Converter is humming

busted2341

We are parked at a campground and plugged in. For the forst time in a couple months, my batteries show 14.2 volts instead of 13.1 and my converter (I think that's the humm I hear) is humming pretty loud. I am getting 118 volts at the plugs in the tailer, and 123 volts at the box. I just don't want to burn up or blow up! I have heard it humm before but I never noticed it this loud. As for the voltage on the batteries, I just checked those at the 6 point, going through the menu. I used to get that but haven't the last couple months.

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Re: Humming

Take a voltage reading between neutral and ground on your outlets where you're seeing 118V vs 123V at the pedestal. The nominal value between neutral and ground should be 0.0V, but you may see 0.1 or 0.2V without too much concern. If you read 5.0V, you need to investigate further as it may indicate a partial loss of neutral back to the pedestal, which can cause damage and odd effects.

grounded outlet.jpg

dave10a

What brand and model number is your converter? Humming depending on audio level and 14.2 vdc could be normal if the batteries need charging.

busted2341

Since this has 4 batteries I wonder If I have a bad battery???? I think that could cause it too correct. I think my voltage is ok at the pedestal but I have had Battery problems along with the 50 amp breaker in the front storage.....

busted2341

What brand and model number is your converter? Humming depending on audio level and 14.2 vdc could be normal if the batteries need charging.

Have no idea of the brand of model number but I hope I am ok until the morning when I can get into everything.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

My convertor has been humming for almost 2 years now.
Haven't had any problems and sitting at 14v when plugged in.
It has always been like that.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

busted2341

After speaking with heartland and doing some diagnostics with them, I found the Fan is not working. So it's overheating I would assume. Getting it replaced...

busted2341

Hopefully I get it by Monday so I can install and leave the RV Park on time to our next destination. Anyway, would it help to mount another little fan in front of the fan on the converter? I have a little fan that would plug in to the outlet, screw it down in fron of the converter fan and just let it run. Helps or hurts?

dave10a

Humming is normal for units that have transformers. It caused by eddy current in the iron core. Transformers use laminated cores to reduce the eddy currents and therefore humming noise. The thinner the laminated core material reduces the eddy current (higher priced transformers use thin lamination) and therefore the hum. Also if the laminations are loose the louder the noise and load will also increases the hum.

mlpeloquin

On this last trip, which I just got back from, found out that my converter was over voltage. My fridge was 50 degrees, but the freezer was around 18F. The some of my replacement LED lights started to go/desolder! I measured the 12V output at the converter output. It was 16.79V. I called Progressive and they verified it was a problem with the converter. By the way, 14.3V boost is a normal output and it can be as high as 14.7V, but no higher. I purchased a new converter on the road at Camping World. A bit pricey, but they had one. I am sending the old one back to be repaired. I don't mind having a spare. Progressive told me this fault is caused 95% of the time by water. My basement is dry and has always been so it will be interesting to see if they will tell me why it failed.

busted2341

Well after all that I replaced the converter and I think that is ok. The humming has not stopped so further inspection with ears and more quietness determined the "Surge Guard RV Power Protection Transfer switch" is what the humming is. This from what I can see has 120 x2 coming in from the Generator (which I don't have) and the shore power. One line out to the Power control center from what I tell. I just have never heard that loud humming before. That is one I do not want to tackle. I am 2 mtnhs from warranty so I guess I'll have a RV Tech come out at our next stop in a day or two. Any Ideas? All electric seems to be working fine so far.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Mine hum too. I had Heartland send me a new one and it's a little better but still humming. I did go in and tighten all of the jam screws on the wires. Still humming. And I have 2 of them under there.
There's not much to it and nothing is hot if your not plugged in to shore power.

e837dfd9923ceae54682cb3dfb274e92.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

busted2341

Thank you for all the replies. I knew I would find the answer here. I now have a working converter, fan spinning proudly and I discovfed the humming was in the RV Surge Guard. After opening it up with advice of you guys, I found the positive lug loose. Tightened it and wow, humming gone. Thanx dave10a.