Filter & Softener system set up

Sniper

Wanting to put together a filter and softener system. Hoping you good folks could/would confirm that I'm tracking on the component setup: Regulator - Softener - sediment filter - carbon filter. Would that be the proper component sequence or am I planet hopping on this?

Thanks all. :)

Lynn1130

My house is set up with the filters before the softener to keep out the "junk" that can get into the workings of the softener.

Keep in mind that each one of those components will probably reduce water pressure and I have seen some camp grounds with 35/45 lbs of pressure so you might want to set up a bypass if you run into that situation.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have my sediment filter before the softener for the reason mentioned by Lynn1130.

Peace
Dave

Sniper

My house is set up with the filters before the softener to keep out the "junk" that can get into the workings of the softener.

Keep in mind that each one of those components will probably reduce water pressure and I have seen some camp grounds with 35/45 lbs of pressure so you might want to set up a bypass if you run into that situation.
So sediment filter - softener - carbon filter - regulator? I guess I should of added that the whole system will be external.

Lynn1130

Just me but I want the water going into the softener to be filtered. One drawback to that is that there is no chlorine (or very little) getting past the filter so you should chlorinate your softener every so often. Not a big job but you don't want stuff growing there. Softener manufacturers do recommend chlorinating even without filters.

My pre-filter is a taste/sediment so both are covered in one. Simple softeners don't need protection from sediment, in most cases, but if it has moving parts sand and other sediment can cause issues with the workings.

I think you are ok with that lineup but I would check to see what the recommended pressure is for the softener and determine if I wanted the regulator pre or post.

rxbristol

Adjustable regulator (set at 60)--1 micron sediment filter--water softener (this setup is for the whole house, then for drinking water...)--another sediment filter, .5 micron carbon filter, .2 micron membrane filter. The drinking water setup removes most lead, chemicals and bad organic creatures. I love our softener, but you have to be careful in the shower because it will make the floor slick.

mlpeloquin

Softener, Filter, Carbon filter, and then UV. The filters I purchased originally had instructions to do it this way. If you have a fixed carbon and sediment cartridge and an "ON-The-Go" type manually regenerating water softener, then it does not matter. On the other hand if you have a back flush carbon filter or an automatic regenerating water softener, then the water softener goes first. The water softener needs good water flow for regeneration. A well used cartridge may not allow enough water flow for proper regeneration.

RoadJunkie

Starve a cold, feed a fever. Or was that feed a cold, starve a fever?

I go with the softener last under the notion that blocking bad stuff will help prolong the period between softener regeneration. Wrong?

Lynn1130

blocking bad stuff will help prolong the period between softener regeneration.

I don't think so. The softener either goes by the amount of resin left ,by time or by gallons of water through the softener. Bad stuff makes no difference. But softener last keeps the chlorine, sand, and other crude out of your softener mechanism.

If water is filtered and then softened it really makes little sense to refilter it since it was already filtered unless you are trying to filter out salt or something, what is there to filter at that stage? I suppose there are some impurities in the salt but that is minimum and is only used to recharge the resin.

Mrsfish

I don't think so. The softener either goes by the amount of resin left ,by time or by gallons of water through the softener. Bad stuff makes no difference. But softener last keeps the chlorine, sand, and other crude out of your softener mechanism.

If water is filtered and then softened it really makes little sense to refilter it since it was already filtered unless you are trying to filter out salt or something, what is there to filter at that stage? I suppose there are some impurities in the salt but that is minimum and is only used to recharge the resin.

the last filter on the soft cell system is the charcoal filter. Probably done in this order for taste

Lynn1130

the last filter on the soft cell system is the charcoal filter. Probably done in this order for taste

Probably but I have to wonder what difference it make. My system suggests filtering for both prior to softening so that you are not running sand and the case of Arizona water, rocks, along with chlorine into your softener. I am not sure that it matters one way or another.

Sorry, got sidetracked and had to come back to this.

I have had 4 different water softeners in three different homes and have been told three or four different methods for hookup. This first softener kept malfunctioning and after about the third time the repair tech said that running sand and other "crap" through the softener shortens the life and jams the system. It made sense. If you listen to a softener go through the four or more phases there is a lot of opening, closing, and gear turning that goes on and most of those phases have water involved. So, it may make a difference or it may not but I have not had to have a repairman out since prefiltering.

Roller4tan

My filter/softener setup. The hoses run from the filter to the softener and back to the city input.
asset.php
asset.php

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

Regarding placement of a filter on a household softener system and my RV softener, pre-filter on our household softener is required because we have a well. It filters any solid contaminants from fouling the regeneration mechanisms not necessarily the reagents. Backwashing when regenerating cleans the media. None of those mechanisms exist on the RV unit. Pre-filter if you wish, I did not. I have always filtered with a household T&O filter. When I change that filter there is minimal sediment so whatever sediment I encounter now will be trapped in the softener media. My T&O filter is after the softener because of its mounting location that I didn't change. The occasional backwash should remove any solids which again have been minimal. Like many things, personal preferences rule.
X2 on the slippery shower now but that beats the other conditions of hard water !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

travelin2

I bought an "on the go" from CW. Short ownership as it's our first year as winter Texans. Water definitely hard here compared to the east coast.

Sniper

I bought an "on the go" from CW. Short ownership as it's our first year as winter Texans. Water definitely hard here compared to the east coast.

What's your opinion of it so far? Easy to maintain, regen and so forth? The simpler the better for my cluttered brain. LOL

travelin2

What's your opinion of it so far? Easy to maintain, regen and so forth? The simpler the better for my cluttered brain. LOL

Haven't had it long enough (only 2 weeks) or put enough water through it to answer that. Directions are simple enough so don't expect anything different. According to the test strips it's still supplying soft water. Others will have to add their 2 cents.
Definitely softens the water and removes the chalky water spots.

rxbristol

We've had ours for almost one year and it works great. Regen takes about 50 minutes for the double, which includes connections, putting in the salt and the follow-on fast flush. I also use a sewer flush connector when I regen so the water goes down the sewer instead on the ground. I love ours...makes a world of difference removing lime and the taste of the water.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I've owned the ON THE GO brand as well as the RV Water Treatment brand.
Both work well and the only reason I don't use the ON TH GO brand anymore is simply because I bought a larger size and it happened to be the RV Water Treatment brand.
The only thing I would recommend is that you get the larger size in whatever brand you choose, 16,000 grain.

Peace
Dave