Dumb question -electric service

greatheron

MD Chapter Member
We have a new 2017 Big Country 3965dss and am concerned about using a "dog bone" 50 amp to 30 amp. We purchased a Surge Guard 50 amp surge protector. Can that be used with the "dog bone" 50 amp to 30 amp. We like State Parks, but rarely do they have more than 30 amp service. We would love to continue using and visiting our State Parks. I remember an electrical seminar at Goshen two years ago warning about running on low amperage and overheating the electrical wiring and ruining, or severely diminishing the rigs performance. Anyone's thoughts or experience?

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Do it all the time!! I wouldn't trust 30a anymore than 50a.
In fact for the next week we'll likely be on 30a by what I was told when we made reservations recently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gaffer

Surge Guard make several products. Hopefully the one you bought protects for more than just surges.

pegmikef

We have a new 2017 Big Country 3965dss and am concerned about using a "dog bone" 50 amp to 30 amp. We purchased a Surge Guard 50 amp surge protector. Can that be used with the "dog bone" 50 amp to 30 amp. We like State Parks, but rarely do they have more than 30 amp service. We would love to continue using and visiting our State Parks. I remember an electrical seminar at Goshen two years ago warning about running on low amperage and overheating the electrical wiring and ruining, or severely diminishing the rigs performance. Anyone's thoughts or experience?

I think it is low voltage that cause the damage. My progressive works on 20, 30, and 50 amp service as long as I plug it into the 50 amp dog bone, and the rig power into the progressive EMS

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
The top of the line EMS from Progressive will catch low and high voltage and cut off power to the rig.

Many of us have experienced low voltage in a busy park on a hot summer day.

Recently, we had ours tripping in our home rv park due to high voltage (over 132v). I contacted the park, and they checked around with a meter and could not find any issues. Next we had Oncor, the power supplier out to look, and he didn't find anything either. But, he said he would add a metering device to determine if it was in fact coming in too high from their lines. He said he had voltage regulators on the lines not too far from us.

After his visit, it hasn't tripped since, so I'm thinking he adjusted the regulators after visiting us.

Never plug in without it!!

Gaffer

The top of the line EMS from Progressive will catch low and high voltage and cut off power to the rig.

Many of us have experienced low voltage in a busy park on a hot summer day.

Recently, we had ours tripping in our home rv park due to high voltage (over 132v). I contacted the park, and they checked around with a meter and could not find any issues. Next we had Oncor, the power supplier out to look, and he didn't find anything either. But, he said he would add a metering device to determine if it was in fact coming in too high from their lines. He said he had voltage regulators on the lines not too far from us.

After his visit, it hasn't tripped since, so I'm thinking he adjusted the regulators after visiting us.

Never plug in without it!!

Surge Guard makes one that will protect from over and under voltage and other poere issues as well. Don't know if the OP has surge only. If so he should upgrade. Surge is not as important as under voltage, open neutral or open ground protection IMHO.