Actual Height??

Sam-Tafi

I am looking at the specs for our 2016 390 MBL and for height it lists 12.92 feet.

My question: Do you think this includes the added height of say the ladder, or the two AC units? Or, is that purely the height of the trailer itself?

I haven't measured (yet, the cover is still on!) but that AC unit looks like at least 12 more inches.

So, is my overall height 13 feet or 14 feet? Inquiring minds and all that...

Any help most appreciated.

Sam

danemayer

The height spec typically would include the height of the standard A/C unit in the living area. But on many rigs, the front A/C unit is optional and not included. And on many rigs, the front is the highest point on the rig. So if an optional full-profile A/C unit is added to the bedroom, it can stick up something like 6" higher than the spec.

It's also possible to have your truck configuration result in a nose-high trailer condition where the front is several inches higher than the spec.

But most importantly, you never want to drive through low clearance situations simply relying on the spec, or on what someone else told you. You need to get an actual measurement while hitched up and ready to tow.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
By adding a second AC to my Sundance 3100 CK it went from factory spec of 12'4" to 13'3"
I had it measured three times at the dealer in Elkhart just to be sure!

Sam-Tafi

Thanks all. I think Dan's advice to measure just before pulling out when all loaded up makes the most sense- that way it's accurate for me.

Last year we were taking a back road and came upon a low bridge, I think it was marked 13' 8" or some such. Would have been nice to have a few warning signs before coming up on the bridge. Too close for me, so I backed "Tiny" about an eighth of a mile with my wife acting as ground guide and sacrificial traffic lamb. Just another camping adventure.

The measuring when loaded and ready is sound advice- we got a different truck at the tail end of last season so that might change things up a bit as well.

Safe travels all. Spring is officially here next week! We're looking forward to getting out there.

Peace and all good-

Sam (n Tafi)

happykraut

I believe that I would prefer to take the measurement when the rig is not loaded to the max. When it is not filled to the max that would give me a higher measurement and that is what I'm looking for. Just my two cents worth.

Sam-Tafi

Bernie- I see what you are saying, but...If I measure when loaded, won't that be a more accurate number? I mean, we are talking inches probably- and if it's THAT close, I'm not going to chance it anyway. It could be one height depending on surface and if the camper is level, etc. and what kind of extension the landing pads are at and so on. If I'm on a level street surface and loaded- that seems like the most accurate measurement?

Like I said, for 99% of travels, it's not an issue. If semis travel a route safely, then we do too. It's just a good number to know and have in mind to cover that 1%.

Thanks again all.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I measured ours and it sits at 13' 3". That measurement was taken fully loaded with our gear and generators, full propane, 35 psi in the pick ups airbags, and 2 cases of beer. I am running airbags on my rig to tow level. I am guessing that raises us up about an inch but I did not measure the difference. We went under a bridge in AZ last year that said it was at 13' 6" and made it.

happykraut

Bernie- I see what you are saying, but...If I measure when loaded, won't that be a more accurate number? I mean, we are talking inches probably- and if it's THAT close, I'm not going to chance it anyway. It could be one height depending on surface and if the camper is level, etc. and what kind of extension the landing pads are at and so on. If I'm on a level street surface and loaded- that seems like the most accurate measurement?

Like I said, for 99% of travels, it's not an issue. If semis travel a route safely, then we do too. It's just a good number to know and have in mind to cover that 1%.

Thanks again all.
You're right about dealing with inches, but I still rather have the measurement closer to the max hight.

Domi

One thing that I have heard and witnessed is that they do not always chance the hight on the overpass once they put new pavement down. If I am only looking at an inch or 2 of clearance I persoanlly will be going another way.

There is also a low cleance database that you can purchase for your GPS. It will put in all bridges below a certain height and give you a warning miles in advance if you want it.

John