Ford DRW Tire Rotation Question

Chippendale

My 2015 F350 DRW has about 32,500 miles on it. I noticed my front tires are beginning to wear on the sides just slightly, and decided this would be a good time to rotate tires. Discount Tire rotated/crossed only the two front tires at 16,225 miles so I went back to them to find out about doing a complete rotation. They said they would move the two rear inside tires to the outside, the two outside rear tires up to the front and the front tires would become the inside rear tires. Of course to do this they will have to take the tires off the rims, remount and rebalance them. He told me that the charge would be $150.00 to do all that. I was fine with it because it should extend the life of the tires.

Since I am also going to take it into the Ford Dealer for an oil change, etc I asked them what they would do. They didn’t seem to know that the rear wheels on a dully are different than the front wheels, but they would do it for $49.95. The Ford manual recommends swapping the two front tires which I have already done, and the left two rear tires with the right two rear tires. The Ford manual says, “We do not recommend splitting up the dual rear wheels. Rotate them side to side as a set.” They don’t mention why they recommend this. If you purchase a new set of 6 tires, they are going to be split up, so what is the difference?

What do you guys who know more about and have had DRW trucks longer than I have do when you need to rotate tires?

Thanks,
George

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob.jr

Re: DRW Tire Rotation Question

After the tires wear in, they become a matched set.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Bones

Your rims should be of the same size front to rear. They dismount them because the inner wheels and the inside of the outer wheel catch all the grime and look bad. If you have steel rims with a beauty ring then you can keep the tires mounted and just put on the beauty ring. My tires were rotated front to inside. Outside to front and inside to outside and I had an alignment issue too. So that was fixed.

sengli

I dont plan on bothering to rotate the tires. Obviously the fronts are going to wear the fastest due to the turning and the weight.

MikeandDar

Well we have a 2015 F350 DRW King Ranch and are at about 11000 miles. I have noticed that my front tires appear to have a little chop starting. I did not put the air bags on until late last summer to level things out so I am thinking front tire wear may improve? idk time will tell. With pulling a Cyclone 4250 fully loaded the air bags were a huge improvement. Now as far as rotating the tires, when the time comes I will just swap outside duals with the fronts, this is all I ever do with my 2000 F350 and have never had a problem. Keep in mind I am no professional but this is what has worked for me. I almost forgot, I have just swapped the fronts but only when one seemed to wear more than the other.

Happy trails,
Mike

IronJ

The stock dually inner rears are steel. The outers are aluminum as are the fronts. On these newer ones they are all the same size...

That said on my stock set the fronts are wearing funny compared to the rears, but I only use them strictly to tow ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dykesj11

GMC Denali 3500 DRW. Just over 40,000 miles on first set. Inside rear tires are still, outside aluminum. Recommended rotation is swap sides - front stays front, rear outside stays outside, inside etc. BUT one GMC dealer didn't even know how to rotate. I have a slight outer edge wear on front and getting toe-in adjusted next service visit. Time for new front tires right after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chippendale

After reading these posts, I think the best thing to do is to follow the instructions in the Ford manual and rotate the rear tires as pairs, side to side and also the front tires back to their original positions. At some point, probably in another 30,000 miles or so, I will plan on purchasing new front tires and rotate the rear tires back to their original positions. When it's time to purchase a complete set of new tires, I will probably be so old that I will just sell it to one of the landscape crews in the neighborhood that are always asking me about it and putting the Landmark up on blocks. :D

Thanks for your opinions and suggestions.

GWRam

My selling dealer service department said they don't rotate dually tires. Looked at me like I was from another planet.
The dealer I let work on my truck took the front to inside rear and inside rear to front. For the first rotation. They did have to break down the tires since to front wheels are nice and the inside rear are steel.
Next time I think they said they were going to take front to outside rear and move those forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

porthole

Retired

My 2 cents and based on miles of towing and 20+ years in the auto field.

My Ford DRW, I rotate my front tires left to right when I think of it or if the tires look like they are wearing differently, which they do.
Rears - I think I only bothered once, but if I was to rotate I would do both tire sets left to right.

I would not waste my money on breaking down the tires and switching rims.
Ford DRW's use four different rims. Aluminum fronts, aluminum outer rear, steel inner rears and a universal spare steel rim.

I replaced my front tires at 48,300 miles
Rear and front at 77,900 miles
The rears at 78,000 miles are still good enough to go on the truck if and when I trade.

Useless information, did you know on the Fords that the left front tire can run 20-40 degrees hotter then the rest on high temp high load days?
Most of the air flowing through the multiple radiators exits the left front wheel well, right across the tire.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

On my 2009 GMC, all 7 wheels are steel and identical. Rotating them is musical chairs. The plastic "beauty rims" work on all of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbbls59

I don't rotate mine. The rears on mine wear faster than the front but I use it as a tow vehicle the majority of the time. Would have to dismount and re-balance to rotate and that doesn't make economic since.

hoefler

1st rotation; RR to front, front to RR
2nd rotation; LR to front, front to LR
3rd rotation; RR to front. front to RR
you get the idea

If I didn't rotate, wear on the outside shoulders on the front would cause for early replacement. These trucks are very heavy in the front, with a long wheel base, the front tires push in moderate to tight turns causing the outer edges to wear. With all of my duallies, this is my fourth one, tire pressure and rotation is the only way to get full life from our tires. When I replace my tires, the wear is with in 1/32 across the tire and with in all tires.

porthole

Retired

George, you should consider changing your thread title to Ford DRW rotation questions :cool:

Chippendale

George, you should consider changing your thread title to Ford DRW rotation questions :cool:

I made my decision as posted in #9 on page 1, so as far as I am concerned, this thread could be closed but I don't know how to do it. Not sure inserting the word "Ford" into the title would make a whole lot of difference because I don' t think everyone is aware of the Ford DRW wheel situation, but if you know how to insert "Ford F350" into the title, please do so.

Thanks,
George

hoefler

A dual wheel truck is a dual wheel truck regardless of manufacture. Ford is not the only one that uses 3 different wheels, my Ram has 3 different wheels as well, and GM probably does too.

porthole

Retired
A dual wheel truck is a dual wheel truck regardless of manufacture. Ford is not the only one that uses 3 different wheels, my Ram has 3 different wheels as well, and GM probably does too.

Aren't there options for wheels on the Ram and GM?

There are no options for the Ford DRW's,