New T32 Owner checking in

Swodi

After owning a Pioneer RG28 I swore I'd never own another Heartland, but this Torque is a world apart from the Pioneer. And, wow, it is HUGE! Anyway, glad to be aboard. Heading to the track this weekend for our first trip.

Swodi

Not much to see that you can't see on hundreds of listings on RVTrader. ;) It's bone stock for now, I haven't even mounted my strapless stands in the garage because I'm not sure exactly where I want to put the bikes.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Not much to see that you can't see on hundreds of listings on RVTrader. ;) It's bone stock for now, I haven't even mounted my strapless stands in the garage because I'm not sure exactly where I want to put the bikes.

How about the all-time favorite photo . . . the 'ol "just-left-the-dealership-with-our-new-trailer-and-had-to-stop-at-Wendy's" shot:

NewCamperTruck-P9110306.jpg

Or the infamous "just-rolled-up-to-the-house-for-the-first-time-with-our-new-trailer" photo:

NewProwler-P1000050.jpg

We love those shots, too!

Swodi

How about at the dealership, right before leaving? I need to do something about the sag. I have Timbrens on order. I figured for the price it's worth a try. If they don't work out I'll pick up some air bags.

975A9921-5632-446B-AAE2-93DA1D60AB01_zpsfwoc8sx9.jpg

rhodies1

How about at the dealership, right before leaving? I need to do something about the sag. I have Timbrens on order. I figured for the price it's worth a try. If they don't work out I'll pick up some air bags.

View attachment 50317

You should take a look at a system called Roadmaster Active Suspension,its manufactured in North
Carolina.It is an easy bolt on system that fits over your current OEM springs,no drilling,takes about 30 minutes to install and tension up.Anyone with a little mechanical ability can install.
This system does not affect your ride with no load on the truck but prevents sag when loaded.The beauty of this system is,you don't get the pounding of the suspension from your truck when not loaded,with this system compared to Timben system.I have had both system on trucks ,Roadmaster in a heartbeat.

MP_CS

View attachment 50317

I had timbrens on my old Ford and have no complaints, if my new Gmc sags alittle more than i like when i hitch up for the first time this year I'll buy them again.

JohnD

View attachment 50317

Is your truck a 2500 or 3500?

I don't think you need air bags on your truck . . . a weight distributing hitch setup should level you out.

I'm not familiar with the Timbren setup, but I had the DrawTite WD setup.

The key with any of the weight distributing hitch systems is having then setup right.

We have a store here in Denver that does nothing but hitches and related products and installation.

I had them install and setup that DrawTite stuff on two trailers and three trucks, then they taught me how to hitch it up the right way, and I never had problems and always had a level truck.

NewTruckTrailerLevel-IMG_20140918_130913251.jpg

I will be taking my truck in to them soon to have them check out my 5th-wheel hitch.

Apparently I've been towing our 5th-wheeler a little high in the front as that is the way our dealer installed it when we bought the Prowler.

ProwlerMeasure-P1020514.jpg

Plus, someone tried to steal the hitch out of the back of my truck a couple of days before Christmas and I want to make sure they didn't mess up something on it.

Swodi

Is your truck a 2500 or 3500?

I don't think you need air bags on your truck . . . a weight distributing hitch setup should level you out.

I'm not familiar with the Timbren setup, but I had the DrawTite WD setup.

The key with any of the weight distributing hitch systems is having then setup right.

Maybe that's the issue...not having my hitch set up right. I do have a WD hitch but I don't know exactly how to describe how it's set up. It has the sway bars, and the load bars have chains which hook to the trailer. I have it set up so that the fifth link in from the end of the chain goes on the hook attached to the trailer.

Can you use the bar to flip up the chain lift without jacking up the trailer tongue? If so, chances are you don't have enough tension.

Swodi

Oh no, I definitely need the bar. ;)

I added Timbrens today, and they helped some, but I think I will go to air bags.

We ran into some significant sway today using our Husky sway bars. Granted it was a bit windy, but I couldn't go much over 65 and even that got very sketchy. Anyone have any suggestions? Please?!

JohnD

I added Timbrens today, and they helped some, but I think I will go to air bags.

We ran into some significant sway today using our Husky sway bars. Granted it was a bit windy, but I couldn't go much over 65 and even that got very sketchy. Anyone have any suggestions? Please?!

Sounds to me like you don't need air bags, but need to get that WD hitch set up right.

If you have a trailer hitch shop nearby take your trailer and truck to them

By the by . . . good idea to keep the speed at 65 mph or less unless you want trailer tire blow outs.

What I meant was:
When you hitch up, do you drop the trailer on the hitch, relieve the tongue jack, and then use the bar to hoist the springbar chain?

I have never seen a WD hitch where I did not have to hitch the trailer up, then use the tongue jack to lift the trailer/truck a bit, then use the bar to lift the springbars. Seems like without lifting with the jack I am never able to get the proper tension.

MP_CS

What I meant was:
When you hitch up, do you drop the trailer on the hitch, relieve the tongue jack, and then use the bar to hoist the springbar chain?

I have never seen a WD hitch where I did not have to hitch the trailer up, then use the tongue jack to lift the trailer/truck a bit, then use the bar to lift the springbars. Seems like without lifting with the jack I am never able to get the proper tension.

Thats exactly how i did mine. Hitch up, lift rear of truck slightly with trailer tongue jack then tension torsion chains, lower trailer tongue back down. Worked great.

JohnD

What I meant was:

Thats exactly how i did mine. Hitch up, lift rear of truck slightly with trailer tongue jack then tension torsion chains, lower trailer tongue back down. Worked great.

The idea of the weight distributing hitch is to get the truck level . . .

If you are just dropping the hitch on the ball and hooking up the WD stuff then hitting the road, you are not distributing the weight to the frame of the truck.

I see so many TT's going down the road with a WD hitch installed, but clearly whoever installed them didn't instruct the user on how to hitch it up correctly.

As has been mentioned (do this with a full tank of gas), drop the hitch on the truck ball and lock, then raise the front of the trailer until the TRUCK is level, then give it a couple more cranks higher, then you hook up the torsion bars . . . then run the crank back into the trailer.

This is what distributes the weight to the frame of the truck.

When unhitching, don't forget to raise the front of the trailer to release the pressure or you could get hurt.

If you have your truck level but the trailer is riding high or low in the front, then you need to adjust the ball up or down accordingly so that when the WD is hitched up that both the truck and trailer are close to level.

Here are a couple of shots of my old DrawTite WD setup:

NewHitchCloseup-IMG_20140918_163520140.jpg NewTruckHitchInAZ.jpg

Footnote:

Used to always take me 20 minutes to get my TT's hitched up with the WD stuff, but hitching up the 5th-wheeler takes under two minutes!

No more screwing around with all of this stuff!

WDhitchsetup-P1000277.jpg

MP_CS

The idea of the weight distributing hitch is to get the truck level . . .

If you are just dropping the hitch on the ball and hooking up the WD stuff then hitting the road, you are not distributing the weight to the frame of the truck.

I see so many TT's going down the road with a WD hitch installed, but clearly whoever installed them didn't instruct the user on how to hitch it up correctly.

As has been mentioned (do this with a full tank of gas), drop the hitch on the truck ball and lock, then raise the front of the trailer until the TRUCK is level, then give it a couple more cranks higher, then you hook up the torsion bars . . . then run the crank back into the trailer.

This is what distributes the weight to the frame of the truck.

When unhitching, don't forget to raise the front of the trailer to release the pressure or you could get hurt.

If you have your truck level but the trailer is riding high or low in the front, then you need to adjust the ball up or down accordingly so that when the WD is hitched up that both the truck and trailer are close to level.

Here are a couple of shots of my old DrawTite WD setup:

View attachment 50340 View attachment 50341

Footnote:

Used to always take me 20 minutes to get my TT's hitched up with the WD stuff, but hitching up the 5th-wheeler takes under two minutes!

No more screwing around with all of this stuff
!

View attachment 50342
u

Thats why i switched (plus the huge bedroom). The only thing i miss about my TT is my truck bed, lol...