Good Sam, AAA, or NRA Roadside Assistance

Todster

Ok. AAA coverage for the year is just about up. I just found out, with our coverage, they will:

Truck-Tow the vehicle or assist for up to 200 miles

RV-Roadside assist or tow up to 200 miles

But.... should the truck have problems, they will only tow the truck. It's up to you to arrange for your RV to be towed somewhere. The reverse is true too, but if they towed your RV for some reason, your on your own to drive your vehicle (this ones not an issue obviously)

Do any of the others offer to tow both in the event the tow vehicle breaks down? What's everyone using these days that covers their other vehicles too?

Thanks in advance,

Todd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have both Good Sam's Emergency Roadside assistance and Coach Net. In over the last 15 years of towing, we have never had to call GS(we have had the longest) or CN so I can not respond on how quickly they respond to emergency needs or towing problems. We are heading out for a 11,000 mile trip this spring/summer and pray that we wont have to call either of them.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We have the Good Sam Road Service and have only had to use it once. We were at the 2011 Goshen Rally when I noticed an inner dual was flat. The response was quick and the problem isolated to a faulty valve stem cap (plastic pass-through). The young man that came out gave me a set of 7 metal ones to replace the OEM caps.

Todster

Interesting. Coach net. Have they been around long? I've been doing my homework and so far am leaning towards Good Sam.

danemayer

We've called Good Sam Roadside Assistance 3 times over the past 6 1/2 years.

First was when a radiator hose blew off. They sent a local guy with some antifreeze. There was some confusion on their end on how to identify interstate highway locations, but eventually they got there.

Second was when a shackle link broke on the suspension. I noticed it after backing into our storage parking spot. They offered to send a repair guy out and pay the travel charge. I ended up towing it a mile to a trailer shop.

Third was after a tire failed. We ran on the spare for about 100 miles to get to our campground. GS contacted a servicer on our behalf who brought a matching tire within a few hours. We paid the servicer for his time and for the tire.

rxbristol

Interesting. Coach net. Have they been around long? I've been doing my homework and so far am leaning towards Good Sam.

They have been around for years and here is what I said about Coach-Net in another thread:

"Have had Coach Net for years. One year I used them four times--three blowouts and one flat (and people wonder why I now have 18 ply lowboy tires). One time, they went way above and beyond to get me additional help that their company was not obligated to do. They stuck by me and I've stuck to them."

BigGuy82

Ok. AAA coverage for the year is just about up. I just found out, with our coverage, they will:

Truck-Tow the vehicle or assist for up to 200 miles

RV-Roadside assist or tow up to 200 miles

But.... should the truck have problems, they will only tow the truck. It's up to you to arrange for your RV to be towed somewhere. The reverse is true too, but if they towed your RV for some reason, your on your own to drive your vehicle (this ones not an issue obviously)

Do any of the others offer to tow both in the event the tow vehicle breaks down? What's everyone using these days that covers their other vehicles too?

Thanks in advance,

Todd

I have Geico. Had truck problems at 11 pm on a Saturday night on I-65 in northern Alabama. Within 90 minutes, I had a full blown semi-wrecker on site. He hooked up the entire rig, disconnected the driveshaft to the rear wheels and towed us 20+ miles to our campground, where he dropped off the Bighorn. Then, he towed the truck another 5+ miles to a dealer, dropped it off and took me back to the campground. For some reason, I seem to remember paying a small amount ($25?),but who cares?

On Monday morning, I called the Ford dealer, who said he couldn't get to the problem until late in the week (Friday). I called Geico, explained the problem and they had the truck towed to another dealer about 15 miles away - that same morning. Oh yeah, lets don't forget about the rental car. Again, I paid some sort of trivial fee. If you've got somebody better than that, go with them. Just remember,you get what you pay for.

You can guess who I'm staying with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

I agree coach net is the best. I have had them since 2007. While in Albuquerque they tow me from 75 miles west of town to Kirtland AFB dropped off my fifth wheel then across town to the dealer of my choice

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Todster

Has anyone used coachnet for their personal vehicles? How did that work out?

Todster

Called today and spoke with them about the policies. I'm going to sign with them.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We used to have Good Sam and used it once when we ran out of gas out in the middle of Nowhere, Nebraska:

OutOfGasInNebraska-IMG1198.jpg

I was amazed that we actually had cell service out there.

Took about an hour and a half for the wrecker to get there with gas, so we just relaxed in the trailer and had lunch.

I can't complain about the Good Sam's Roadside Assistance, other than the wrecker guy dumped five gallons of flex fuel in my non-flex fuel Dodge Ram.

Took over a year to blow that stuff out of the engine.

However, while that little layover was a thorn in my side while we were there on the side of the road, as it turned out our lunch break spared us from a massive hail storm that blew through along the Colorado/Nebraska border that we would have been right in the middle of had we not run out of gas.

carl.swoyer

Looks like you were in the middle of nowhere, well maybe not 😂 but I bet you could see it from there.lol

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk