Getting our first fifth wheel, and wonder about the camera prep?

CDoggy

We have a new 2017 3560SS coming to go with our new F350 truck and I am trying to figure out the whole "camera at the back of the fifth wheel trailer" puzzle. It seems that the F350 has support to display the output from a backup camera that is attached to the back of the 3560, and it is my understanding that the 3560 comes with "camera prep".

Can anyone tell me what exactly I need to do to add a camera to the back of the 3560? Seems that between Ford and Heartland, it is clear as mud... :eek:(

danemayer

Hi CDoggy,

Congratulations on the new Big Country and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Lots of people have installed backup cameras so I'm sure you'll get some good feedback shortly.

uncledon

Her chauffeur
Welcome Cdoggy! Although I don't have a Heartland model that came with "camera prep" I can tell you what I have read from literature and other posters. The prep part means there is 12v power at a specific location at the rear of your unit, most likely top center. That's pretty much it from what I can deduce. Most cameras out now are wireless to either a monitor that comes with the camera, or to a receiver that most likely can be linked to your trucks monitor.

I installed a cabled system years ago when the wireless camera game was new and less reliable. Hopefully like Dan says someone who has some first hand knowledge will chime in soon.

'Lil Guy'

Congrats on your new rig and welcome to the forum and family. Our BH came with the prep for a Furrion B/U camera. The prep is specific for a certain model camera. The prep includes the plug and play wiring and the mount for the camera. When you buy the camera, you won't need the mount that comes with it. Just remove the cover plate (4 screws), plug in the connection and screw on the camera with the 4 screws. Your build sheet should tell you which mount you have. If it's Furrion, make sure to get the hi speed camera. Works great for passing and just knowing what's behind you on the road. Love ours. The camera is constantly on when the rig is powered up so if you want to be able to turn off the camera, you need to add a remote of some sort. Great info on forum about the ir remote install. Haven't added it yet to our rig but will in the future. BTW: Make sure to pair your camera to the monitor before you mount it. If not, you'll have to take it down to pair. Don't ask me how I know.lol

Best part of owning that new Heartland rig is you are now eligible to join the HOC and begin to attend some rallies. You'll then be able to put faces to the names of the people you meet here. If you like good food and lots of it, great, knowledgeable people who share your passion for the RV lifestyle, then the HOC is for you. Enjoy your new rig and hope to meet you down the road.