ATF: Cyclone - GFI Issues

ldnursetx

We have a 2015 Cyclone 4200 and the GFI in the main bathroom keeps popping when we turn on electrical items in the living room (i.e. the tv or satellite box). We have replaced the GFI plug and the issue continue. I can no longer use the outlets in the main area with running an extension cord to an exterior power outlet. Any ideas?

danemayer

I can no longer use the outlets in the main area with running an extension cord to an exterior power outlet.

Did you mean to say that to use the TV and other living room appliances, you have to run an extension cord to an outside outlet?

What outside outlet? An outlet on the trailer? An outlet on the power pedestal?

Are you certain the the GFCI is tripping? Or are you assuming that it is because the living room outlets don't work?

CDN

B and B
I would make sure my water heater is off. Sometimes when the element goes it causes other ground leakage issues. Disconnect all items, reset the GFCI. It it blows there might be a staple, abrasion or screw causing a Neutral( white wire) to ground (bare copper or green) short.

ldnursetx

Nothing at all. We don't really use the plugs in the garage at all but have discovered the front bedroom is on that GFI.

ldnursetx

Did you mean to say that to use the TV and other living room appliances, you have to run an extension cord to an outside outlet?

What outside outlet? An outlet on the trailer? An outlet on the power pedestal?

Are you certain the the GFCI is tripping? Or are you assuming that it is because the living room outlets don't work?

Yes, since this problem started with the GFI, if we want to watch tv,we have to plug the tv and satellite box into an extension cord and run it outside. I am certain it is tripping, I can hear it "pop" and when we look at it the reset is "popped out". We had an electrician change the GFI outlet and it is still doing the same thing

Last edited:

HornedToad

My tailgate buddy had the same problem with his 4200... he swapped out another GFI and messed with it over the course of two weekends to no avail.

A mobile tech finally isolated it to a loose ground in the circuit, I think it was on the breaker panel?

HornedToad

My tailgate buddy had the same problem with his 4200... he swapped out another GFI and messed with it over the course of two weekends to no avail.

A mobile tech finally isolated it to a loose ground in the circuit, I think it was on the breaker panel?

Talked with my friend... his GFI only tripped when he was out tailgating on generator power. The loose ground was in the electrical junction box were the generator is tied in up front in the cargo / battery storage.

If your GFI is tripping on shore power you could have a loose ground somewhere else along the circuit.

danemayer

I would start by inspecting the wiring at the outlets that trip the GFCI. The GFCI is designed to trip if the outgoing current on the hot wire is not all returned on the neutral wire. The ground at the outlet doesn't come into play unless there is a problem such as a short circuit in the appliance or fixture.

Make sure all the wires at each outlet have a good tight connection.

And of course, you'll want to shut off the power before checking.

Mattman

What happens when you plug it into the bathroom that has the GFCI?
If it works fine there your gfci is okay.
If it trips from the other the receptacles the problem is after your gfci. Loose wire or short in the wire the gfci is protecting.(But I doubt you have a short cause that never happens in a RV. Per some of my previous electrical conversations on here.) At this point figure out which receptacles it is protecting. Split the circuit in the middle and see if you still have the issue. Keep working from there. You should be able to narrow it down to a location.
Good luck

Mattman

I had a thought about this today if you haven't resolved your issue. Why is your gfci in the bathroom protecting your down stream devices. Where are they located? If it's your TV that is a dry location and pretty sure does not need gfci protection.

If they pulled a multi conductor cable to this device first. (Black, red, white, bare) then ran out the load side of the gfci device to protect the circuits down stream then your neutral will have an imbalance to the hot and trip.
Just curious if you resolved your issue.