TPO vs DICOR?

OldSlowHans

CinC of Everything Else
Reading the manual for my (New to me) 2011 BC3510RL, I notice that they refer to the roof material as "TPO" --- is different from the "DICOR" roof of my previous rigs, and if so, do I use different maintenance products (cleaning and UV protection)?

danemayer

Hans,

Are you looking at the Heartland Owners Manual? I have a 2011 manual and it doesn't mention TPO or EPDM, but does have roof cleaning instructions that say to use a mild detergent.

OldSlowHans

CinC of Everything Else
Hans,

Are you looking at the Heartland Owners Manual? I have a 2011 manual and it doesn't mention TPO or EPDM, but does have roof cleaning instructions that say to use a mild detergent.

Actually, I misspoke --- the reference to TPO roof material is in a 2011 Big Country advertising brochure.

Googling TPO, it seems to be a different product than EDPM. I am concerned that cleaning and UV protection products used for DICOR might damage TPO.

That being said, "mild detergent" seems a remarkably poor anti-UV treatment!

avvidclif

Do a search for "
[h=2]DICOR rubber roof blistering[/h]
about 2 days back and read page 2 about the cleaner used.

OldSlowHans

CinC of Everything Else
Hans,

Here's a link to Dicor's guide on roof care. Page 6 discusses UV. With respect to UV protection, I notice their wording: "if you feel the need..." which to me suggests that they are happy to take your money, but it's not necessary.

Dan,

Many years ago I decided whether or not I wanted to add UV protection to my RV roof.

The decision was "Yes, HANS, I think you should!"

The purpose of this thread was to investigate

1) the type of material my roof is composed of, and

2) the proper product to provide protection.

Please try to stay on topic.