ATF: Mallard - Problem with outdoor kitchen circuit

We are having issues with the 110v power to our outdoor kitchen circuit on our 2015 Mallard M28. The outdoor kitchen 110v outlets, bathroom 110v outlets, and kitchen island 110v outlets are all on this circuit - I assume. The GFCI outlet is in our bathroom next to the sink and we cannot get this to reset to resume power to the outlets. Is this simply an issue of replacing the GFCI outlet or should I look at something else first? Also, would there be a way to get a wiring diagram for our Mallard?

Thank you!

danemayer

Hi bigjohnjeep,

Sounds like either the GFCI outlet is defective, or it's protecting you from a current leakage fault.

I'd start by pulling each outlet away from the wall to make sure it's dry. Of course you'll want to do this with power disconnected (even though the GFCI is tripped - better to be safe). Don't overlook any other exterior outlets. For example, trailers often have switched outlets for awning lights.

If all the outlets are dry, you might be able to determine which by disconnecting the outlet from the end of the circuit (presumably the outdoor kitchen), to see if the GFCI will then reset. If still no, then disconnect the outlet in the kitchen island and try again.

Or you could replace the GFCI outlet and if it immediately trips, you'll know there's a downstream problem.

Chopperno1

We are having issues with the 110v power to our outdoor kitchen circuit on our 2015 Mallard M28. The outdoor kitchen 110v outlets, bathroom 110v outlets, and kitchen island 110v outlets are all on this circuit - I assume. The GFCI outlet is in our bathroom next to the sink and we cannot get this to reset to resume power to the outlets. Is this simply an issue of replacing the GFCI outlet or should I look at something else first? Also, would there be a way to get a wiring diagram for our Mallard?

Thank you!

I will not be home to verify until tomorrow evening but I believe in my M32 there is 2 GFCI's. The one in the bathroom and one on left as I walk in my front door the little wall backside of sink.

I got a nice reply from Heartland showing the schematic for our unit and also detailing all our circuits. I'll start with replacing the GFCI in the bathroom and see if that is the issue. I'll post an update when I have it resolved. I appreciate all the replies and advice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually, after checking some things with my multi meter, the 110v power is not arriving to the GFCI outlet. The power is going through the 15 amp breaker, so that is not the problem. It looks like I'm down to finding a loose wire or something of the sort between the 15 amp breaker and the outlets in that circuit.

Also, I have a question about something odd I noticed while checking the breakers, etc. When I turn off the 15 amp breaker for this circuit my lights will dim a little and the cooling fan in the power converter goes off. Why would this be the case? This issue is not fun at all :(.

danemayer

I agree - when you shut off that breaker and the fan goes off and lights flicker, that's telling you you're turning off the breaker that supplies the Power Converter.

The Power Converter is usually on its own circuit breaker, so I have to ask why you think that breaker is the one feeding your GFCI.

I agree - when you shut off that breaker and the fan goes off and lights flicker, that's telling you you're turning off the breaker that supplies the Power Converter.

The Power Converter is usually on its own circuit breaker, so I have to ask why you think that breaker is the one feeding your GFCI.

It's not just that I think that circuit feeds the GFCI. The Heartland schematic and layout of the circuits I received from the factory due to this post says it does.

danemayer

It's not just that I think that circuit feeds the GFCI. The Heartland schematic and layout of the circuits I received from the factory due to this post says it does.

Let me just say that an engineer sitting in an office drew the schematic and layout. A manufacturing worker on the floor did the actual wiring. There's a fair distance between the two.

Heartland doesn't usually give out electrical drawings and some of us suspect it's because manufacturing may not always follow the drawings precisely.

I'd suggest you give some consideration to the possibility that you might be looking at the wrong circuit breaker.

It turns out the "C" breaker is the GFCI and not the "E" breaker. They are both 15 amp circuits. I went into each outlet box in the circuit checking the wiring and did find a couple with questionable connections. After doing this the circuit is now working. I had never seen the insides of the RV style outlets until this little experiment. The blade type connections are "interesting", and Heartland needs to change their electrical information to show the correct labels for the correct circuits. "C" and "E" need to be swapped, at least for my unit.