3055 pin box change out

I have found that my 2009 3055 pin box electrical connector box and frame support will hit my chevy 2500hd bed rails if i try a tight >75 degree turn. i would like to replace the pinbox with a 5th airborne or trailair shock mount pin box that is shorter. there are 2 sizes extended and standard. if i replace my extended lippert that came with the trailer with a medium length, are there any issues? thanks

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Before you try another pin box, have you tried adjusting the height of your hitch? We had to move our hitch up one notch when we bought our 07 GMC. The new bed style in 07 has higher rails than the old style. It might not work for you, but it could be worth a try. You just have to be careful not to raise the hitch so high that it messes up the trailer angle for towing.

We replaced our pin box with a Demco which works on a different principle than the air or shock pin boxes like Trail Air and 5th Airborn. It does a great job for us in handling the back and forth shocks you get from starting stopping and uneven road. The Trail Air and 5th Airborn work on the up and down motion. If you do a search for Demco and you can see a video of how it works.

Good Luck,
Kristy

PS I see you spend time in San Luis Obispo. I love it there and wish it weren't so far from us! It is beautiful and so close to some great places to visit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We have a Trail Air pin and Truxedo cover. Our pin box will sometimes hit the cover rails depending on the angle between the truck and trailer like on inclines and such. I raised the hitch one hole and it helped some. On the earlier frame support like mine I had to trim the back of the frame to help get clearance.

Attachments

• Copy of after2.JPG
    Copy of after2.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 74

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
We replaced our pin box with a Demco which works on a different principle than the air or shock pin boxes like Trail Air and 5th Airborn. It does a great job for us in handling the back and forth shocks you get from starting stopping and uneven road. The Trail Air and 5th Airborn work on the up and down motion. If you do a search for Demco and you can see a video of how it works.

When I went to this link, it was for a professional librarian supply company. Are you sure this is the correct link for the pin box?

Last edited by a moderator:

flamingknitter

I had them move the electrical box out of the way, farther up the pin box. I still have to be careful but the 6 inch gouge in the plastic topper on the rail is still there to remind me.

Marybeth

cdbMidland

Thanks, Jim. Much better now.

In my former life, I used to try to break systems, so when it's there, I try it.

Looks interesting.

darspets

pin box

Hi, we are new to this forum. We purchased a 2008 Big Horn 3670 RL and are towing it with a 08 Ford 350. Does anyone think it would be worth our while to purchase a 5th Airborne Pin Box for a smoother ride? Thanks for any help out there.

Cliff and Dar PA
2008 Big Horn 9886
2008 Ford 350 None

jimtoo

Hi darspets,
I can't speak for the 5th Airborne, but I can for the Trailair. It is a big difference and I would not pull a 5th wheel with out it now. I'm sure the 5th Airborne is good and maybe as good as the Trailair, I just do not know. But would recommend anything to help take the jar and jolt of the bumps.
JimM

cdbMidland

darspets, please do a search for the 5th Airborne. It was discussed in length a couple of months ago.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
When I went to this link, it was for a professional librarian supply company. Are you sure this is the correct link for the pin box?

Sorry Chuck,
I've had surgery in the last few days so I didn't see the problem I had created for you. Thanks Jim for fixing it for me.:D:D:D

bcaughey

You might be able to adjust the mounting on the pinbox also.

I had the same problem with the pinbox hitting the bed rails on my 2008 2500HD. he pin box is a Lippert 1621HD. The hitch in the truck was already in the top mount and I just touched the top 1/4" of the be rails on a turn. I talked with Lippert and they said I could lower my pinbox 1 mointing hole that gives me about 2" of clearance on the bed rails. Still not enough if the angles are bad but it lets me get a full 90 degree turn when putting the trailer into a tight spot.