Air Bags....2 Questions

Oregon_Camper

Ok everyone...I just had my Firestone airbags installed and I have a very basic question...seems silly to even ask, but here goes....:cool:

1 - When hooking up....Do you fill your airbags before or after you connect to your 5th wheel?

2 - When disconnecting....Do you leave air in bags and unhook or lower pressure first, then unhook?

Mrsfish

Interested to hear the responses to this. Our answer: fill after hooking and empty before dropping

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

For me
I back under the kingpin right before it connects and bump my wireless controller to 55 psi then wait a few seconds and back the rest of the way in to latch the hitch.

The to disconnect I drop the lags down take the wait off the truck unlatch the release the king then bump the controller down to 5 psi and slowly pull away as it's dropping.
That's the same way I've been doing it in the big rigs for years.
That also give you more clearance between the top of the bed rails and the bottom of the RV

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

jnbhobe

I don't do anything till I hook up then I adjust them,when I get unhooked I let them down.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

alwaysbusy

I've done it both ways; but typically hook and then inflate. I guess one could argue the pump works harder to inflate the bags when the weight of the coach is on them. I have no reasoning other than my ordered way of hooking up to ensure I do it right.

mlpeloquin

Hook up then fill. I have the on board compressor with a remote bluetooth control. Unhitch then lower the presser to 10psi. Again I press another preset control button.

agpopp

I run mine at 60 psi when hauling the 5th wheel. I keep 15 lbs of air in the bags at all times, and hook up first. If I were to add the 60 lbs first, my truck would be too tall for the hitch process. I try to remember to dump the air before unhooking, again, because my truck rises with that much air in the bags. I don't think the compressor cares either way.

Az_Ernie

Normally we inflate before hooking up and deflate after unhooking. We don't have an onboard dedicated bag compressor, so putting air in the air bags and TV tires is just part of the pre-hookup routine. After unhooking, we deflate the air bags (10 psi) and adjust TV tire pressures.

Oregon_Camper

Normally we inflate before hooking up and deflate after unhooking. We don't have an onboard dedicated bag compressor, so putting air in the air bags and TV tires is just part of the pre-hookup routine. After unhooking, we deflate the air bags (10 psi) and adjust TV tire pressures.

What tire PSI do you run your TV loaded and unloaded

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired

We do the same. Pre-inflate the airlift bags to 28 psi and the flexAir bag to 52 PSI. Good to go.

pegmikef

I hook up and then adjust to 40 psi. I unhitch and adjust to 10 psi. My airlift system requires a minimum of 5 psi, but it is more comfortable at 10. I use 40 psi because that is the amount needed to keep the trailer level with my truck. This is a variable depending on your particular setup.

Az_Ernie

What tire PSI do you run your TV loaded and unloaded
We run 72 psi in the front and 80 psi in the rear when towing. When not towing, we run 65 psi in front and rear. Tires appear to be wearing evenly all around. We also try to rotate tires every 5-7K miles.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I have auto leveling air bags, so my answer would be mute. Works great. Hook up...lower 5er...compressor comes on and levels truck. Unhooking...as soon as the landing gear starts to lift the 5er....the air bleeds out of the bags. Works for me.

Lynn1130

I run what the door sticker says. 80 in the front and 65 in the rear. I never change it because my TV is used primarily for towing.
Are you sure that is correct? Mine calls for just the opposite. 65 front and 80 rear. Generally the back tires need to higher pressure for the additional load. I would think the front end would bounce all over the place.

jnbhobe

Are you sure that is correct? Mine calls for just the opposite. 65 front and 80 rear. Generally the back tires need to higher pressure for the additional load. I would think the front end would bounce all over the place.

Ford Dually's use 65psi in the rear and 75 to 80 in the fronts