Axle Bearing dust covers

Hippie

Has anyone had their dust covers pop out? I had three pop out and roll around the chrome hub the covers the end of the axle. We went thru rain and the left front axle bearing went out. and the rear need to have the outer bearing to be replaced also. both axles bearings were on the left side. I only drive 55 and everyone was passing us and sprayed the wheels on the left side. I've asked several people here in Elkhart In. about what might cause this to happen. All bearings had were well grease, so the bearing didn't go bad because it didn't have enough grease.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I had that happen on my 2008 Lippert axles. As it turned out the plastic cover has a little lip that snaps in to hold it in place. The little lip was broken and would not hold it in place. I am waiting for a replacement now.
Peace
Dave

dewwood

Its possible if there is too much grease in the wheel bearings that it can push the caps off.

cjbearden

Visitor
Our former BH 3400 and the new Augusta had missing seal covers. That's how we discovered the BH had mismatched hubs, which Lippert replaced at the '07 Rally.

Word to the wise, new purchasers should check that seal covers are present and properly fitting.

God Bless and travel safe.

CJ

Hippie

It wasn't the little plastic covers over the chrome hub covers. It was the dust caps that cover the bearings. When we pulled the bearings there wasn't to much grease, in fact they had what should be in there. The outer bearings were the ones that went out. We ran thru a rain storm and when we took the two bad bearings out on the driver side there was dirt and water in them. People at Heart Land, Axle Inc and Al-Ko didn't have a clue why why they poped out. Sense we left Elkhart In. we haven't had any more problems. I check the bearing temps every time we stop and everyone of them are less than 110*. So far so good.