ATF: Road Warrior - installing slide toppers

joembx

hello ,
i want to install slide toppers,was wondering if you have any brand recommendations, also when installing i want to make sure im screwing to something solid
(frame member ) also that i dont hit any wires or something in wall ,this is sak the factory, does that mean a factory rep of some kind is monitoring and will answer to posts here,thank you

Last edited:

joembx

ATF: Road Warrior - factory rep

can anyone tell me if this is ask the factory ,why a question i have asked is getting no response thanks

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The short answer to one of your questions is no, a factory rep does not sit and monitor this forum.
From time to time someone from the factory will chime in but not on a regular basis.
Most questions about our rigs are answered by fellow owners.

Your question about slide toppers may be answered by those that have installed them.
I doubt there is a any electrical that high up on the side of the coach to worry about.
As far as something solid to screw into you can do what many have done and that is to wait for a dewy morning and look at the sidewall. You will not see any dew where the wall studs are. You can mark those areas with a pencil.
But by using the butyl rope caulk and a bazillion screws you will have a secure attachment.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Hi joembx,

There are a number of reasons you may not have gotten an answer.

First, it's not like there's an ombudsman reading every one of these posts and chasing down definitive answers. The people who have visibility to these posts are often on the road and may be working a 12-14 hour day at an RV show. So even if they see the post, they may not be in a position to respond. But many of the posts do get read and provide useful information to the General Managers on things that we may view as desirable changes, or issues that need to be corrected.

Providing advice on how to modify a trailer is something that Heartland almost never does. For one thing, as frequently as changes are made to the products, sometimes it's just not possible to answer accurately without examining the trailer. Can you imagine if there was miscommunication and in acting on the response you caused damage to your trailer? You'd be pretty unhappy.

Heartland uses a dealer network where the dealer has primary responsibility for helping you with things like adding slide toppers. If you can't or don't want to use your dealer, often it's possible to find online instructional videos that show how.

And of course, we've got a lot of owners on the forum who may have done exactly what you're thinking about and are willing to share what they know.

The slide toppers we have were a factory-installed option and I believe they are Dometic.