M32 & Mallard general satisfaction?

G54FL

Hi all - we're knee deep in TT research. Looking at 32' bunkhouses/outdoor kitchen models. Most are about 7800 dry - which is pushing my comfort zone on towing with my truck. My tow vehicle is a 2016 F-150 Ecoboost with Max Tow package. So the Mallard keeps coming up, because it has (almost) everything we want...yet at about 6900 dry. I just realized it does not have a pantry to the right of the fridge - and wondering if anyone is finding that to be an issue. My other complaints are the lack of dinette pull-out drawers (since it already seems short on storage), and the fact that the bunkhouse has no door- which I guess I can live with. Wondering if anyone has any comments on these items, or in general, what your experience is with the Mallard from a quality/workmanship standpoint, anything you've realized since you've owned it, etc. I was also looking at Jayco - very nice, heavier. Thanks for any feedback

Last edited:

Chopperno1

Re: M32 & Mallard general satisfaction?

Hi all - we're knee deep in TT research. Looking at 32' bunkhouses/outdoor kitchen models. Most are about 7800 dry - which is pushing my comfort zone on towing with my truck. My tow vehicle is a 2016 F-150 Ecoboost with Max Tow package. So the Mallard keeps coming up, because it has (almost) everything we want...yet at about 6900 dry. I just realized it does not have a pantry to the right of the fridge - and wondering if anyone is finding that to be an issue. My other complaints are the lack of dinette pull-out drawers (since it already seems short on storage), and the fact that the bunkhouse has no door- which I guess I can live with. Wondering if anyone has any comments on these items, or in general, what your experience is with the Mallard from a quality/workmanship standpoint, anything you've realized since you've owned it, etc. I was also looking at Jayco - very nice, heavier. Thanks for any feedback

We we have been satisfied with our m32. The pantry being opposite side of the fridge has not been an issue for us. It would be nice to have easier access to the storage under the dinette seating. My only issue with the bunkhouse area is the heat vent in ours only pushes out cold air no matter how long the heater runs.

As as far as your tow vehicle is concerned make sure you double check all it ratings and consider the area you live and places you plan to go (flat land, local, long trips, mountains). I have recently seen more and more people using the f150 eco boost to pull fifth wheels, IMO that's not what the truck was built for but they are doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I just concluded our research on travel trailers and purchased a Mallard M312. We were looking at the M32 and were pretty set on it but I noticed it didn't seem to have much along the lines of storage. We decided upon the M312 because it had the outdoor kitchen, u-shaped dinette, queen size rear bunks, 2 doors and plenty of storage. If you haven't looked at this model I highly recommend it. I also feel your pain about towing with a half ton. I'm towing with a 1/2 ton Silverado with the HD tow package. I've upgraded my rear springs and added Firestone bags. Fortunately I only have to tow it twice a year in the spring/fall. Good luck with your research!

G54FL

Re: M32 & Mallard general satisfaction?

My wife and I just concluded our research on travel trailers and purchased a Mallard M312. We were looking at the M32 and were pretty set on it but I noticed it didn't seem to have much along the lines of storage. We decided upon the M312 because it had the outdoor kitchen, u-shaped dinette, queen size rear bunks, 2 doors and plenty of storage. If you haven't looked at this model I highly recommend it. I also feel your pain about towing with a half ton. I'm towing with a 1/2 ton Silverado with the HD tow package. I've upgraded my rear springs and added Firestone bags. Fortunately I only have to tow it twice a year in the spring/fall. Good luck with your research!

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I looked at the M312, but ruled it out since the bunkhouse was not its own room (have 3 kids 7 through 17 and we'll need it!)...but I do really like the configuration, and entertainment area! But alas... the M32 storage struggle. I've got some woodworking skills, and almost considering modifying the dinette to have a pull out drawer on full slides on both sides. Matching the wood veneer would be the challenge I think... such a missed opportunity for them to add storage.

- - - Updated - - -

We we have been satisfied with our m32. The pantry being opposite side of the fridge has not been an issue for us. It would be nice to have easier access to the storage under the dinette seating. My only issue with the bunkhouse area is the heat vent in ours only pushes out cold air no matter how long the heater runs.

As as far as your tow vehicle is concerned make sure you double check all it ratings and consider the area you live and places you plan to go (flat land, local, long trips, mountains). I have recently seen more and more people using the f150 eco boost to pull fifth wheels, IMO that's not what the truck was built for but they are doing it.

Thanks - yes, primarily flat, since we live in FL. I'd imagine the Smoky Mountain surrounding area would be the most mountains we'll be seeing right away, and possibly up the east coast this summer. Agreed on the Ecoboost, and half tons not pull fifth wheels - I wouldn't do it. I'm "thinking" we'll be ok between WD hitch, 12,000lb rated tow capacity, and the relatively low tongue and overall weight of the Mallard.

A little concerning on your heat issue. My biggest concern is the units ability to stay cooled down in the summer with a single AC unit. You guys may have not owned yours long enough to comment on summer heat & cooling?

G54FL

Pull out drawer storage on dinette of M32 and other Mallards?

I'm looking at the M32, but keep struggling with the apparent lack of storage (particularly a pantry). How are you M32 owners doing with the storage in the unit?

I'm wondering if anybody has considered modifying the dinette to have a cabinet door or pull out drawers on dinette ends. How is the area under the seating? I'm wondering if a big drawer on full slides could be retro-fitted? I've built cabinets in the past...just not sure how things look under there until I can get to a Camping World. Thoughts?

Steve.Twoknee

Re: Pull out drawer storage on dinette of M32 and other Mallards?

I'm looking at the M32, but keep struggling with the apparent lack of storage (particularly a pantry). How are you M32 owners doing with the storage in the unit?

I'm wondering if anybody has considered modifying the dinette to have a cabinet door or pull out drawers on dinette ends. How is the area under the seating? I'm wondering if a big drawer on full slides could be retro-fitted? I've built cabinets in the past...just not sure how things look under there until I can get to a Camping World. Thoughts?

The pantry in our M32 has worked just fine, with us having enough room for what we need/take with respect to dry foods and cans. I did however, add a drawer under the dinette. It is plastic with plastic 'runners' that it slides in and out on. Picked it up at CW. It has worked well for additional storage; silverware and the like. You need to be careful not to drill up through the table, so add in some washers!
I did look at the idea of putting a cabinet door on the side of the dinette bench, but it didn't appear to me, with how it is set up/constructed it would gain me much if any easier to access space. I still keep a few things under both bench seats, but they are those things I just don't need very often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G54FL

The pantry in our M32 has worked just fine, with us having enough room for what we need/take with respect to dry foods and cans. I did however, add a drawer under the dinette. It is plastic with plastic 'runners' that it slides in and out on. Picked it up at CW. It has worked well for additional storage; silverware and the like. You need to be careful not to drill up through the table, so add in some washers!
I did look at the idea of putting a cabinet door on the side of the dinette bench, but it didn't appear to me, with how it is set up/constructed it would gain me much if any easier to access space. I still keep a few things under both bench seats, but they are those things I just don't need very often.

Thanks for the reply Steve. When you refer to your pantry - are you talking about the 2 overhead cabinets to the left of the microwave?

Also - where you mention you added a drawer under the dinette...you mean just mounted it under the tabletop? If so, no issues with knees whacking it? Interesting idea.

Steve.Twoknee

Thanks for the reply Steve. When you refer to your pantry - are you talking about the 2 overhead cabinets to the left of the microwave?

Also - where you mention you added a drawer under the dinette...you mean just mounted it under the tabletop? If so, no issues with knees whacking it? Interesting idea.

Nope! Next to the micro we keep some plates, some spices, and some pots and pans (light soup pans), a strainer, and other smaller items.
We use the cabinet across from the bathroom, above the vacuum as our pantry and it works great. If you use that for towels, I personally, would relocate them! Extra towels are great for the under the master bed storage!

The drawer under the dinette fits between the two posts and is not very deep, but it is fairly long so it has never been an issue with knees.

I'm getting my camper out of storage this week (hopefully), so I can send photos if you need/want soon.

G54FL

Nope! Next to the micro we keep some plates, some spices, and some pots and pans (light soup pans), a strainer, and other smaller items.
We use the cabinet across from the bathroom, above the vacuum as our pantry and it works great. If you use that for towels, I personally, would relocate them! Extra towels are great for the under the master bed storage!

The drawer under the dinette fits between the two posts and is not very deep, but it is fairly long so it has never been an issue with knees.

I'm getting my camper out of storage this week (hopefully), so I can send photos if you need/want soon.

That would be great, thanks!! Good perspective on the closet across from the bathroom. I guess I was thinking of that as clothes storage for the kids, but I'll have to rethink everything

Steve.Twoknee

That would be great, thanks!! Good perspective on the closet across from the bathroom. I guess I was thinking of that as clothes storage for the kids, but I'll have to rethink everything

Oh no! Don't rethink everything. We've added simple over the door towel rack that hangs inside the bathroom for towels and on the coach side of that we've added coat hooks (also over the door design) for, well, coats/jackets.
Not sure how many kiddos you have, but you could always remove one of the couch bed things and put in its place a three or so drawer Rubbermaid dresser. We opted not to do that, but this camper was a downgrade in size for us as the one in college is too busy to join us much and the one in HS, well, she is in HS! Still likes to go, but it doesn't always fit in her schedule, LOL.

If I did this correctly, this link should take you to the 'add a drawer' I put under the dinette:
http://m.campingworld.com/shopping/item/add-a-drawer/38133

klp605

After extensive thought and comparison, we purchased a M32. CW is currently doing the corrections from our PDI. The bunkhouse is pre-wired for a 2nd a/c unit and we negotiated a 2nd a/c in our purchase.

It seemed to be a general consensus from fellow campers a 2nd a/c is necessary. Also, research showed that similar units (size and layout) sold in the south had 2 a/c's. I even spoke to some southern dealers and knew for my families circumstances, we would need it.

Storage--As a family of 4 with a medically fragile child, the amount of storage is not a concern. We have a TON of medical supplies we have to travel with. A little creativity maximizes storage. Command hooks (towel, coats, keys, pot holder, fly swatter, flash light, broom, etc), magnetic spice rack, "closet" shoe hanger on shower rod, closet maid stacking shelves....

I plan on adding access doors on the dinette storage

If you type M32 or Mallard 32 into the search bar, you will find threads that may help.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PeterS

Hi Guys...just throwing in our 2¢ worth here, as we had the exact same thoughts on our next trailer, i.e.

* must have outdoor kitchen (with fully plumbed sink) and full bunkhouse
* ample storage (we were pampered with storage in our Puma 28BHS)
* GVWR

We visited and compared a ton of models at the Houston RV shows, as well as talking to fellow campers and RV sales places over a couple of years before deciding to upgrade to a brand new M32 last year. (CW had a great deal in Houston)

* GVWR is 8600 lbs, however that is with all tanks full, and besides ~5G of fresh water we travel with empty tanks, so about 800 lbs+ lighter. That puts me well into the towing comfort zone - see signature.

* Not having the bunkhouse door turned out to be not a big issue. Noise is not muffled more with a door anyway. And it gives actually more space as no open door is in the way.

* Space! As mentioned above we were pampered before withour fam of 5 plus two dogs, but there is actually ample storage in this RV, which we organize in large as follows:
* all pans are in the oven
* pots and plates and cups are in the storage above the sink (additional cups in the outdoor cabinet, i.e. no need to go inside)
* all cleaning supplies are in the cupboard under the sink
* the pantry across is easy to access and we use three shelves for supplies (using tension rods to reduce sliding); top shelve is beach and shower towels
* bunkroom has all kids clothes and blankets (3 shelves, one per kid :) )
* under master storage is for large, seldom used items like extra cooler, stand up fan, foldable wagon
* under dinette storage (thinking of adding doors) is for the vacuum parts, the dinette bed parts and still has tons of open space
--> check out some of the mods posted in this forum, many great ideas !

The second AC has not been an issue for us in the Houston heat, and the bunkhouse heat issue is resolved by fixing the ducting (or add a second line).

Cheers

Cyfans4

Congrats - We love our M32!

1) I did not know that it was wired for a second AC unit. I haven't had problems, but it runs hard when its 90+ degrees in Iowa humid summers. I may look into that.
2) The storage under dining - my wife has requested doors, but I may put them on the sides to the hall, and under the table to get to the back part.
Outside of that - with a family of 6 i really haven't ran into storage issues.

My biggest issues:
1) Hooking up satellite dish - I cant seem to figure out how to do it right. I have a feeling that I will be drilling a hole out from the cabinets in the bunkhouse out the back - to pull a satelite line in, and then running the signal back through the camper. I really wish these can satellite ready.
2) TV in bedroom - I know you can flip that around, but if the wife and I want to watch something different one of us concedes. I may try to rig something up for that.

After extensive thought and comparison, we purchased a M32. CW is currently doing the corrections from our PDI. The bunkhouse is pre-wired for a 2nd a/c unit and we negotiated a 2nd a/c in our purchase.

It seemed to be a general consensus from fellow campers a 2nd a/c is necessary. Also, research showed that similar units (size and layout) sold in the south had 2 a/c's. I even spoke to some southern dealers and knew for my families circumstances, we would need it.

Storage--As a family of 4 with a medically fragile child, the amount of storage is not a concern. We have a TON of medical supplies we have to travel with. A little creativity maximizes storage. Command hooks (towel, coats, keys, pot holder, fly swatter, flash light, broom, etc), magnetic spice rack, "closet" shoe hanger on shower rod, closet maid stacking shelves....

I plan on adding access doors on the dinette storage

If you type M32 or Mallard 32 into the search bar, you will find threads that may help.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk