SOLVED: Inverter is not running (tripped reset)

My converter is not running. I just plugged the unit in today and the display on the switch panel does not light up and no sound from the converter.
I do have power to the rest of the coach'
I did notice the battery cut off switches had been left on while unplugged from the 30 amp a/c supply.
Any help would be appreciated.

CE

danemayer

Re: Converter

I'm not familiar with a display in the switch panel for the Power Converter. By chance do you mean the indicator light for the Magnum Inverter the powers the residential refrigerator when not on shore power?
inverter remote switch crop.jpg

danemayer

First thing to check is whether the batteries have been run down.

You have a test button on the same display that shows holding tank levels. But if on shore power, you'll be getting 4 lights from the Power Converter. So to get the battery reading, you'll need to shut off the pedestal breaker, or the main 50 amp breakers on your circuit breaker panel.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

There is a a resetable breaker on the end of the invertor. Push in to reset...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Re: Inverter is not running

Reset the reset button on Inverter and everything works.
Should have known it was something simple.

LBR

Re: Inverter is not running

Reset the reset button on Inverter and everything works.
Should have known it was something simple.
Do be aware that even tho the green light on remote is "ON", it does not mean it is supplying power to the refrigerator if the inverter's GFI style breaker is tripped. The only time the remote light goes out (other than dead batteries, malfunction, main 12v switch is off, etc) is if you shut the inverter off, either by remote or on the end of inverter itself.

Bottomline...if that remote green light is lit, the frig could still be off if the inverter breaker has been tripped...Always open frig door to verify it has power if in question.

Houtex

I have the same issue...but a little different

On my inverter I get power out of the plug on the side, my a/c tester says there is power all the way up to the fridge and I can plug things into the inverter and they work. However neither the fridge or microwave will come on. Both plugs "test hot" but neither plug actually works. Won't even charge a cell phone. Batteries are fully charged.

But they both fire right up when I turn the genny on. I haven't been able to try shore power yet but I know they worked at the dealer.

Thoughts?

its an 18' cyclone 4005 that we picked up yesterday

danemayer

I have the same issue...but a little different

On my inverter I get power out of the plug on the side, my a/c tester says there is power all the way up to the fridge and I can plug things into the inverter and they work. However neither the fridge or microwave will come on. Both plugs "test hot" but neither plug actually works. Won't even charge a cell phone. Batteries are fully charged.

But they both fire right up when I turn the genny on. I haven't been able to try shore power yet but I know they worked at the dealer.

Thoughts?

its an 18' cyclone 4005 that we picked up yesterday

Hi Houtex,

Sounds like you're talking about the inverter that supplies power to the refrigerator when running on batteries.

If you plugged something into the outlet on the inverter, and it works, that indicates that the inverter is doing its job. Its output goes to a transfer switch which also gets power from your 120V breaker.

Since the refrigerator works when on generator, that would argue that one side of the transfer switch works.

If you have a digital meter reading of 120V AC at the refrigerator outlet when running on batteries, but there's not enough power to actually run any type of device, that might suggest a bad contact inside the transfer switch that the inverter feeds.

Although it's not very likely, just for completeness, you might look at the connections inside the junction box that the output of the transfer switch goes to. For safety, cut off shore power and unplug the transfer switch from the inverter before opening the box.

Btw, I'm talking about a small transfer switch that supplies power to the refrigerator, not the larger one that handles shore power and generator power.

Houtex

It just keeps getting better...now the generator with .5 hours on it gives me a 12 code for over voltage. Trips one gen breaker then dies. Won't stay running...and now the inverter won't even power on.

- - - Updated - - -

The fusible link going from battery to inverter is bad. No reading on the output side. I'll replace that fist and see what happens. I know it'll turn on the inverter so I'll go from there and see what I can find

danemayer

It just keeps getting better...now the generator with .5 hours on it gives me a 12 code for over voltage. Trips one gen breaker then dies. Won't stay running...and now the inverter won't even power on.
Turn off all the circuit breakers in the main panel. Start the generator. After it stabilizes, turn on the dual 50 amp breakers. Wait to make sure the generator keeps running. Then slowly turn on one breaker at a time to see whether one of them causes the generator to shut down.

If you have auto-leveling, cycle the mode to see what DC voltage you're getting from the batteries. If not on shore/generator power, you should see around 12.6V DC from fully charged batteries. If below 12V, that may be why the inverter won't start. I know you said the batteries were fully charged, but a voltage reading might be instructive.

Houtex

Immediately when I flipped the fridge breaker the gen dies. Works like a charm but that kills it instantly. Shuts down and flips the breaker on the gen.

- - - Updated - - -

Keep in mind the inverter doesn't even power on at the moment. Could the fact that it won't come on cause this sort of reaction?

danemayer

Immediately when I flipped the fridge breaker the gen dies. Works like a charm but that kills it instantly. Shuts down and flips the breaker on the gen.

- - - Updated - - -

Keep in mind the inverter doesn't even power on at the moment. Could the fact that it won't come on cause this sort of reaction?
I don't think the inverter is causing the generator to die. Since the refrigerator is common to both symptoms, it seems more likely there's something wrong at the little transfer switch or in the wiring from there to the refrigerator.

Unplug the transfer switch from the inverter and see if the inverter will reset. There's a little reset button on one end of it. I think it has to have battery power and be turned on in order for the GFCI to reset.

Also, there's probably a junction box near the inverter and transfer switch. You could have a problem there. I'd cut power from both shore/generator and unplug the transfer switch from the inverter before opening it.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

You could also try using an extension cord from the fridge straight to the inverter or to the Gen or even to a different plug in the RV when on shore or gen power to tell weather or not it's the fridge or something else.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk