BlackwaterTank Flush

azbound

I am getting conflicting methods from RV owners and would like to hear what you are doing to flush your BLACK WATER tank.

I have a clear connector valve. In my last 5er I would drain the tank, then flush for several minutes with valve open. Then close the valve allowing several gallons of water to go into the tank, then open the valve and drain. I would repeat this routine until the water ran clear.

My buddy has a Jayco and he tells me that Jayco tells him to never run the tank flush with the valve closed. For the life of me I can't see why they would tell him this.

Everyone's thoughts please, I have also submitted this question to Ask the Factory and will share their answer when I get one.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Forrest Fetherolf

AZ,
I do as you do..............not as Jayco stated. I have tried both ways, your and my way works best for me. What better way to add tank water for traveling "slush" than via the santi-flush?

Forrest

Dave

Traveling Two
Tank Flush

I do as Forest does, fill'er up and let it loose!! I was reading an article where a RV'er poured liquid clothes softener into the black tank, the claim was the the softener "slickened" the inside of the tank where nothing would stick to it. Ever heard of this procedurer?

Dave

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
For the life of me I can't see why they would tell him this.

For anyone who was at the first rally in Elkhart, they can tell you what happens if you forget to shut off the water when using the sani-flush to fill the black tank. I will never forget the mess that we made with water flowing over the top of the toilet, down the hall and out the door. Trust me, your neighbor is right. It is SO EASY to forget where you are at if you get distracted. I was lucky that I didn't blow the black tank.

beardedone

Beardedone
Dave, that is correct. A lot of people put Calgon in the tank and it makes the surface slick which aids in "everything" slipping out of the tank Some people also put some soap in the tank to help keep it cleaned out. One of the most important benefits of all this is that the sensors stay clean and fully operable.

jnbhobe

I do as Forrest says filler up and let it go till its clear. At home I use a macerator pump with a clear 45 elbowand pump it into the sewer.It WFM HAPPY CAMPING!! Jon & Patti :):):)

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
When staying an extended period (a week or longer) I will wait for 2-4 days (depending on how full the sensors read) and then open the flush handle. I use a clear connector so I can see when the flow slows. Then I flush with it open for a moment. I then close the flush handle, fill it until 1/2 to 3/4 full, shut off the flush and open then flush handle. When it quits flowing I turn on the flush water and let it run for a few moments until any debris quits. That seems to do the trick. Once a month or so (when on the road) I flush it by filling it up twice. I also put sanitizer in the tank when closed and it is in use. The sanitizer also helps break up the solids. I am careful to use only RV or Septic safe toilet paper also. I didn't use RV/Septic paper in my previous 5er and it caused the black tank to stop up once. What a mess.

Also be sure to keep your black tank flush valve closed when your black tank is being used. That way the liquids and solids mix and the solids will not dry out in your tank.

SmokeyBare

I dump the black only when it's full which I can always tell, because of the toilet Burps that happen when the tank is full ... I run the Sani Flush as I dump... watching for the water to clear up some... I never leave the gray water valves open when connected to a sewer... but drain them as they need drained. As far as using the Sani Flush to flow water into the black tank when the valve is closed... I always do this so there is water in the bottom of the tank... I feel this will slosh about as I drive... and help break up what might be still stuck somewhere or begin to break down that which is sure yet to come... (Yep I've stopped along the Hwy... )

If I am at a Campgrounds with out sewers and need to dump when leaving I try hard to make sure the RV is level at the dump station... even if that means using a block to lift the low side... If the dump station don't have a water hose connection ( Some dump sites only have a hose with a solid stream )

Once the black water is drained I will open the Gray tank from the shower which usually has a fast full flow. This I let back flow into the black tank... closing the gray valve... and letting the black empty once again... doing this several times seems to help clear what ever may have been left behind in the bottom of the black tank.

I have read others fear the thought of allowing black water into any of the gray water tanks.... dump water in my opinion is dump water... I've never understood why it mattered... nor do I care what happened behind those valves... As long as I can dump the tanks :)

Last... I dump the second gray water... kitchen sink water... Now here's where I wished there was another Sani Flush on that tank as well... toward the end of this tank flush... it can get "THICK"... flushing it out as best as I can... flushing out the disconnected hose one last time with clean water... I'd call it Done !

There has been some who feel they don't get all the water out of their tanks... one idea that might work would be to drive up on a couple blocks on the curb side... there by pitching the RV toward the dump station.... might help...

Matthias

Fulltimer
Interesting topic. Fascinating idea to forget shutting off the sani-flush with the valve closed. ;)

If I understand correctly, the black tank is directly under the toilet with no plumbing trap?

In the three weeks I've been living in my BC now, I dumped the tank about once every 6-7 days. I did not have any odor issues until the other day, when every time I flushed the toilet, the most horrendous cloud of toxic gas would enter the bathroom. Flushing and rinsing the tank solved the problem, but I've been wondering since why this happened.

Did the black tank chemical I put in just suddenly fail? I assume that is the case since it had been over 100 degrees and it had been sitting almost a week. It didn't seem to be a gradual deterioration, there was no odor at all and then it suddenly smelled very strong.

I hear some people use no chemical in the tank at all, wouldn't that lead to odor issues on every flush of the toilet?

Matthias

SmokeyBare

Matthias,

We've been full timing for 4 years now. I've yet to ever use a chemical in any of my tanks. No Right or wrong in my view... it's not been an odor problem for the most part.

Our old Sticks & Bricks life on the farm was with a septic tank system... keeping the balance of bacteria working inside the septic tank was important to a good working system. I tend to treat our RV life the same way... reducing any flow of bacteria damaging chemicals as much as I can going into the sewers of the campgrounds.

Could be many causes for the strong odor... even to the chance that the air was heavy outside... sort of like when smog or smoke hangs low to the ground... I'd have done the same as you... dump the tank... rinsing the tank well to help clear the solids out... leaving a little clear water in the bottom... hoping that it cleared up.

The only time I notice a strong odor from the black tank... and not every time... is when we pull in to a camp site.. there can be a smell in the bathroom stall... it clears quickly when we use the vent fans.

We also have discovered when we use the reversing fan in the bedroom... pulling air inside the RV... with conditions just right... there will develop a strong smell. I guess it's pulling it in from the air escaping from the roof vent...

Marv

Jimmyt5

I am like Smokey, haven't used anything in years. If it gets to the point where the pot burps I know its time to dump, rare that there is a smell, unless the trap door didn't get completely closed.

markandrenita

I do as Forest does, fill'er up and let it loose!! I was reading an article where a RV'er poured liquid clothes softener into the black tank, the claim was the the softener "slickened" the inside of the tank where nothing would stick to it. Ever heard of this procedurer?

Dave

THis is called the geo method and lots of people swear by it!

flyfishing48

We have been adding the Calgon or Dawn fabric softner since 2005. Haven't had a sensor issue yet and feel as though using the softner helps keep them clean.

Dave

Traveling Two
Calgon in black tank

Thanks Gerry for the feedback, I will give Calgon a try when our NEW Sundance 3300SK arrives in 6-8 weeks!! Thanks again! Dave

Dave, that is correct. A lot of people put Calgon in the tank and it makes the surface slick which aids in "everything" slipping out of the tank Some people also put some soap in the tank to help keep it cleaned out. One of the most important benefits of all this is that the sensors stay clean and fully operable.

azbound

I am getting conflicting methods from RV owners and would like to hear what you are doing to flush your BLACK WATER tank.

I have a clear connector valve. In my last 5er I would drain the tank, then flush for several minutes with valve open. Then close the valve allowing several gallons of water to go into the tank, then open the valve and drain. I would repeat this routine until the water ran clear.

My buddy has a Jayco and he tells me that Jayco tells him to never run the tank flush with the valve closed. For the life of me I can't see why they would tell him this.

Everyone's thoughts please, I have also submitted this question to Ask the Factory and will share their answer when I get one.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
I still have not received a response from the factory, when I do I will share the information.

Jimmyt5

I think that most guys dump like you said. Jayco is covering there hindparts in case you forget and it backs up into your rig..JMHO

bigredtruck

Keeping the tanks clean

My neighbour at our summer spot says that just before he travels, he pours ice and water (empties the cooler) into the black tank. The ice acts as a scrubber then melts away, leaving a nice clean tank. Sounds reasonable, so we're going to give it a try, but the softener sounds good too.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
My neighbour at our summer spot says that just before he travels, he pours ice and water (empties the cooler) into the black tank. The ice acts as a scrubber then melts away, leaving a nice clean tank. Sounds reasonable, so we're going to give it a try, but the softener sounds good too.

Here is a Link that explains the Geo Method ,rather long but interesting. We have used it for 4 years and would never go back to the rv chemicals...Kenny... www.rvecafe.com/bwater.html

azbound

Everyones thoughts please, I have also submitted this question to Ask the Factory and will share their answer when I get one.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
I still have not received a response from the factory, when I do I will share the information.

It has now been over 2 weeks since I submitted this question to the factory and still no response. I can't believe the question is that difficult.
When and if the Factory response I will share their answer.

Thanks for your patients

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
It has now been over 2 weeks since I submitted this question to the factory and still no response. I can't believe the question is that difficult.
When and if the Factory response I will share their answer.

Thanks for your patients

azbound, unless you have asked this as a separate post in the "ask the factory" section, this particular thread is not in that category. The factory representatives do not monitor all categories.