Trailer Weight

pholt

I have a 2005 Dodge 2500 Auto 4x4 with the cummins 600. It has a EDGE Attitude and Juice box, HD aftermarket rims rated at 3500lbs a piece 10 ply tires and so on. I have 4:10's & a 4x4. I have a camper now weighing 10k, and I can pull it 80 mph up any hill if you choose. I am buying a new Razor 3612. I was told by my "hitch" guys my 05 Ram was one of the highest grossing 2500's made and it was rated at 13200. I just sold my other 05 3500, and I can tell you they were the same, as far as
Both had a Dana 80.
Both had 4:10's
and the spring packs WERE identical. Of course you always have more stability with the wider dual axle. He also said, you must realize that Dodge does not give 5th wheel weights, this truck is rated at 13200 at the bumper. From there experience, I should not exceed 14,900 on the 5th.

I know this is going to be a load for this truck, according to the weights I am under the max, since the 05 is set at 13600 in 2x4 form and 13200 in 4x4. I was also told the 4x4 can actually carry more weight, but they have to subtract the weight of the 4x4 components to the GVWR. I love my truck is is not a daily driver, but I also dont want to kill it with 75 on the clock.

SIDENOTE:
I went to buy a used F450 (07), I put my 24' HD trailer and tractor behind it, to give it a test. My 24' trailer weighs 3500lbs, my tractor weighs 7800 lbs, and if you lined my Dodge up next to that F450, my Dodge would run off and HIDE from that Ford. I am and have always been a Ford Fan, but the engine they are using is not on par with the Cummins 600, it just is not. I realize the F450 has a bigger chassis, breaks and springs, but the motor was on the weak end for me???? I was actually VERY dissapointed. There was NO way that F450 could pull as much weight as that Cummins 600.

Background on me. I grew up on a farm, I have pulled 29,000 with a 93 190 h.p Dodge before, on a Gooseneck. I know it can pull it and you have to be carefull. But that was not at highway speeds.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I found about the same thing with my 2006 F250. It has the same parts as the F350 except an extra overload spring. Here is the URL on the towing guide.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/2006/2006_default.asp

F250TowingSpecs.jpg

I can pull my Bighorn 3400RE, GVWR 14,000 but I can tell it is back there on a steep grade. I also know it is back there going down a steep grade. But if I had the F350 SRW it would be the same. DRW would give me more rubber on the road but only 100 pounds more. 15,600#

Check the with Dodge and see what they say. The weight they show will most likely be lower than what you can actually tow for a safety margin in their favor. Like you I use to haul hay with my '66 F250, 352Cu. 4 spd (granny), Heavy duty rear end. Now that was really overloaded. This one is not.

wshamby01

PHOLT,
You will have a pretty good load and you will know it. As for running 80 up any hill you will not do it for long if you are not careful. I have an 03 Dodge 3500 with a 6 speed with lots of extras on the motor and it has plenty of power but when you pull that long and hard you had better have the Attitude set for EGT limiting or you will have a melted piston eventually. Anything over 1400-1450 pre turbo for an extended period and you are pushing your luck. As for the rear end on an 05 you have an American Axle not a Dana. It sounds like you have the 11.5 inch rear end which is plenty strong. Your weak link is definitely your tranny. Please get a tranny temp gauge if you don't already. Over heating the auto is the #1 killer when towing. When adding the extra power and weight that tranny is going to be crying on ling hard hills. I have towed many loads up to 30k gross it will handle it. Is it safe probably not 100%. Please do not take offense to this post I just don't want you to melt your truck out in the middle of know where. That Cummins is on of the strongest motors out there but every motor has a melting point.

pholt

Hum

I promise you, and I actually just looked my 05 Dodge has a Dana 80, in the back. It is stamped on the tag??? Yes my Edge is set at 1200 deg to start de-fueling. I know this is going to be a load. Just take it easy and slow down. We will see tomorrow. My 02 Had a Dana 70? Now my truck is a 04, but it was a late 04 actually 04.5 and it has the Cummins 600 not all the 04's did. So that might be why???

My buddy is a Truck equipment guy and he has what they call Body Builders books from the factory, and the maximum tow rating on a 5th wheel or a gooseneck properly equipped, it 17500 lbs. They are a body builder and they can legally change the GVWR of any truck. He said it will handle it. Just a load that is all. Yes I would love to send my transmission to blumenthal and have it built up. I guess when it melt I will.

Thanks.

PHOLT,
You will have a pretty good load and you will know it. As for running 80 up any hill you will not do it for long if you are not careful. I have an 03 Dodge 3500 with a 6 speed with lots of extras on the motor and it has plenty of power but when you pull that long and hard you had better have the Attitude set for EGT limiting or you will have a melted piston eventually. Anything over 1400-1450 pre turbo for an extended period and you are pushing your luck. As for the rear end on an 05 you have an American Axle not a Dana. It sounds like you have the 11.5 inch rear end which is plenty strong. Your weak link is definitely your tranny. Please get a tranny temp gauge if you don't already. Over heating the auto is the #1 killer when towing. When adding the extra power and weight that tranny is going to be crying on ling hard hills. I have towed many loads up to 30k gross it will handle it. Is it safe probably not 100%. Please do not take offense to this post I just don't want you to melt your truck out in the middle of know where. That Cummins is on of the strongest motors out there but every motor has a melting point.

davelinde

PHOLT,
You will have a pretty good load and you will know it.... Your weak link is definitely your tranny. Please get a tranny temp gauge if you don't already. Over heating the auto is the #1 killer when towing. When adding the extra power and weight that tranny is going to be crying on ling hard hills.

I'm in much the same boat. I have a trans temp gauge and after I picked up our 3210 I started to see trans temp spikes. I believe it's not just the weight, but the height. My 2004 is still running stock 305HP and the 3210 was 12,660# as picked up and likely closing in on 14,000# now. The truck has the power to pull it but a grade will cause the temps to climb from 215 to 235 and more if I don't back off. I can tow at 65, but unless I drop it to 55 the temps will climb over 235 on the flats.

BTW - where did you get the wheels? If I can solve my trans temp issues I'll be upgrading my wheels/tires too. I'm running 6000# on the rear axle under tires rated for 6380# and I'd like more margin.

BTW2 - I was also towing 10,000# in OD up hills and down at any speed I liked, with no issues. (now I'm in Tow/Haul all the time)

wshamby01

pholt,
Sounds like you have your motor covered. Keep and eye on that tranny and keep your brakes maintained and give her heck. A lot of people will disagree with me but I tend to go against the grain when it comes to towing and weights. You might check each states laws that you will visit because some may differ and you could get in a bind if stopped.

Last edited: