Is it practical to tow a 3270 Big Horn with Gas Truck?

Awally33

I know, most will say Diesel but I have A Ford V-10 in my 20K lb Coach and it works great. Does anyone here tow with Gas Engine and pros and cons if so. Thanks Much

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Awally33 and welcome to this great forum. Lots of great information and friendly people will in to share that information.
Although the V-10 plays a part in towing limits you must know the GVWR of your particular truck as well as the weight off your trailer you intend to tow.
I do not have experience towing a big rig with a gasser but have heard that they tend to be a bit thirsty and develop the most torque at higher RPMs.
Here is a link that might help you decide the tow capacities of your truck. Fifth Wheel St.
Having said that, there are people that do tow with a gas motor.

Peace
Dave

pegmikef

I know, most will say Diesel but I have A Ford V-10 in my 20K lb Coach and it works great. Does anyone here tow with Gas Engine and pros and cons if so. Thanks Much

IMO diesel is more cost effective than a gasser because of the torque achieved at lower rpm. I picked up 2 to 3 mpg when I went from gas to diesel. A lot depends on how much you tow. I tow 8 - 10k miles a year so the savings add up, but if you only tow a couple of thousand miles a year then it probably doesn't make much difference.

farside291

If I towed less, I think an nice dually gasser would be less expensive overall. Total cost of the vehicle and Oil and fuel filter changes are much more expensive in a diesel than a gas. I don't believe the savings in mileage would offset the increase price of a diesel truck...that is if you don't tow a lot. They make some pretty powerful gas engines right now.

'Lil Guy'

I agree with Dave on this. I couldn't imagine getting 5 to 6 miles a gallon. Since your torque comes in in the high RPM range, that engine would scream on hills due to downshifting to low gears. Transmission and engine temps would rise and forget about stopping without the aid of a trailer brakes. I wouldn't want to try going downhill in mountainous areas either. Your brakes would heat up also, due to having to ride them some even being in a lower gear. Just my 2 cents. I'm new at this and I'm sure you could do it but I would want to get the right rig for this to give me every advantage I could have in an emergency situation. Good luck however you decide to go.

danemayer

I remember talking to the Ford salesman about getting a V-10 to tow the 16,000 lb Landmark we were going to order. His reply was 1) that V-10 will pass anything on the road, except a gas station, and 2) he wouldn't sell it to me for towing a 16,000 trailer because I would come to hate him.

GregP

Towing capacity aside; with a trailer the size of the Bighorn, I am SO happy to have the exhaust brake function for those long downhill grades. I had a small gas V8 with a much smaller trailer before and was getting about 4-6 miles per gallon towing. No comparison with the diesel. That said...initial cost and maintenance costs on the diesel are pretty high. I wouldn't have anything but the diesel for towing my rig, but when my towing days are done; so is the diesel.

happykraut

One thing that has not been mentioned in this thread is how much more fun it is pulling with a diesel. Of course some would not pay for the fun. Going through the mountains in CO this past fall with the cruise set on 65 it never slowed down. Going down big long hills I occasionally had to step on the gas pedal because the exhaust brake held it back too much. Don't believe you would have the same experience with a gasser. A friend of mine bought a V10 against my advice. He went to FL on vacation and left his rig at home because the gas cost was too high. He sold it.

mlpeloquin

If you do get a V10 Ford Dully, you must get disk brakes for you fifth wheel. You will need the stopping power for down hill. Actually even with a diesel or a diesel dully I recommend disk breaks on a fifth wheel. What a difference! Others that have put disk breaks on their fifth wheel will tell you the same thing, they will never tow a fifth wheel again without them. It is a safety issue.

arisce

Hi,
I tow with a 8.1 gas engine by GMC. No problem. My rig is a Bighorn 3270. Have owned the truck for 14 years. But the biggest asset to my truck is the Allison transmission. Will not buy another truck without it.
As they say 10 miles per gallon is costly. However if I had bought the diesel it would cost me more up front, maintenance and upkeep. It would take me 12 years to break even or to recoup the extra cost of diesels.
My truck is getting old. Ready to change in 2018. I have no clue what to buy because my GMC Sierra 3500 HD dually is longer made. Probably will have to buy diesel with Allison transmission. C'est la vie.

tjspencer

Wisconsin Chapter Leader
I tow with a Ford 6.2 engine and it does everything I ask of it even climbing the Hills. Yes the gas mileage is about 7 1/2 miles per gallon and on a good day 9 mpg but the trade-off is in the maintenance. I will agree that a Diesel is good and probably has greater pulling power but I also remember when it was over $4 a gallon and every time I was in for routine maintenance it was always a $200 bill. If you're a mechanic and you can do most of the work yourself on the diesel you might save some money but manufactures have made it difficult for many of us "Shadetree mechanics" to even do the simplest of maintenance. So go with what you think would be best for you and what you can afford in the long run.

bush

I had a 01 chevy drw with 8.1L and towed a small 5th 13000lb loaded and it done great. 7 mpg but it didn't have any trouble at all and with the Allison trans it stopped it no problem. Empty I got 10-11 mph. I mainly only used it for towing so it was no big deal. But I was wanting a crew cab (the 8.1 was ext) and wanted a diesel. Sold the 8.1 to my dad and got a 06 duramax drw crew and it tows better and got over 11mpg towing same trailer and can get 20+ empty. I went back and forth on the purchase price and the extra maintenance but the diesel has higher resale value. The power you can add for 500$ on a diesel if a + also. ( higher with the newer diesels)

IMO if your truck you have now is rated to tow the trailer hook it up and hit the road. You can always upgrade the truck later.

Also the 8.1 has a higher towing rating than my duramax because it's a lighter truck.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Our Prowler weighs just under 9900 pounds loaded and I pull it all over in the mountains of Colorado and New Mexico, Utah, Arizona and Nevada with a 6.0L gasser 2015 Chevy 2500HD with the 4.10 rear end.

It is a trailer hauling beast!

ProwlerMonarchPass-P1010480.jpg

I do sometimes wish I had an exhaust or engine brake, but really don't have any issues going down hill with it once you learn how to drive in the mountains.

browny

I have a GMC 2500 HD 6.0 4:10 also. Big Horn 3070 RL. We average about 7 - 9 Mpg. We have been through the Rocky's, like what has what has been said that once you are used to driving in Mountains, and hills the are no problems. The main thing is, are you in a hurry to get where you are going? That said, what is Vacationing all about? Getting there safe, blow out free, rest, and relaxation.

porthole

Retired
Hank (RIP) & Phyllis pulled a Bighorn all over the northeast, out to Goshen and as far south as Asheville, NC with a gasser. And they started out in the more mountainous area of PA.

Never heard him say anything negative about using the truck. And I never asked him why he went gas over diesel, he was just that satisfied with it.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Hank (RIP) & Phyllis pulled a Bighorn all over the northeast, out to Goshen and as far south as Asheville, NC with a gasser. And they started out in the more mountainous area of PA.

Never heard him say anything negative about using the truck. And I never asked him why he went gas over diesel, he was just that satisfied with it.

He was so pleased with his 03 gasser that he never even gave it a thought when he ordered his 14. Just ordered the max tow and the proper rear end. Away he went. Not an issue at all. Towed a Bighorn 3010RE

porthole

Retired
He was so pleased with his 03 gasser that he never even gave it a thought when he ordered his 14. Just ordered the max tow and the proper rear end. Away he went. Not an issue at all. Towed a Bighorn 3010RE

Well, he 'may' have had an issue or two, which is one of the reasons we all loved them so much :D