Rolled the Dice on Portable Washing Machine

SilverRhino

In preparation for our multi month trip, we decided to purchase a washing machine for the trailer. We met a couple in Abilene that were full time RVers and they were using one ..... so we thought we would role the dice and give one a try. These are what people living in many areas of Japan & China use, as well as students in dorms.
It is a washer and spin dryer ...... 24" tall x 26" wide x 14" deep and only weighs 25 pounds. At this size and weight it will easily store for travel. It will wash 3 pairs of jeans in one load using about 2 gallons of water & a teaspoon of detergent. It will spin one pair at a time and they come out of the spin very comparable to how they come out of our home machine. Of course they need to be hung out to dry completely. We have figured that our $100 investment will have paid for itself on this one trip
1f920.png
🤠
. The cost of doing laundry in an RV Park adds up quickly, very quickly, and laundromats aren't much cheaper and it is getting harder to find them
1f60f.png
😏

I made an adapter so we can just disconnect the wand on our shower sprayer, hook it up to the machine and set the whole works in the shower to use it. It takes 9 to 15 minutes for the wash cycle and 5 minutes on the spin cycle.

Attachments

• IMG_0879.jpg
    IMG_0879.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0880.jpg
    IMG_0880.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0881.jpg
    IMG_0881.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 93

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
In preparation for our multi month trip, we decided to purchase a washing machine for the trailer. We met a couple in Abilene that were full time RVers and they were using one ..... so we thought we would role the dice and give one a try. These are what people living in many areas of Japan & China use, as well as students in dorms.
It is a washer and spin dryer ...... 24" tall x 26" wide x 14" deep and only weighs 25 pounds. At this size and weight it will easily store for travel. It will wash 3 pairs of jeans in one load using about 2 gallons of water & a teaspoon of detergent. It will spin one pair at a time and they come out of the spin very comparable to how they come out of our home machine. Of course they need to be hung out to dry completely. We have figured that our $100 investment will have paid for itself on this one trip
1f920.png
🤠
. The cost of doing laundry in an RV Park adds up quickly, very quickly, and laundromats aren't much cheaper and it is getting harder to find them
1f60f.png

I made an adapter so we can just disconnect the wand on our shower sprayer, hook it up to the machine and set the whole works in the shower to use it. It takes 9 to 15 minutes for the wash cycle and 5 minutes on the spin cycle.

Very cool! I looked into those before deciding to go with a traditional rv combo washer/dryer.

Let us know how it works out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SilverRhino

It is a Best Choice Products Portable Compact Mini Twin Tub machine that can be found on Amazon. At the top of the machine there are two plastic nipples that you can attach a hose to. There is one on the wash tub and one on the spin tub.

I tried 1/2" id hose and it was too small....5/8" id fit, but not very tight. Going out into the garage I found a piece of plastic drip irrigation pipe that is a "tight" 5/8" id and it worked very well. This tubing can be found at any big box store in the plumbing section.

I then purchased a 90 degree hose fitting that was 5/8" hose barb X 1/2" MIP. It took a little pressure, but the hose barb end did fit the tubing. The 1/2" MIP allows you to hook up to the shower wand hose, after removing the shower wand itself. I cut the tubing at about 3" to keep it from wanting to fold over on itself.

Attachments

• adapter.jpg
    adapter.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 38