Short Drawers?

davelinde

Anyone know why I have a 10" deep drawer in a 15" deep cabinet in the bedroom? The drawers are nice and wide and sturdy, but the short depth really limits usefulness for no apparent reason.

I'm considering rebuilding the drawer box to get the space back. Anyone else done this?

viking4545

I suspect their short to save weight, as for strong I have already had two drawer bottoms break out, one just had underwear and socks in it! I will be rebuilding all of my drawers and will probably make them deeper if possible.

seabee

I have looked at redoing mine,can't put much of anything in them and yes they have room behind them to extend the drawer,thinking of making the two bottom drawers into one deep drawer.
No reason to limit my underwear shocks or anything else.

nvtahoe

I understand what you are saying here. I had the large drawer in my 3210 kitchen below the stove break while I put pans in it at the dealership. Later had two more break on the trip home. I do not really think that the Heartland claim of "Amish Cabinitry" is working out.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I think the drawers are short like that to allow you to open them enough to get stuff out without having the bed block them. Ain't a lot of room between the dresser and the bed.

I'm afraid the skivies, sweatshirts, pants, etc are gonna wind up in totes and put into the closet. I don't have a lot of stuff clothes wise...but, it does frost my cookies to have so many drawers and not be able to put much in them. Wish the drawers were in the kitchen!:(

davelinde

I think the drawers are short like that to allow you to open them enough to get stuff out without having the bed block them. Ain't a lot of room between the dresser and the bed.

Looked again and yes... the drawers are as deep as the slides are long - making them "full extension". I think I'll be doing some carpentry to make them deeper and "partial extension" but "full use"!! It's on the list about number 6 or 7. I'll post pics when I get to it.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
When you do, let us know how it turned out. Sounds like something I'll do during the winter in west Texas.

Shadowchek

When we first got our fifth wheel There so many mods I wanted ,felt I needed to do that I was overwhelmed. I got through the first wave of them now the dealer is getting the second wave as I catch my breath. I may be up for some drawer mods in the future as I bought a $800.00 12" sliding compound miter saw last winter that hasn't seen much use it might be a good justification other than a write of lol. over all they are very nice units just need some tweeks. I guess we can't expect them to be like the stick house and still travel.

Greg

BobSue

There is a little lever on each side that you can barely see when you pull the drawer out all the way. Sometimes they are black, sometimes silver.

Push one side up, the other side down.

At that point the slide should be free to pull straight out.

Be careful when reinstalling. Line up each side correctly and carefull. then push the drawer in all the way. YOu should hear a click when fully engaged. Then you should be able to open the drawer, but it won't come all the way out in your hands. If it does, you did not install correctly. It is real easy to get one side in right but the other side in wrong. That will allow cattywonkus (is that a word?:eek:) operation of the drawer.

welbe13

Just replaced the draw boxes in the bedroom and the big one in the kitchen on my 3210. There is no reason they couldn't have been made full size in the first place. I will post some pics soon.