ATF: Gateway - Converter

I have a 2016 3650 BH, I am wondering where the converter is located at or is the led lighting 110 Volt. I have an inverter in the front along with a transfer switch.

Regards
Sonny

jbeletti

Hi Sonny,

The Inverter and Transfer Switch you found up front are dedicated to the residential refrigerator.

The Converter is for making 12 vdc from 110 vac. It's located behind the utility wall back where the furnace, water heater and such are. It's usually screwed to the floor.

The LED lighting Heartland uses is 12 vdc.

mlpeloquin

Your converter should have 13.5V with no load and in boost mode 14.3V up to 14.7V max is the specification on the Progressive Dynamics converters. Measure your 12V at the battery. If you have over 14.7V, then you have a bad converter. It will burnout some LED lights as it did mine. Not the built in LED lights from Heartland, but the ones I installed replacing the incandescent light bulbs. My refrigerator had good freezer temps, but the refrigerator was at 50F. It took two days to figure out what was going on. That is when the LED lights started to go out and I measured the DC voltage, called Progressive Dynamics to verify the maximum voltage at boost. One call and trip to Camping World on the road and I had the new converter. It took me six minuets to install. I am going to have Progressive Dynamics repair the old one to have as a spare. Also, if the voltage is high, check the level of the battery electrolyte in each cell. If needed, add distilled water.

justafordguy

My 3650bh is a 2015 but the converter is hidden behind the fuse/breaker panel mounted to a stud in the wall behind the kitchen cabinet. There is no easy way to get to it. You have to remove the fuse/breaker panel. Be careful and make sure you unplug your ac power if you are uncomfortable working live.