Propane question

callowaykid

Hey everyone
Haven't been on in a while but had a quick question. I have a Heartland Mallard m29 and I just bought a new propane gauge. I went out to hook it up and noticed a switch on the front of the tanks. There is a black arrow that points left right and straight down, I figured left means the left tank is open right means the right one is open, does straight down mean they are both closed or both open? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

PeterS

Down means both open. Which means you run out of propane with both cylinders at the same time.
It is better to use one tank until empty, switch and refill IMO.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Down means both open. Which means you run out of propane with both cylinders at the same time.
It is better to use one tank until empty, switch and refill IMO.

Yes to this ^^^. It will only take one time of running out of propane when you need it to manually switch over the tanks when one is empty. Especially if you need the heater to work.

danemayer

I think that the straight down position sets a timer so both tanks run out at 3AM on the coldest night of the year.:p

callowaykid

Thanks everyone, actually I have had the camper allot 3 years now and just filled up the tanks for the first time the other day. Not much need for a heater around these parts

pegmikef

I do one at a time. If it runs out and it is cold at 3 AM another blanket handles that until morning when I bundle up and switch tanks. The fireplace is fine to take the chill off in the morning until I fix the gas. . . but we are rarely in areas where it gets really cold (below 25 - 30 degrees).

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I think that the straight down position sets a timer so both tanks run out at 3AM on the coldest night of the year.:p

One more thing to that list . . .

That timer will also go off on a national holiday when all of the propane shops are closed!

mlpeloquin

A lot of people use the gauge tank monitor as I did until one of mine leaked. Did not notice it for one tank full, but after I refilled the tank you could smell it. The leak was in the gauge not the gas line seal. I replace both with AP Products 024-1002 Propane Tank Gas Level Indicator. I had to install 3/16" aluminum at the bottom of the tank shelf to keep the sensor from hitting the bottom of the shelf. Now I do not have to go out in the weather or at night to check the propane level. Camping World also stocks them.

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search...tor+Kit&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-002

JohnD

I bought three of those LP gauges at Camping World (two for the RV, one for our grill at the house).

Two out of three leaked . . . I don't trust the one that didn't leak!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
A lot of people use the gauge tank monitor as I did until one of mine leaked. Did not notice it for one tank full, but after I refilled the tank you could smell it. The leak was in the gauge not the gas line seal. I replace both with AP Products 024-1002 Propane Tank Gas Level Indicator. I had to install 3/16" aluminum at the bottom of the tank shelf to keep the sensor from hitting the bottom of the shelf. Now I do not have to go out in the weather or at night to check the propane level. Camping World also stocks them.

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search...tor+Kit&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-002

We have this product as well! We added 3/16" x 2" wood pieces along the sides of the platform that the tank sits on, to raise it accordingly.

Mopeka LLC, the manufacturer of this product, was a sponsor for the West Texas Chapter Rally this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avvidclif

If you go the Camping World route be aware the online price is $15-20 cheaper than the in-store price. They do have about the best price I found.

JohnD

If you go the Camping World route be aware the online price is $15-20 cheaper than the in-store price. They do have about the best price I found.

All you have to do in-store is show them the online price and they will match it.

I just did that again last week for some stuff I picked up.

callowaykid

I have not been keeping the gauge on the tank, I swear I can smell propane leaching out when I do. I know it kind of defeats the purpose but at least I have it to check the tanks of I think they are running low.