First tow with new 2017 Ram 3500 dually - just my 2 cents

szewczyk_john

In January we purchased a new 2017 3500 Laramie long box dually with Aisin tranny and 4.10 gearing. Yesterday was the first time I was able to use it to tow my trailer and we are all set up outside the paperclip known as Martinsville Speedway enjoying 75 degree sunny weather. This truck worked so much better than anything I could have thought of or things that I have been told by other owners on this forum.
-fuel milage is down from the 5.9 but I still got 9.9 MPG and was pulling up to 70 MPH. New engine only has 2700 miles on it so the engine is not even close to reaching its potential. this will improve.
-the cab on this new truck is amazingly quite and well insulated. very little noise comes into the cab and the alpine speaker system produces awesome sound.
- I used the travel link system to find the lowest priced diesel on the way down and that was slick but the navigation did not function anywhere near as good or as clear as I thought it should. This is the navigation system thru the travel link app and not the normal navigation.
- the rear air bag suspension system worked flawlessly. After hooking up the trailer the bags took air and raised the load. When I hit the alternate trailer height option the bags let air out and the ride was lowered. very neat stuff.
-due to the dually rear end, I had to purchase a step stool to air up the air hitch and so that I could reach the jaws lock of the hitch.
-really like having the wire in the bed of the truck instead of hanging out over the tailgate.
-integrated trailer brake was amazingly easier to set up and use. worked so much better than the Prodigy unit I installed on the old Ram.
-exhaust brake is twice is solid as the one one the 2006 Ram. Amazingly brought truck down in speed while in cruise control and seems just so much more powerful in helping control the entire setup when slowing down.
- I really liked the fact that the options stayed active after shutting down the truck and restarting. The old Ram would disengage the trailer tow/haul mode and you would have to remember to activate it. This truck left the exhaust brake/tow/haul/alternate trailer height so it is one less thing I need to remember to do.
-Long box allows or so much more in the bed but I do miss the old Mega Cab. There was just so much storage space in the cab and I do miss all those storage areas. I have to keep some stuff in the bed and it is harder to get to then just reaching behind the rear seats.
-the dually is just so incredibly solid and stiff. I can not believe the difference between the DRWs and SRWs. I can't believe how much more stable the entire unit feels under all conditions. From dead starts, highway speeds getting passed by semi going 20 MPH faster, slowing down. I is so much better and I am not sure that I can even put it in words to make those doubters understand. Not only does the unit seem easier to drive but I felt better the nI ever did before after almost 8 hours of travel. I was not worried about situations like I would be thinking about them in the old truck. I have said this before and I am sure that I will get negative comments for this posting but opting to get the dually model was the right way to go. I have already admitted that I do not need this big of nor this powerful of a truck for the unit I have. However, the $1200.00 option is money well spent. I use this as a daily driver so this was a very difficult decision for me and I am so **** pleased that I made the one we did. I will gladly give up the MPG and the $1200.00 dollars for the piece of mind I had while I was behind the wheel yesterday. The doubters can make any comment they want to me, I felt safe, in control, and more sturdy then I ever did when I was pulling with the SRW. One photo I snapped after filling up on the way.

IMG_0389.JPG
-

Oregon_Camper

I agree with you 100%. Moving from our SRW to the DRW was night and day for our towing needs.

Ford...Dodge...Chevy....neither matter to me as long as you're happy and safe behind the wheel.

Enjoy the new truck!!! :)

Arvis

We have 2017 Ram 3500 DRW long box Cummins. We love this truck. We tow 2011 Heartland Sundance 3100 SE, hardly even know its behind us.. Great truck. You made a good choice!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bones

When I switch from my SRW to a DRW it definitely was night and day. I just wish I had done that the first go around so for me it was costly.

winterton

Congratulations. I have been buying dually's for the last thirty years and only tried a swd for a year in all that time. After two close calls with a 15k Bighorn, we went back and couldn't be happier. Believe it or not , you will be parallel parking that bad boy before you know it. Enloy!!!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Sweet looking truck! Looks good and glad you have a much better towing experience!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
Told ya John ;)

Maybe next year we can do Martinsville with you.
For 2018 my vacation schedule opens up quite a few different possibilities.

Coming to Dover?

szewczyk_john

would love to have you down here with us. You know they installed a complete state of the art LED lighting system after the fall race last year. I know they tested them about 2 months ago. Cant wait for night races at that paperclip. This is by far my favorite track and we decided that this will be our last year for for so many NASCAR races but we agreed that we would never give up the spring and fall Martinsville races.

porthole

Retired
Will have to pick your brain next time we meet up.
Already have camp trip booked this year for the fall race, so that is out for this year.

RonTimmer

I am contemplating buying a new truck and I am struggling with this decision right now, I have no doubt that the DRW is more stable but I currently have Ram Boxes on my truck which I absolutely love and I can only get with SRWs. I am not sure which way I will go but I appreciate your comments, they will help me make an informed decision which ever way I end up going.

Thanks,
Ron

danemayer

I am contemplating buying a new truck and I am struggling with this decision right now, I have no doubt that the DRW is more stable but I currently have Ram Boxes on my truck which I absolutely love and I can only get with SRWs. I am not sure which way I will go but I appreciate your comments, they will help me make an informed decision which ever way I end up going.

Thanks,
Ron
Ron,

When it was time to leave our GMC behind, we looked at RAMs and loved the Ram Boxes. I was so disappointed to learn they weren't available on duallies. But even though our GMC was a SRW, and even though I loved the Ram Boxes, we went with the RAM dually. No regrets.

Georgia_Biker

Ron,

When it was time to leave our GMC behind, we looked at RAMs and loved the Ram Boxes. I was so disappointed to learn they weren't available on duallies. But even though our GMC was a SRW, and even though I loved the Ram Boxes, we went with the RAM dually. No regrets.

After my "Weigh-In" at the Goshen Rally (OMG! - we were overweight) - when I got back to Georgia I immediately ordered a New RAM Laramie Limited DRW. The Ram 3500 SRW I have now and the previous 2500 both have Ram Boxes which I really liked.

The new DRW has the 8' bed without Ram Boxes so I have been shopping for storage boxes for behind the cab and it seems no one offers anything for the Ram. Does anyone have anything in their Rams?

szewczyk_john

I have a low profile tool box/fuel tank combo. Sits low enough that it is hidden under the cover. There are plenty that will fit but they are universal and not made especially for one brand over another. I did not like the ram box as I thought they took to much room away from the bed. I have also seen boxes made for tucking under the sides of the bed rails and there is one made for going between the tail gate and your fifth wheel hitch. You get plastic on the cheap or stainless and spend a lot more.