch - been that way since new with no problems.
roof-3.jpgroof-2.jpg