LP tank replacement gauge

crussian

I want to replace the red/green indicator between my two tanks. They are 30lbs each. Has anyone done this? Where'd you buy your gauge? The 1st pic is the current gauge and the second is the side view showing hose to gauge. Thanks in advance.
C&J

20170318_093419.jpg20170318_093426.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

avvidclif

From my viewpoint the gauges that go inline are next to worthless. They measure pressure and it stays the same until almost empty. At least mine did.

crussian

From my viewpoint the gauges that go inline are next to worthless. They measure pressure and it stays the same until almost empty. At least mine did.

Okay, thanks. Hoping they were a little more accurate than the older "looking glass" type.

C&J

avvidclif

What you are wanting to replace is not a gauge but an auto switchover. When one tank runs empty it automatically switches to the other tank (as long as both tanks have the valves open).

Operating usage. Call the tanks 1 and 2. Open the valves on both the tanks. Point the arrow on the changeover valve to tank 1. When tank 1 runs out the valve automatically switches to tank 2 and the red flag pops up letting you know tank 1 is empty. Move the pointer to tank 2 and then remove tank 1 and have it filled. When you put it back open the valve slowly. When tank 2 runs out it will switch to tank 1 and again the red flag pops up.

Unless you need to use the heater a lot a 30 lb tank will last a long time.

Last edited:

Domi

I have gauges that I put on the output of each tank. They let me know how much is in each tank. I leave the switch you have in place so that when a tank runs dry it will automstically switch to the other tank.

I got the gauges at Home Depot I think. I know that ACE also sells them.

I can post a picture if you would like.

John

crussian

I have gauges that I put on the output of each tank. They let me know how much is in each tank. I leave the switch you have in place so that when a tank runs dry it will automstically switch to the other tank.

I got the gauges at Home Depot I think. I know that ACE also sells them.

I can post a picture if you would like.

John
Yes, please. A picture would be awesome.
Thanks mucho.

C&J

Roller4tan

1.jpg

Bogie

I use a Truma ultrasonic level checker. It will give you a very good reading of the liquid level of gas in the tank though it is a bit expensive. You can check it out here.

I see that Dometic makes a similar one that is quite a bit cheaper. See it on amazon here. I did read that the Dometic version does not work well below 35 °F.

I can't say if the Truma has problems at low temps because I have never used it in those conditions.

crussian

Check out the Tank Check product from http://mopeka.com we have it and love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No pricing that i saw. I did message them for that and nearest dealer from my AZ zip code. I dont have much top to bottom clearance, 30#'s have to go in slightly tilted. I did see the little plastic risers, just not sure of cleatance after those.

Thanks again.

C&J

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
No pricing that i saw. I did message them for that and nearest dealer from my AZ zip code. I dont have much top to bottom clearance, 30#'s have to go in slightly tilted. I did see the little plastic risers, just not sure of cleatance after those.

Thanks again.

C&J

If you google it I think there are a number of online sellers. I got mine from PPL.

The green feet are a little problematic. We added some wood shims under our tank, on two sides of the metal tray, instead. That way it raises the tank appropriately for the sensor, and doesn't complicate the installation process of the tanks.

Domi

Sorry for the delay, had to do a repair yesterday.

Attached is a picture of the gauges that I use, a lot like the one pictured earlier.

Most hardware stores sell them and I am sure they are available on Amazon.

John

Attachments

• 20170320_172534.jpg
    20170320_172534.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 45

avvidclif

This explains it fairly well and why I junked the pressure gauge.

Many folks have paid for a pressure gauge on their propane tanks in the mistaken belief that it tells you how much propane is left. Me too, I got one before I figured out that it is useless. How come? High school physics class to the rescue!

In the tank, the propane is mostly liquid. At the top of the tank, above the liquid propane, is gaseous propane. When you open the valve, some of the propane gas is released, and some of the liquid vaporizes to maintain what physicists call the vapor pressure – the pressure at which liquid and gaseous propane are in equilibrium. As long as there is some liquid propane in the tank, this pressure remains the same (although it does vary with temperature, being higher when the temperature is warmer). Whether 95% full or 5% full, the pressure is the same. Only when there is no more liquid propane in the tank will the pressure shown on your gauge drop. You can tell how much propane is left by weighing the tank, but that’s a bother. You can also tell by feeling the side of the tank when it is in use (when your grill is on). At some place the tank will be colder below, warmer above. That’s the level of the liquid propane. Bottom line? Keep an extra tank on hand.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
That's why the Mopeka Tank Check works great! It uses ultrasound to tell you a level. I do see it fluctuate due to temperature changes, but right now, sitting on the couch, I know I have one tank at 14% and the other at 100%. Pretty sure we'll have one empty tank soon.

macjj

Check out the Tank Check product from http://mopeka.com we have it and love it!

I agree with TravelTigher. Great product avail on Amazon. You can buy with an indicator to mount inside your rig and have the same features as the Motohome owners have. Even bought one for the house BBQ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro