Bypass Switch

crussian

As is typical of a particular industry, I have found definitions of a battery on/off switch confusing to say the least. And yes, I am easily confused. That aside I have googled bypass switch purpose which led me to various sites all using different words for bypass. 1. bypass 2. disconnect 3. cutoff. Now, I know the switch has a dual purpose, which is why is can be off or on. When it is on, there is a little RED light that lights up. Where my problem lies is, what does that mean?

If the red light is on, is the battery bank disconnected totally from the coach or does it mean when the red light is off that you are not on shore power and you NEED to run batteries?

The reason I ask is because I have a residential refrigerator. I do have an inverter that takes 12V to 110V. When I am driving I know the umbilical cord to the truck charges the batteries. If the bypass switch is ON, meaning RED light is lit up, is the refrigerator being energized?

Thanks in advance.

C&J

Oregon_Camper

Will make a note to take one when I get home in about 4 hours. I appreciate your response.

C&J
Happy to help. I'm on vacation now in Hawaii, so I have spare time on my hands in between making adult drinks of course. 🍸🍹☀️🌴

Oregon_Camper

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Ya I don't know of any battery cut off switch with lights in them :/

Are you possibly taking about the bypass switch for the antanna / cable TV ? It has a little red light on it when you push the button.

On another note
You would always leave your battery cut off switch ON unless your putting it into​ storage and completely shutting everything down for a few months or longer.

Jerrod

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Oregon_Camper

I wired my cutoff switch so only the emergency brakes and the solar charger are "on" when switch is in the off position. This way my MPPT controller keeps my batteries at 100% all winter long via free solar power. Did I mention how much I love my solar power? 😎

Oregon_Camper

Oregon_Camper

Oh man - rub it in! Enjoy Hawaii!
42d92619722192c9377658c6e95f7f5e.jpg

Does this help? 🌴🍹🍸

Oregon_Camper

LBR

As is typical of a particular industry, I have found definitions of a battery on/off switch confusing to say the least. And yes, I am easily confused. That aside I have googled bypass switch purpose which led me to various sites all using different words for bypass. 1. bypass 2. disconnect 3. cutoff. Now, I know the switch has a dual purpose, which is why is can be off or on. When it is on, there is a little RED light that lights up. Where my problem lies is, what does that mean?

If the red light is on, is the battery bank disconnected totally from the coach or does it mean when the red light is off that you are not on shore power and you NEED to run batteries?

The reason I ask is because I have a residential refrigerator. I do have an inverter that takes 12V to 110V. When I am driving I know the umbilical cord to the truck charges the batteries. If the bypass switch is ON, meaning RED light is lit up, is the refrigerator being energized?

Thanks in advance.

C&J

If this was my question, I personally would simply reenact all of the various scenarios in question....truck running/truck off, battery switch on/off, etc....then open the refrigerator door each time and see if the light comes on....each scenerio would then be answered without a doubt.

On our 5 month old CY, without shore power nor truck running, I thought if the green refrigerator inverter light was on, it would ALWAYS be getting power....Nope.

I thought I could flip the 15A refrigerator breaker off in the 120V panel with leaving the inverter on and the refer would be off, since the breaker was off....Nope.

Sometimes my basic assumptions are proven false and am so glad I took the time to stumble thru them, and reasoned out why I assumed wrong!..

dbbls59

Easy way to tell is try the lights in the coach with the switch in both positions. Of course, you would do this when not hooked to shore power.

crussian

Okay, now that I have looked at the dang thing it is labeled REMOTE SWITCH and it has a GREEN light, not red. Tried twice to upload a picture of it turned on (GREEN light comes on) and with it off. hear a little chirp from the front of the coach so maybe its the inverter or converter.

Anyone have experience with the use and purpose of the REMOTE SWITCH?

TIA

C&J

Attachments

• 20170329_180810.jpg
    20170329_180810.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 20170329_180803.jpg
    20170329_180803.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 65
Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Okay, now that I have looked at the dang thing it is labeled REMOTE SWITCH and it has a GREEN light, not red. Tried twice to upload a picture of it turned on (GREEN light comes on) and with it off. hear a little chirp from the front of the coach so maybe its the inverter or converter.

TIA

C&J

- - - Updated - - -

TIA

C&J

The remote switch is for the inverter that powers your residential refrigerator when not plugged into shore power. For more info, take a look at our Residential Refrigerator Guide.

Oregon_Camper

The remote switch is for the inverter that powers your residential refrigerator when not plugged into shore power. For more info, take a look at our Residential Refrigerator Guide.

Green LED illuminated means the inverter (12v to 110v) is ON and is creating AC to run your refrigerator. No LED...no power to refrigerator.

The battery "cutoff" is typically located in the front storage compartment, and for the most part is a round device...with no LED's.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

To add to Dan's explanation. That invertor run your fridge only. And it run off of your 12V batteries bank. If you only have 1 battery you won't want to run it on 12v for a long period of time, if you don't have another source charging your battery. Like the truck running while you travel or solar panels.
I'm not really sure how long 1 12v battery will support the invertor.
My bank of 4 group 27 12v batteries will run it about 24 hours inside a building with no sun.
Out in the sun I can go forever.
Not sure what everyone else is finding there rigs can do as we have more and more RVs with residential fridge's​ in them.

Oregon_Camper

My bank of 4 group 27 12v batteries will run it about 24 hours inside a building with no sun.

I never would have guessed it was that much of a draw on 4 group 27 batteries.....Yikes!!

Gotta love having our solar systems in place....100% power everyday for FREE!!! :) (well....after the investment cost..LOL)

crussian

Huge thanks to everyone that responded. I totally understand another portion of my rig. Solar is next but after retirement. Upgrade batteries as well.

Thanks again.

C&J

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I just found that out today. I dropped it off at the dealer yesterday morning for it's second application of the Cilijet wax treatment. It's been inside the building a little over 24 hours and when I went to check on it it was off. I made them plug it in and the temps on the fridge were still on target. So I don't think it was off that long. So that's where I'm getting the 24hour number from.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I just found that out today. I dropped it off at the dealer yesterday morning for it's second application of the Cilijet wax treatment. It's been inside the building a little over 24 hours and when I went to check on it it was off. I made them plug it in and the temps on the fridge were still on target. So I don't think it was off that long. So that's where I'm getting the 24hour number from.

What batteries do you have?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I have 4 batteries from American battery a local manufacturer here.
I'm guessing on this disciption of them because it's not here right now.
They are group 27 Deep cycle maintenance free RV/Marine batteries.

cdec3cc4fcc2062809f572f5f546d176.jpg

jbeletti

Ah - 4 batteries... All the difference :)

I have 2 batteries and I know I can get at least 12 hours of refer operation from them. If I owned the RV, I would add a 200 watt solar panel to my roof just to take up the slack between what I draw from the battery bank while running down the road and what the truck can supply back to the bank.