Arrival and Departure Checklists

Wife and I are brand new to RVing and have purchased, but not yet taken delivery of, a 2017 Landmark Newport. What I am looking for are arrival and departure procedures/checklists so that we get it right when ariiving to/departing from a campsite. Don't think the once over done at the dealer is going to provide us the detail we need to get it right.

danemayer

Hi harleyhog1200,

I've attached a departure checklist that I've used. It's not going to be a perfect fit to your 2017, but it'll give you a place to start.

You might also want to take a look at our owner-written user guides, including a Landmark 365 User Guide. These guides fill in the blanks in many areas.

Attachments

• Departure Checklist.pdf
    56.2 KB · Views: 141

rxbristol

Dan has a nice checklist. I've divided mine out into four sections...Pre-departure (day before), day of departure, hitching/unhitching, and arrival. It makes it easier to identify what I'm doing, especially the hitch/unhitch.

mlburst1

Our departure checklist has evolved over the last seven years - it still gets tweaked occasionally.

Attachments

• Road Ready Checklist-Combo.pdf
    248.4 KB · Views: 86

porthole

Retired
Wife and I are brand new to RVing and have purchased, but not yet taken delivery of, a 2017 Landmark Newport. What I am looking for are arrival and departure procedures/checklists so that we get it right when ariiving to/departing from a campsite. Don't think the once over done at the dealer is going to provide us the detail we need to get it right.

Have an iPhone?

I have been using Secret Society software's " List! "

Easy to use, you can tap the items as you move along, keep multiple lists etc.

I use several lists:

Trailer leave home
Trailer break camp
Trailer Dover (stuff for the NSACAR race)

Along with multiple other lists that are handy.

Trailer leave home and break camp I use EVERY time.

CoveredWagon

Dan has a nice checklist. I've divided mine out into four sections...Pre-departure (day before), day of departure, hitching/unhitching, and arrival. It makes it easier to identify what I'm doing, especially the hitch/unhitch.

ok let's have it 😁

Thanks everyone for your responses, much appreciated! But what I am looking for is a specific detailed list for the Newport so that I can make sure I am getting it right until I get used to the procedures whereupon I can go to a more generic list. I have emailed Heartland asking for just such a step-by-step list that the complete novice can use to get it right. I would think something like this would be supplied with the purchase but I did not find it in my documents.

danemayer

Thanks everyone for your responses, much appreciated! But what I am looking for is a specific detailed list for the Newport so that I can make sure I am getting it right until I get used to the procedures whereupon I can go to a more generic list. I have emailed Heartland asking for just such a step-by-step list that the complete novice can use to get it right. I would think something like this would be supplied with the purchase but I did not find it in my documents.
I'm afraid you're not likely to get a detailed checklist specific to your Newport, unless is happens that someone else with the same model year Newport has made one.

The trailer manual that came with your Newport has some information that will help, but obviously it's organized by subject area, not as an arrival or departure checklist.

If you approach the matter slowly and deliberately, you won't have too much trouble creating a list that works for you.

SailorDon

Hi harleyhog1200,

I've attached a departure checklist that I've used. It's not going to be a perfect fit to your 2017, but it'll give you a place to start.

You might also want to take a look at our owner-written user guides, including a Landmark 365 User Guide. These guides fill in the blanks in many areas.

That is a great departure checklist. I am impressed by your check of hitch and trailer brakes by pulling with the trailer brakes applied.
I do that as part of my departure check routine, but got fooled once by not verifying the trailer electric brake gain setting.
I use trailer brake gain settings between 8.5 and 10 on my rig. Over 3 years of use, and the gain setting has remained at the setting from the previous trailer hitch-up.
A couple of months ago, I departed in light rain on wet roads and did my routine manual trailer brake check. Everything worked fine.
About 30 miles down the road, I encountered a traffic light at the bottom of a downhill grade. It just turned to yellow light. I tried to stop but the brake action caused my tow vehicle to activate the anti-skid braking and my trailer provided minimal stopping power. For reasons I don't know, when I hitched up my rig, the trailer brake gain had set to 3.5. End result is I skidded through the red light.
No damage except for the skid marks in my underwear.
Now I always check my trailer brake gain readout after checking the brake and hitch.
In my case I need 8.0 or higher.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
That is a great departure checklist. I am impressed by your check of hitch and trailer brakes by pulling with the trailer brakes applied.
I do that as part of my departure check routine, but got fooled once by not verifying the trailer electric brake gain setting.
I use trailer brake gain settings between 8.5 and 10 on my rig. Over 3 years of use, and the gain setting has remained at the setting from the previous trailer hitch-up.
A couple of months ago, I departed in light rain on wet roads and did my routine manual trailer brake check. Everything worked fine.
About 30 miles down the road, I encountered a traffic light at the bottom of a downhill grade. It just turned to yellow light. I tried to stop but the brake action caused my tow vehicle to activate the anti-skid braking and my trailer provided minimal stopping power. For reasons I don't know, when I hitched up my rig, the trailer brake gain had set to 3.5. End result is I skidded through the red light.
No damage except for the skid marks in my underwear.
Now I always check my trailer brake gain readout after checking the brake and hitch.
In my case I need 8.0 or higher.

Thanks for the "living proof" SailorDon. I don't think I've ever re-checked my trailer gain setting after hook-up, as I'm pulling out of the driveway/camping spot. I will now add that to my mental check list, to verify my gain has not changed once I start to roll for the day. Good suggestion.