50 Amp Hughes Autoformer or not

Restofrank

I been using my Hughes Autoformer 30 Amp unit on all of all of the camping that we've done in the last past three years and I can say that the voltage boost light has came on a couple times where we've stayed. It looks like it does it job when needed.
My question is I am upgrading up to a new Bighorn that uses 50 Amp circuit, I'm wondering if they have a low voltage booster built into them or do I need to get a 50 Amp Hughes Autoformer to protect my trailer?

Thanks,
Frank

danemayer

I don't think you'll find a low voltage booster. You can either get a larger Autoformer, or an EMS that will protect the coach by shutting power down when voltage drops to an unsafe level.

Restofrank

I don't think you'll find a low voltage booster. You can either get a larger Autoformer, or an EMS that will protect the coach by shutting power down when voltage drops to an unsafe level.

Thanks, Dan
i that I would have to purchase a 50 Amp booster for my new trailer.

Frank

linuxkidd

I have both the Progressive Industries hard-wired 50 amp EMS, and a Hughes Autoformer.

They do completely different things:

* EMS -- Disconnects power from your coach in the event of many types of power anomalies.
* Autoformer -- Boosts low voltage up to a better range which helps your coach's devices operate more efficiently, and draw less amperage.
-- Devices will always attempt to draw the same amount of "power" (measured in watts) which is a product of ( Voltage * Current ).
-- When voltage goes lower, the current draw increases which leads to more heat and power loss due to heat, along with other inefficiencies.
-- The Autoformer boosts the Voltage up higher, so that the current draw can remain low (or closer to normal) while still powering your coaches devices.

I have mine installed in such a way that I can bypass it if needed ( only happened in St George -- the voltage was high to begin with, and the Autoformer always applies some small amount of boost ). I've also needed to move it from my coach to my car to charge the car and prevent it from tripping the breaker.

Here's a link to our blog post with more details.

Note that the Huges goes on the input from the city power, but I put the EMS on the output of the auto-transfer switch. It's unlikely your generator voltage would sag, thus no need for the Autoformer voltage boost there, but always nice to have more protection from all sources (thus the EMS).

** Edit -- I forgot to say.. I would definitely recommend BOTH. But if budget constraints dictate only one.. go for the EMS.

Hope this helps!
LK

mlpeloquin

I do not have an autoformer,but do have the Progressive. Last time out I wish we had a autoformer. Power cycled on and off continuously. Sometimes within a minuet or two for hours on end. The voltage on our power leg at the park was hovering around 105VAC. We were with a group of friends who were on a different power leg and we could not just leave. Since it was the balloon festival, the park was packed and we could not move to another space. We will be getting an autoformer and am very happy with the progressive. By the way we never drew more that 4 amps!

danemayer

Progressive PT50C @ $350
Hughes 50 amp Autoformer @ $514

Depending on where you camp, might be worth the extra money.

porthole

Retired
I've had an autoformer for years now and I couldn't tell you if it does something or not.
Aside from some lights that are outside there is no easy way to monitor the AF.

I'm pretty sure using my 50 on a 30 amp circuit that is being taxed has little benefit.
Running stuff in the trailer has the same results with or without the AF.