Material used for exterior fasteners exposed to the elements

klp605

Anyone have problems with exterior fasteners rusting

We completed our PDI on our new 2017 M32 and are wondering when any type of fasteners are going to be exposed to the elements, what type are used (zinc, ss, black plated, black oxide, etc). We noticed that many of them had rust. The gentleman kept saying that it was just surface rust. Now that my husband and I have discussed this further we are curious what is used and what other owners may have experience with this. The 2015 TT that we are trading in, which has never been stored inside, doesn't have a single exterior fastener with rust on it.

Last edited:

klp605

Anyone have problems with exterior fasteners rusting

I received an email from Hearthland and the Mallard and North Trail use Zinc screws. No specification if they are coated with any type of rust protection. Before I dig deeper, has anyone else experienced issues with exterior fasteners rusting?

A couple examples are screws on the handle on the pass through storage (both sides) and the bolts that hold the grill mount on.

Chopperno1

Re: Anyone have problems with exterior fasteners rusting

I received an email from Hearthland and the Mallard and North Trail use Zinc screws. No specification if they are coated with any type of rust protection. Before I dig deeper, has anyone else experienced issues with exterior fasteners rusting?

A couple examples are screws on the handle on the pass through storage (both sides) and the bolts that hold the grill mount on.

I am having the same issues with my exteririor screws as well. I previously had a pop up with no rusting of any screws on the exterior.

klp605

Re: Anyone have problems with exterior fasteners rusting

:( I can understand needing to change out screws, bolts, etc years on down the road. Not when the unit is brand new and hasn't left the dealers lot. Always trying to be wishful..hoping that our unit was an isolated problem. However, if straight zinc products are being used for exterior application, the failure is expected. Rust stains should not be a concern on a brand new unit.

I am having the same issues with my exteririor screws as well. I previously had a pop up with no rusting of any screws on the exterior.

donr827

I would have them replace them. Might also remove one and make sure the rust is only on the surface.
Don

dlw930

Zinc plating, which is a process of electrolysis, applies a very thin zinc plate on fasteners. Most common screws, nails and bolts you get at the hardware store are zinc plated. Zinc plated fasteners will soon rust if used in an exterior or moist environment. Galvanizing is a physical process of dipping the fasteners in molten zinc, resulting in a thicker, more robust layer of zinc which will resist rust and corrosion for many years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
Stainless Steel fasteners are your best bet to beat the environment. I will be replacing the rusted screws on my TT with them this spring. Just a side note, we use SS fasteners on aircraft due to their anti-corrosive nature and they do not cause fretting (that black oily streak that comes from some fasteners is actually a chemical reaction between some metals and composites).